ISUAA tip of the cap (San Diego especially)

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

vmbplayer

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2008
Ankeny
So to many of you this may come as not a big deal because you may have lived outside the midwest and already know this.

I was scheduled to go to San Diego last Saturday out of Des Moines. Something that would usually have no downside right? I was going to be arriving before any of my fellow coworkers Saturday afternoon/evening free to do what I wanted. I was somewhat disappointed to say the least because had I still been in Iowa last weekend I would have almost certainly been headed to KC. The thought of watching the Big 12 championship game in a hotel room alone was far from appealing. So I looked up the ISUAA gamewatch location online. I've never really gone to one since I've always lived within 4-5 hours of Ames and had plenty of cyclone fans to partake in watching a game with. It struck me how awesome it was that I could walk into a bar on the beach in San Diego 1700 miles away from Ames and sit down with a group of Cyclones I'd never met before and immediately feel welcomed and part of a group. Thanks to that I was able to watch the Cyclones take home a title with a group of fans screaming just as loud as I was in Southern California about a basketball game much of the city probably didn't even know was happening.

Huge thanks to the ISUAA in San Diego for being so welcoming. And a shoutout to all you fanatics that are presidents and active members in your ISUAA clubs throughout the US. That is a pretty awesome thing you guys make happen for something as seemingly simple as gathering at a bar to watch a sporting event. Well done.

clone2011

Dec 11, 2007
Agreed. I lived in Denver for a while and always enjoyed popping in to the football gamewatches held downtown. Now I'm the only Cyclone (that I know of) in my current town and miss having other ISU fans around during games.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I do the gamewatches here in the Twin Cities and we have people dropping in from out of town all of the time. It's part of the whole "Stay Connected" theme. A few years back I was in Washington D.C. the weekend of the ISU/Iowa football game and the D.C. gamewatch was happening just a metro ride away from where I was staying. Even "knew" a couple of people there from online ISU forums.