Thug U

SplitIdentity

Mar 31, 2007
Minnesota
Unfortunately I have

Yes. By most tavernhawks I know.

That surprises me. I always thought this was a message board phenomenon.

I will say this, I was in a tiny town a few weeks ago, wearing an isu shirt, and was approached by an iowa fan who asked if I went to that " lame Iowa state college ".

I said I did, and he said the only problem he had with isu was that he meet johnny orr one time and thought he was rude.

CarlHungus

Feb 19, 2012
Ankeny

I will say this, I was in a tiny town a few weeks ago, wearing an isu shirt, and was approached by an iowa fan who asked if I went to that " lame Iowa state college ".

I said I did, and he said the only problem he had with isu was that he meet johnny orr one time and thought he was rude.

That surprises me. I've never really heard anyone, including Iowa fans, speak badly of Johnny

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006

I can count three people, in person and serious, that spewed the ThugU montra. I stopped talking ISU BB with UofI fans in the IC/E. IA area..... It helps to keep my hope in humanity restored.

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
A couple alcohol-related arrest does not Iowa Thug U make. As for McCabe, he acted stupidly, but the guy was asking for it. I've known plenty of people who have gotten into a bar fight, and that didn't make them thugs.

agreed. Some Clone fans need to realize our players screw up too (Nader and Thomas)

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
I liked this quote: "Not that I condone a player getting in a fight. But he got into a fight. It takes two people to fight. Because he won the fight, he was the bad guy."

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
I liked this quote: "Not that I condone a player getting in a fight. But he got into a fight. It takes two people to fight. Because he won the fight, he was the bad guy."

Franny said that?

If so, holy cow, he's clueless about more than BB.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
The only thing that could have made that article better would be Fran talking about a contract extension

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
If Fran would defend his player's actions on the court as much as he defends their issues in court he would be a much more liked coach.

brokenloginagain

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2006
i feel like more cyclone fanatics should like mccabe - both can't stand hawkeye fans.

i'm with fran on this one. mccabe took more ^%$% from his own fans than any kid deserves - if mccabe decided he'd had enough one night and decked an idiot in a bar, so be it.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
hes completely correct.

Not true. There are plenty of fights that don't involve two people:

Man vs. chair.
hqdefault.jpg

Man vs. water bottle.

[video=youtube;BoybCLkkJVA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoybCLkkJVA[/video]

Man vs. notebook.
fran-mccaffery-kick.gif

Man vs. Hemorrhoids.
06_FranRocketLaunch.jpg

cylove

Jul 14, 2014
Fran is a pretty smart guy, and he is not a bad coach. His demeanor, recruiting, and decision making down the stretches of games has prevented him from being considered elite.

He has actually hurt his team over and over with his rage. i don't think it is an act, I think he is genuinely angry. The fact that he passes on responsibility for his actions should be a red flag too.

As far as recruiting, there is no way that he ever thought it would be as tough as it has been at Iowa. Unless you are Cal, you are never going to get everyone you want, but they have been reduced to 7-8 choices in recruits where a mediocre iowa is the kid's best offer.

As far as his coaching goes, just how many times can you lose games the same way?

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
Fran is a pretty smart guy, and he is not a bad coach. His demeanor, recruiting, and decision making down the stretches of games has prevented him from being considered elite.

He has actually hurt his team over and over with his rage. i don't think it is an act, I think he is genuinely angry. The fact that he passes on responsibility for his actions should be a red flag too.

As far as recruiting, there is no way that he ever thought it would be as tough as it has been at Iowa. Unless you are Cal, you are never going to get everyone you want, but they have been reduced to 7-8 choices in recruits where a mediocre iowa is the kid's best offer.

As far as his coaching goes, just how many times can you lose games the same way?

No, he's terrible.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron