LeBron and Jordan

LeBron or Jorda

• Total voters

Jordanj6502

Jan 9, 2010
Ames
Jordan is no small player. He was 6'6" 215 during his prime (LeBron is listed at 6'8 250). Similar size to some of what people consider LeBron's best defenders today. (Iggy, Kahwi Leonard, Jimmy Butler) and Jordan was a better on ball defender than any of them. Jordan had better ball control than LeBron does, and was a better mid range shooter. Jordan also had a quicker first step, and a craftiness in getting to the basket that forwards usually lack.

Also remember Kobe at the all star game last year? How he played defense on LeBron for the final few minutes. That is as close as you will see to Jordan vs LeBron.

wamfam

Dec 13, 2013
So this question came up in the Firehouse already this morning because brought about heated discussion from both sides. So I thought I would pose the question to CF. In their primes, 1 on 1, LeBron vs Jordan. Who wins and why?

I would say Jordan. He has such a natural shooting motion and can hit clutch shots. He also has the ability to get to the hoop with ease. Not to say that LeBron doesn't possess these skills, but I think the old style of play would win out. LeBron tries to much fancy crap when he gets the ball whereas Jordan would just drop a three in your face or take it to the hoop tongue hanging out and all.

Its not even close.......King LeBron! He does it ALL so well!!!! Jordan could score & play defense. You rarely if ever saw Jordan have a triple double. Why? Cuz all he did was score. LeBron does it ALL. He scores. He rebounds. He dishes out assists. He plays defense. He shoots the 3.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
I would love to see the age range on who voted. I bet all the Jordan votes are 40 years and older, the Lebron votes are under 30 with a mixture from 31-39

Jordanj6502

Jan 9, 2010
Ames
Its not even close.......King LeBron! He does it ALL so well!!!! Jordan could score & play defense. You rarely if ever saw Jordan have a triple double. Why? Cuz all he did was score. LeBron does it ALL. He scores. He rebounds. He dishes out assists. He plays defense. He shoots the 3.

In 1 on 1 all that matters is scoring and playing defense.

SerenityNow

Dec 4, 2009
Central Iowa
Jordan. Granted I watched the NBA a lot more in Jordan's prime than I do now, but my opinion is I would take Michael over LeBron, but LeBron is as close as it gets to being his equal.

bringmagicback

Dec 3, 2009
CF Resident Dog Lover

Well, lets see,Lebron barely averages 1 more assist and 1 more rebound per game while playing more minutes. So ummm.... your stupid post is stupid.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
Well, lets see,Lebron barely averages 1 more assist and 1 more rebound per game while playing more minutes. So ummm.... your stupid post is stupid.

The whole debate is stupid. Very different players, teams, and eras. The only people who seem to want to bring it up are A)Talking heads trying to generate controversy or B) NBA "fans" that grew up in the 90's and get threatened any time somebody suggests that a player could possibly be as talented as MJ. The only thing these debates ever prove is that Nike had a ******* amazing marketing department in the 80's and 90's.

bringmagicback

Dec 3, 2009
CF Resident Dog Lover
The whole debate is stupid. Very different players, teams, and eras. The only people who seem to want to bring it up are A)Talking heads trying to generate controversy or B) NBA "fans" that grew up in the 90's and get threatened any time somebody suggests that a player could possibly be as talented as MJ. The only thing these debates ever prove is that Nike had a ******* amazing marketing department in the 80's and 90's.

Agree, if Bird and Magic were given MJ deal, this conversation would be about Bird and Magic not MJ. And I really beleive that.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
Agree, if Bird and Magic were given MJ deal, this conversation would be about Bird and Magic not MJ. And I really beleive that.

And I don't even have a problem with MJ being the near consensus pick for greatest of all time. I just think this notion of him being untouchably great is more a product of Nike and Gatorade than his actual performance. If MJ and LeBron/Magic/Bird in their primes played 10 times they probably both take 5.

Jordanj6502

Jan 9, 2010
Ames

I would agree about Magic. And while Bird is easily one of the greatest of all time, he was never a flashy player. Great shooter, defender, possibly the most clutch player ever, but never explosive or freaky athletic like MJ, or flashy like Magic. So I don't see him quite having the same effect as Jordan did.

yler4cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 23, 2009
Ankeny, IA
No one will ever do what MJ did for the NBA and potentially basketball in general. That is the only reason I would pick him. Lebron could have, but he is in an era where there are just so many highly skilled athletes that he doesn't do as much for the sport. Just my .02.

MaxPower57

Mar 30, 2006
Jordan

LeBron needs guys around him while Jordan can carry a team. Remember when Jordan led a rag tag team filled with talking animated characters and Bill Murray, and beat one of the greatest teams ever assembled in the Monstars, thereby saving the world??

Jordanj6502

Jan 9, 2010
Ames
Mj was way better than magic and bird.

With the NBA rules of the 90's, LeBron would be the most dominating perimeter defender ever.

These are some of the rule changes that affected defensive play, and changed hand checking rules.

1994-95
• Hand-checking eliminated from the end line in the backcourt to the opposite foul line.
(also shortened the 3 point line to 22' from 23'9")
1997-98
• A defender will not be permitted to use his forearm to impede the progress of an offensive player who is facing the basket in the frontcourt.
1999-00
• In the backcourt, there is no contact with hands and forearms by defenders. In the frontcourt, there is no contact with hands and forearms by defenders except below the free throw line extended in which case the defender may only use his forearm. In the post, neither the offensive player nor the defender is allowed to dislodge or displace a player who has legally obtained a position. Defender may not use his forearm, shoulder, hip or hand to reroute or hold-up an offensive player going from point A to point B or one who is attempting to come around a legal screen set by another offensive player. Slowing or impeding the progress of the screener by grabbing, clutching, holding “chucking†or “wrapping up†is prohibited.
2000-01
• No contact with either hands or forearms by defenders except in the frontcourt below the free throw line extended in which case the defender may use his forearm only.
• Neither the offensive player nor the defender will be allowed to dislodge or displace a player who has legally obtained a position.
• Defender may not use his forearm, shoulder, hip or hand to reroute or hold-up an offensive player going from point A to Point B or one who is attempting to come around a legal screen set by another offensive player.
• Slowing or impeding the progress of the screener by grabbing, clutching, holding “chucking†or “wrapping up†is prohibited.
• A five-second count will begin if an offensive player with the ball and not facing-up starts dribbling below the free throw line extended while being closely guarded or starts dribbling outside and then penetrates below the free throw line extended while being closely guarded. (The five-second count commences when the offensive player penetrates the free throw line extended). After five seconds, a violation will have occurred and the offensive team will lose possession.
2001-02
• Illegal defense guidelines will be eliminated in their entirety.
• A new defensive three-second rule will prohibit a defensive player from remaining in the lane for more than three consecutive seconds without closely guarding an offensive player.
(3 second call replaced Illegal defense, which had multiple changes through out the 90s and early 2000s)

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron