Middle of 8 game stretch....

cped

Feb 3, 2012
Fellas we are in the middle of a 8 game stretch where we have Baylor (already happened), Kansas twice, Oklahoma twice, Kansas State, Texas, and Oklahoma State.

Predict their record during that game stretch. Worst case scenario would be 1-7 or 14-7 overall, however you want to look at it, while best case scenario would be 8-0 or 21-0.

1-7 over that stretch would put us on the outside of the bubble, while 8-0 would indeed set us up for the number 1 overall seed in the whole freaking tournament.

Crazy how important this stretch of games will be.

I see us going 6-2 over that stretch losing at Oklahoma State and at Kansas.. 20-2 overall and looking at a number 2-3 seed in the NCAA. Obviously a lot of season left after that but the bulk of our tough games will be over.

Thoughts???

Cyclonin

Feb 18, 2012
Dallas, TX
Fellas we are in the middle of a 8 game stretch where we have Baylor (already happened), Kansas twice, Oklahoma twice, Kansas State, Texas, and Oklahoma State.

Predict their record during that game stretch. Worst case scenario would be 1-7 or 14-7 overall, however you want to look at it, while best case scenario would be 8-0 or 21-0.

1-7 over that stretch would put us on the outside of the bubble, while 8-0 would indeed set us up for the number 1 overall seed in the whole freaking tournament.

I see us going 6-2 over that stretch losing at Oklahoma State and at Kansas.. 20-2 overall and looking at a number 2-3 seed in the NCAA. Obviously a lot of season left after that but the bulk of our tough games will be over.

Thoughts???

I would say 6-2 or 5-3 is most likely.

I think we take care of business at home. (BU, KU, OU, KSU) and win 1 or 2 of @OU, @UT. Think we drop the 2 for sure @KU, @OSU.

20-2, 19-3 either or would be good for me. That leads into a very winnable 6 game stretch which could put us at 26-2, 25-3 and then close out with a tough 3 game slate to end the season.

I think the Big 12 Champ, with how deep the league is, will have at the very least 4 losses.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Yep.

That 8 game stretch has 5 games against ranked teams and the other 3 (OU and Texas) against teams getting votes.

Frankly 6-2 would be awesome, 4-4 would still leave us in a very good position (Top 4 seed).

After that 8 game stretch, then we have 6 very winnable games in a row, the toughest being @WVU.

Finally we finish with @KState, @Baylor and OSU at home. A really really tough finish.

tejasclone

Oct 20, 2006
Chicago, IL
I know they're our least likely wins, but I want to win @OSU and @KU so bad.... @OSU because of our long, long drought in Stillwater (which has almost been broken each of the last 3 years) and @KU because F KU. If I had to pick only one of those games to win, it would be whichever gets us closer to the Big 12 title.

I hope we can find a way to win at least one of the next 4 road games (while also holding serve at home). 5-3 sounds a lot better than 4-4.

megamanxzero35

May 31, 2011
Our schedule ended up very front loaded. At least the middle should be easier before we finish with 3 more tough games.

2forISU

Oct 8, 2008
Big12 this year was suppose to down but it is going to be a grind every night. I'm thinking 6-7 teams get in to the tourney(West Virginia or Texas might be the 7th).

cyowan

Feb 7, 2013
Ames, IA
I'm hoping for at least 5-3. After that we have a 7 game stretch that includes two games vs. TCU, two games vs. WVU, Texas and Tech at home and at KSU. If we can get through this next stretch with only 2 or 3 losses (or better yet, none), we should be sitting pretty for the rest of the season.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
I can see anywhere from 6-2 to 4-4.

We've been playing a lot better in conference play though, all those close games and big come from behind wins really helped the team out. So I'll go 6-2.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
6-2 during this stretch would be acceptable with as tough as the big 12 and as much respect as it is getting. When you at the big picture, we don't have to do a ton of work to get in the tourney so as long as we don't lose to TT/TCU (the only 'bad losses' in the big 12 right now) no loss will really hurt our national respect at this point. There is no game left on our schedule that will surprise people that we win.

Besides, even we come out of this stretch with a little less momentum, the Feb part of the big 12 schedule looks like a great chance to pick things up right before tourney time.

kyle22kjs

Nov 2, 2012
If we play to our potential... I don't see why we can't win all of those games. The team is that good, but, we will let one slip at some point... 5-3 worst case (I believe), but I'm saying we go 7-1 with a loss to KU at Phog Allen.

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
8-0. No I'm not drinking kool-aid. This team is the best team in the league. Okie st. has zero depth, zero. Losing the big guy crushed them. KU is very talented no doubt but just doesn't have the outside shooting to compete. Baylor has the worst coach in the league. Until we lose I'm going to say we will not lose another Big 12 game. Unrealistic? Probably but until this team proves me wrong I will go with an undefeated conf. slate.

singsing

Nov 2, 2007
We shouldn't lose any, but road wins are tough in this league. Throw in what the officials may surprise us with who knows. Baylor is big and slow with poor coaching. Ok State has no depth and Cobbins was a huge loss. Both Texas and KU are young and KU is way overrated. OU is good and have a great coach, but player for player we have better talent. At K State is where I see us dropping one maybe. We seem to be getting better every game so I'm not predicting anything and will keep enjoying the ride...win or lose these guys are fun to watch..they've got one of my eight year old triplets who's been a huge Texas fan thinking of switching favorites. Thank you Fred...all the Texas talk is getting old.

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008

Thoughts???

With they way ISU has been playing I have been watching more basketball then ever. I am watching all of the other Big XII schools as often as possible and other highly ranked teams when I have the time.

Okie State has looked very beatable after the loss of Cobbins for the season. Kansas has looked average at best because unless a team is playing no defense at all they struggle to score. Texas... they look young and mistake prone. K-State looks solid but they don't put up a bunch of points and outside of Gipson they don't have a strong interior game. Oklahoma can score but they play absolutely no defense at all.

Call me crazy but I see ISU sweeping Kansas and Oklahoma. Texas is young and they tend to play way out of control which leads to a ton of costly turnovers which doesn't bode well for them against ISU. I see ISU beating them decisively.

Now it comes down to Okie State and K-State. To be honest... Okie State can be wildly inconsistent. Last night for example they played absolutely sloppy against Texas but were bailed out by the Longhorns turning the ball over and putting the Cowboys at the FT line 51 times. Marcus Smart shot 20 times at the charity stripe last night. That is insane. ISU doesn't tend to foul a lot and they don't turn the ball over a lot either. Without Cobbins in the middle I think ISU's bigs can have their way inside against them. The X factor is the hobbit... Forte. Box & 1 that little ***** and Okie State is not a big threat from deep. ISU can absolutely beat them.

K-State... they are actually pretty simple. Limit Marcus Foster and they will have a difficult time generating offense. Their entire offense runs through him so it goes as he goes. That can make them much easier to stop then in the past. ISU can and should beat them.

Kool-Aid drinking be damned... I think this ISU team can pull the 8-0 sweep in this stretch and go 7-1 at worst. It's all about matchups and strengths and if you watch some of these other Big XII teams play you start to put the picture together that ISU is going to be an absolute matchup nightmare for all of them. Hoiberg can and will attack their weaknesses and typically where these teams are weak ISU is strong. I really like ISU's chances here.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Starting 5-4 in first half against this schedule is reasonable most years, but this team is capable of more.

(Baylor W)
at OU L
KU W
at UT W
KSU W
at KU W
OU W
at OSU L

7-2

Exchange the L at OU w/ at UT or at KU if you prefer. I won't predict a win in Stillwater until the skid ends.