NBA: Royce White worst first round pick ever?

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
I am sure the Energy will cut him when he makes no attempt to travel and badmouth the entire organization.

xboxfever

Nov 4, 2008
Sam Bowie, when healthy, was a very productive NBA player. If Jordan wasn't taken after him, people would never even mention his name as a huge bust. You also got to look at why Portland didn't take Jordan. They already had Clyde ''the Glyde'' Drexler as a building block who played the same position as Jordan. It would have made no sense for them to draft him. No one knew Jordan would end up being the greatest of all time. No one also could have fathomed that Bowie's shin would snap in half in his second season. Bowie showed signs of being a big time player in his rookie season, that payed off by him being a first team all rookie selection. Kwame Brown is easily the worst pick in NBA draft history.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Greg Oden is easily the worst first round pick ever when looking at his giant red flags and the player taken #2. He looked like he was 40, hobbled around on broken knees like he was 60, couldn't stay healthy for a thirty game college season, and couldn't play above average offense in college. Taking him #1 meant saying no to Kevin Durant. My thoughts were the same on draft day as they are now, I've always been shocked he was even a top five pick, definitely shocked he was taken over Durant.

Sam Bowie who many would bring up was a phenomenal NBA player compared to Oden. Darko has been much better than Oden and Carmelo and even Wade aren't Durant.

Sam Bowie had a decent enough NBA career, but the simple fact of the matter is the Blazers could have drafted Michael Jordan instead. That alone makes him one of the worst first round picks in NBA history. If he were drafted behind Jordan in the first round, nobody would care.

Hell, the only reason why we're not having this conversation about Hakeem Olajuwon is because of the career he had and how well it worked out for the Rockets, but at the end of the day even he was a dumb pick when they could have had MJ as well.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Darko was fairly productive for 5-6 years, and at the least, was a large body in the lane which is pretty valuable in the NBA. Adam Morrison was worse.

Did Adam Morrison hobble around on bad knees in college and was Kevin Durant drafted after him?

I just can't see anyone that compares to Oden in terms of a guy who was obviously going to be an injury bust and the player after him. Darko is close. Sam Bowie was actually a pretty productive player, but MJ is MJ.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Sam Bowie had a decent enough NBA career, but the simple fact of the matter is the Blazers could have drafted Michael Jordan instead. That alone makes him one of the worst first round picks in NBA history. If he were drafted behind Jordan in the first round, nobody would care.

Hell, the only reason why we're not having this conversation about Hakeem Olajuwon is because of the career he had and how well it worked out for the Rockets, but at the end of the day even he was a dumb pick when they could have had MJ as well.

My like button wasn't working but I pretty much agree. I can be swayed that this is the worst pick and agree on the Hakeem part. The thing about Oden is the signs were sooooooooooooooooo obvious and Durant was the biggest lock since LeBron and even since after he came out.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
My like button wasn't working but I pretty much agree. I can be swayed that this is the worst pick and agree on the Hakeem part. The thing about Oden is the signs were sooooooooooooooooo obvious and Durant was the biggest lock since LeBron and even since after he came out.

To be clear, I don't disagree with your position on Oden. Even if the signs weren't so clear cut, the end result alone puts him in this conversation.

BallSoHard4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 20, 2012
Ames
Love Morey but Royce is not the worst pick ever. Not until they see how picks 17-30 did. (Rockets picked Terrence jones at 18 who is having a great sophomore year)

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Love Morey but Royce is not the worst pick ever. Not until they see how picks 17-30 did. (Rockets picked Terrence jones at 18 who is having a great sophomore year)

Plus you can't really blame teams for missing on any pick outside the top 10. Look at any draft and outside the top 10 or 15 it's just as likely to get an all star at any spot on the board. If Royce had been near a top 5 pick, not even hitting the floor definitely would put him in the discussion.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
To be clear, I don't disagree with your position on Oden. Even if the signs weren't so clear cut, the end result alone puts him in this conversation.

I'm not even a Portland fan...but I could just see it happening as if it were in slow motion....nooooooooo you're gonna have another historic draft bust!

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron