Beer ratings sites

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
What do use?

Ratebeer seems to overate beers. How many 99 beers can there be?
Untappd is used by people like my wife who rate all IPA's as 1 and coors light as 5
pintley I always forget about
Beeradvocate seems to be the best. I do get a little annoyed by some of the reviews.

ILikeCy

Dec 16, 2008
Omaha
I really like Beeradvocate. What annoys you about their reviews? Is it the way reviewers act like they can distinguish 10 different flavors from a beer, many of which are probably not there in the first place?

"The delicious delight of a beer delivers the straight forward grapefruit flavor just as the nose promises. The sweet pulp of fresh-picked ruby reds couldn't be more spot-on. Resiny as the citrus flavors seem to coat the mouth while the stripping of enamel commences. Soft caramel malts support the hops with the supple and elegant sweetness of powdered sugar and honey, but do so without contrast- make no mistake about it, this is a hop-forward ale with the likes that rarely seen. A very delicate yet hop-dominant balance throughout. Any estery fruitiness would weave into the hop matrix and inform the beer with complementary notes of tropical mangoes, apricots, and pineapple. Succulent and savory throughout, even as the beer's elegant hop flavor develops into soft resiny bitterness that grips the gullet with kid gloves in finish and aftertaste. Only the strong taste of alcohol for moderate 8% that reminds me of super glue is the only slight defect in taste."

Yeah, that annoys me, too. I just want to know if it tastes good or not. BA is really good for the ratings and for getting ideas for new beers to try out.

roundball

Dec 8, 2013
Iowa City area
I think BeerAdvocate ratings most closely align with my tastes. I often don't even read the reviews (which are a little "flowery") and just look at the rating score to decide whether I should try a beer I find.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I really like Beeradvocate. What annoys you about their reviews? Is it the way reviewers act like they can distinguish 10 different flavors from a beer, many of which are probably not there in the first place?

"The delicious delight of a beer delivers the straight forward grapefruit flavor just as the nose promises. The sweet pulp of fresh-picked ruby reds couldn't be more spot-on. Resiny as the citrus flavors seem to coat the mouth while the stripping of enamel commences. Soft caramel malts support the hops with the supple and elegant sweetness of powdered sugar and honey, but do so without contrast- make no mistake about it, this is a hop-forward ale with the likes that rarely seen. A very delicate yet hop-dominant balance throughout. Any estery fruitiness would weave into the hop matrix and inform the beer with complementary notes of tropical mangoes, apricots, and pineapple. Succulent and savory throughout, even as the beer's elegant hop flavor develops into soft resiny bitterness that grips the gullet with kid gloves in finish and aftertaste. Only the strong taste of alcohol for moderate 8% that reminds me of super glue is the only slight defect in taste."

Yeah, that annoys me, too. I just want to know if it tastes good or not. BA is really good for the ratings and for getting ideas for new beers to try out.

Yes, that's what I was talking about. When I hear people say that a beer smells like the saddle on a horse, I think they've gone too far.

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
I think BeerAdvocate ratings most closely align with my tastes. I often don't even read the reviews (which are a little "flowery") and just look at the rating score to decide whether I should try a beer I find.
Yep. Well said.

bufante

Nov 27, 2006
DMI
When I'm trading/buying beer I use Beer Advocate mostly. Tie breakers go to Untapped. Same name on Untapped, add me.

jumbopackage

Sep 18, 2007
I like to watch them all. The most informed ratings are generally Ratebeer. The most fanatical are on BeerAdvocate. The most common is untappd.

That's mostly just my observation, though.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron