Doug McD

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
That didn't stop Brian Ferentz from living in subsidized housing. A free ride is nice, no matter how much money you have.

But Greg gets an extra player out of the deal. It's not so noble when you get something in return. It's still real money, of course.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I highly doubt Jacobsen was screwed in the whole deal. I can't imagine that there weren't very frank conversations between Greg, Ben and Doug as to exactly what the score was before he committed; i.e. Doug will play for Ben at UNI if Greg is still at ISU or is out of a job. If Greg finds another gig, Doug is free to go play for Greg.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
But Greg gets an extra player out of the deal. It's not so noble when you get something in return. It's still real money, of course.

He's not giving the National POTY a scholarship, his own child. He's paying his own money for a player that could have had a free ride pretty much anywhere else. You can certainly look at it that way, or you can say that he's in essence paying a scholarship for a player who wouldn't have gotten one. It's plenty noble.

isuforlife

Sep 6, 2007
He's not giving the National POTY a scholarship, his own child. He's paying his own money for a player that could have had a free ride pretty much anywhere else. You can certainly look at it that way, or you can say that he's in essence paying a scholarship for a player who wouldn't have gotten one. It's plenty noble.

wrong the player was a 6th year player

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
wrong the player was a 6th year player

If he would have gotten the scholarship, someone else wouldn't have. What's your point? He still essentially paid for another player's education.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN

I'm not mad at Greg and I have tried to be fair about this.

If I was a coach with a kid who was a quality player and s/he wanted to play for me I would pay their way unless they really wanted that scholarship status. While it is what I would do, I don't think there is anything noble about it. It is simply a way to get another scholarship athlete on the roster.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I'm not mad at Greg and I have tried to be fair about this.

If I was a coach with a kid who was a quality player and s/he wanted to play for me I would pay their way unless they really wanted that scholarship status. While it is what I would do, I don't think there is anything noble about it. It is simply a way to get another scholarship athlete on the roster.

I agree it's the right thing to do - but it's still $60K or more when looking at classes, housing, and more over four years (and many athletes stretch it to five). And, again, this is assuming your kid is the National POTY. It's basically funding a scholarship for the athletic dept - that's a nice thing to do with your money, even if it's the right thing to do. I think it's sour grapes for the people who want to say crap about it. We get it, you don't like McDermott. Move on.

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley

Greg said in an interview that Doug will pay him back after he is in the NBA. If he did it so a player who didn't play much and a glue guy it'd be noble, but he did it so one of his best could play. A good, smart move? Yes. Noble? No.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
I agree it's the right thing to do - but it's still $60K or more when looking at classes, housing, and more over four years (and many athletes stretch it to five). And, again, this is assuming your kid is the National POTY. It's basically funding a scholarship for the athletic dept - that's a nice thing to do with your money, even if it's the right thing to do. I think it's sour grapes for the people who want to say crap about it. We get it, you don't like McDermott. Move on.
I wonder if he just told Creighton, pay me 60k more per year than you would have.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
UNI is the only one that got screwed in the whole thing and it took an unbelievable series of events for it to happen.

1--Dana takes the Arkansas job, goes through a press conference that includes a ridiculous hat and calling the hogs, and decides 3 days later he doesn't want the job after all and goes back to Creighton.

2--Oregon fires Ernie Kent and throws the world at Tubby Smith, but for some reason he decides to stay at Minnesota. (Enjoy Lubbock Tubby). Oregon gets told no, over and over, and Dana is literally their 11th choice for the job. The only reason he takes it is because his daughter recently relocated to the Seattle area.

3--Creighton's AD, who is a UNI alum, seeing his job in jeopardy and CU basketball in a death spiral, knows that if he hires Greg that not only does he get Doug, he also gets Grant Gibbs to transfer in as well.

4--Creighton pays Iowa State $850k to take Mac. Pollard runs to Minneapolis with a contract in hand to bring the Mayor home.

5--Mac does an interview from his driveway telling everyone that its always been his dream to coach his son and that he can't wait to take Doug to Creighton with him, before he calls Jake and asks him to put his 'Friend Hat' on so that Doug doesn't have to abide by Valley transfer rules.

6--Doug is gone from UNI and two days later Wisconsin recruit Diamond Taylor gets arrested. Bo Ryan pulls his offer to Taylor and offers Josh Gasser, who was set to commit to UNI the next day.

This is the story of why UNI hasn't been able to cash in on the Sweet 16 and become a beast of a program. We went from a core of McDermott, Gasser, and Tuttle and more Valley titles and NCAA appearances to nothing. In 48 hours. Not to even mention the financial impact lost NCAA shares and publicity have had.

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
Poor Panthers. They could be in the new Big East right now, fighting for a #2 seed in the NCAA tournament. Which would make them so much money and become so much bigger, that they would be able to become Division 1 in football, which would create a giant bidding war between the Big 12 and Big 10, as to who gets the new giant Blue Blood program.

:jimlad:

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006

Nobility is an opinion. I think it was certainly noble but my opinion is that it isn't "pretty" noble. I call it "kinda" noble. :)

He's paying the tuition of the best player in college basketball to play on HIS team. Or, at worst, he's paying for his starting PG to play for him.

Last edited:

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
I just found out Doug wasn't even on scholarship this year. He gave his up so a guy could come back for a 6th year. That is a teammate right there.
That is why I called him several times the best walkon in America. Grant Gibbs has the scholly.

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
I'll hold off on praising a coach for literally buying an extra roster spot. It's not about being a good guy, it's about securing his future as Creighton's coach. There was a lot on the line for him and that program before the season started. If they couldn't make a nice run in their new conference with the best Creighton team ever they would have taken a huge hit in recruiting and McD's seat would get a little uncomfortable.

I don't have any grudge with either McDermott and it's not against the rules so I have no real problem with it. But let's be realistic, any nobility is a convienent side effect of looking after himself and his son.

Cloner97

Apr 11, 2006
Unbelievable that 2 studs from Ames high went elsewhere and we got stuck with Bubu. Totes ridicurous

Reactions: Angie

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I'm willing to bet mcd has performance incentives he will hit that will exceed that 60k as a result of having the best player in school history as well as a 6th year guy. Nothing noble about it but it's certainly smart and if we are ever in the same situation with a coaches kid I hope Iowa State does the same.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron