Best Albums of 2013

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
My wife is like you - loves The National, doesn't like Arcade Fire.

I'm the opposite, love Arcade Fire, can't make it through a The National album without falling asleep.

Funny how some bands are like that - some you "get" and some you don't, even if you try because of the acclaim of others. I get the Flaming Lips. I get Radiohead. I don't get Bjork.

Yeah, there's really no rational explanation for it. One of those weird mysteries of human existence.

Pitt_Clone

Nov 15, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
Indie music gets no respect, I know, but I "discovered" this year "The Pines", two native Iowans, and I have to say, I do like their music. Their 2013 CD/album/record is "Dark So Gold", and while it's not "heart and bones" (2010), I do like "All the While". It's just so refreshing, modern music by young men that's not all about their junk, bustin' a cap in somebody's *ss, or bitchiz-n-hoze. :ptongue:

[video=youtube_share;MisAYtblqik]http://youtu.be/MisAYtblqik[/video]
That was nice. Hadn't heard of them before.

Tarbox

Jan 3, 2008
Boulder, CO
www.kccq.com
In no certain order with the exception of The Uncluded (probably being my most listened to album of 2013)

The Uncluded - Hokey Fright
Major Lazer - Free The Universe
Wavves - Afraid of Heights
Arctic Monkeys - AM
Arcade Fire - Reflektor
Danny Brown - Old
Killer Mike and El-P - Run The Jewels
Atoms for Peace - AMOK
Daft Punk - R.A.M.
Heiroglyphics - The Kitchen

AllBig12Drinker

Dec 7, 2009
West Des Moines
Volbeat-Outlaw Gentlemen and Shady Ladies(by far my favorite of the year)
A7X-Hail to the King(not as good as Nightmare, imo)
Korn-Paradigm Shift
Eminem-MMLP2(minus a couple songs)

Listen to this man (on the bolded). Even if you don't think it's your genre, listen to the first two songs, then listen to "Lonesome Rider". I got this back in the spring and am still listening.

[video=youtube;LoD0iWlep4w]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoD0iWlep4w[/video]

dirtyninety

Oct 6, 2012
In my opinion, people listen to really bad stuff. "Bad" in the traditional since of being really awful. Do people still listen to Rap/Hip Hop? Lord, is it still 2002?

AllIowaTeams

Jun 10, 2010
Grimes
Kanye West-Yeezus

Didn't really like anything else.

Liked Kanye's albums prior to this, but hated Yeezus. I'm big on lyrics, and this album was awful in that aspect, IMO. On the other fan I really like the Marshall Mathers LP 2, and even more so Kendrick Lamar's M.A.A.D. City.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
I think the Artic Monkeys are awful. Went to a Black Keys concert and the Arctic Monkeys opened for them. I'd heard of them, but never heard them so I was excited to give it a try. It was so awful we literally went out to the corridor and stood there until it was over. I thought maybe it was the sound system and was worried the Black Keys would sound awful too, but they came on and tore the place up. Have since heard the Arctic Monkeys on Alt Nation and still find them just awful.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
In no certain order with the exception of The Uncluded (probably being my most listened to album of 2013)

The Uncluded - Hokey Fright
Major Lazer - Free The Universe
Arctic Monkeys - AM
Arcade Fire - Reflektor
Danny Brown - Old
Killer Mike and El-P - Run The Jewels
Atoms for Peace - AMOK
Daft Punk - R.A.M.
Heiroglyphics - The Kitchen

That new Arctic Monkeys album is on my radar as well. I should give that one a spin today. I was put off by "Favourite Worst Nightmare", admittedly expecting "Whatever People Say I Am..."2.0, which is completely unfair on my part.

I've heard a few cuts off "AM" on The Current out of Minneapolis and liked it.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I think the Artic Monkeys are awful. Went to a Black Keys concert and the Arctic Monkeys opened for them. I'd heard of them, but never heard them so I was excited to give it a try. It was so awful we literally went out to the corridor and stood there until it was over. I thought maybe it was the sound system and was worried the Black Keys would sound awful too, but they came on and tore the place up. Have since heard the Arctic Monkeys on Alt Nation and still find them just awful.

If you like the Black Keys, try out their first album "Whatever You Say I Am, That's What I Am Not".

[video=youtube;pK7egZaT3hs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pK7egZaT3hs[/video]

sk22

Nov 29, 2007
Des Moines
The Wonder Years - The Greatest Generation
Red City Radio - Titles
Broadway Calls - Comfort/Distraction
Elway - Leavetaking
The Swellers - The Light Under Closed Doors
Captain, We're Sinking - The Future is Canceled
Jimmy Eat World - Damage
Mansions - Doom Loop
Valley Lodge - Use Your Weapons
The Front Bottoms - Talon of the Hawk

Tarbox

Jan 3, 2008
Boulder, CO
www.kccq.com
In my opinion, people listen to really bad stuff. "Bad" in the traditional since of being really awful. Do people still listen to Rap/Hip Hop? Lord, is it still 2002?

In MY opinion this was a great year for hip hop...Banner year actually - most of my "best of" list comes from that world. And there is still plenty more that I left off that should at least get honorable mention.

Releases from Deltron 3030, Action Bronson, Eminem, Jay-Z, Kanye, J Cole, Freddie Gibbs, A$AP's Rocky & Ferg, Brother Ali (who is doing back to back nights here in Boulder for NYE!!! - I have to convince the wife that this is a good idea) and others are all totally solid

pourcyne

Feb 19, 2011
Bubblegum - Kevin Devine and the goddamn band

For a minute there, I thought Reverend Peyton and his Big Damn Band had (finally) done a new album this year.

Let us pray.

[video=youtube_share;9Ra0DsbiNs0]http://youtu.be/9Ra0DsbiNs0[/video]

jburke

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
My favs in no particular order
Deerhunter - Monomania
Larry and his flask - By te lamplight
Heartsounds - Internal Eyes
Dropkick Murphy's - Signed and Seeled in Blood
The National - Trouble will find me
Off With Their Heads - Home
Radkey - Cat and Mouse/Devil's Fruit EP's
Red City Radio - Titles
Reggie and the Full Effect - No Country for Old Musicians
Swingin Utters - Poorly Formed
Streetlight Manifesto - The Hand That Thieves
Sundowner - Neon Fiction
Vampire Weekend - Modern Vampires of the City
A Wilhelm Scream - Partycrasher

mfelske

Mar 20, 2006
Wisconsin
I forgot one in my original list. Tricky - False Idols. I listened to this a ton earlier in the year.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
In MY opinion this was a great year for hip hop...Banner year actually - most of my "best of" list comes from that world. And there is still plenty more that I left off that should at least get honorable mention.

Releases from Deltron 3030, Action Bronson, Eminem, Jay-Z, Kanye, J Cole, Freddie Gibbs, A$AP's Rocky & Ferg, Brother Ali (who is doing back to back nights here in Boulder for NYE!!! - I have to convince the wife that this is a good idea) and others are all totally solid

I've liked about every CD Jay-Z has put out but I thought this one was junk. Of course it's up for a Grammy so that shows you what I know.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
My personal ones (I don't give a **** about release dates)

Channel Orange - Frank Ocean (2012)
Camp - Childish Gambino (2011)
Blue Slide Park - Mac Miller (2011)
Long Live A$AP - A$AP Rocky (2013)
Yeezus - Kanye West (2013)
The Gifted - Wale (2013)
Based on a T.R.U. Story - 2 Chainz (2012)
B.O.A.T.S II: Me Time - 2 Chainz (2013)
The Heist - Macklemore (2012)
I Am Not a Human Being II - Lil Wayne (2013)

Excited about Because The Internet from Childish Gambino coming out next week.

My non rap favorites are probably the new Vampire Weekend one, True - Avicci, and ARTPOP - Lady Gaga. Along with some stuff from others.

The first five, I couldn't agree more (although the new Mac Miller CD is terrible). The last five, I couldn't agree less.

Help Support Us

Become a patron