Samsung S-3 and a 12 year old

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
My MIL gave my son her old Samsung S-3 phone when she upgraded to an iPhone. I have no intention of actually activating it for him (not sure if it is even possible given we used different carriers), but was wondering if it would be possible for him to use it with a texting app on public wi-fi to contact us, or even dial for emergencies.

Anyone have any experience with this or better suggestions?

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
I don't see why a texting app wouldn't work on wi-fi. Seems like a good idea to me.

azepp

Dec 9, 2009
Ankeny
We've done this and used the app Line to let our kids send text messages or call us over wi-fi.

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
My MIL gave my son her old Samsung S-3 phone when she upgraded to an iPhone. I have no intention of actually activating it for him (not sure if it is even possible given we used different carriers), but was wondering if it would be possible for him to use it with a texting app on public wi-fi to contact us, or even dial for emergencies.

Anyone have any experience with this or better suggestions?
Yes, you absolutely should be able to get a texting app that will work with wi-fi.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
If anything it's a valuable exercise in carrying something like a phone and not losing it.

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA
Google voice and GrooVe IP should do everything you want. I used it on a Samsung Galaxy Player to make phone calls over WiFi.

Edit: Looks like Google Voice ended outside access so you would need Ring.To and GrooVe IP (see directions on GrooVe IP's app page in the Play store)

Last edited:

mb7299

Mar 15, 2013
Iowa Falls
wow this is great stuff, just switched to a smart phone on Tracfone so something like this will be awesome. Thanks for posting info on all of this, great stuff :)

ISU22CY

Dec 15, 2012
Iowa
I wish we were in the day and age where we had wifi everywhere we went so Verizon could shove it right up their tight buttholes. Been on the same plan for 6 years because I refuse to give up my unlimited data plan #$25.00yall figured they were just going to throttle back my data, well turns out they have throttled it back to less then 1/10th of the normal speed...also found out they are no longer going to uphold the grandfathered in data plans man what I wouldn't give to just take them to court ........and now my rant it over and to provide some foundation to the OP there are amazing messaging apps along with calling/walki talkie apps available to use on WIFI.