CF HOOPS CEDAR RAPIDS

liljones13

Mar 27, 2006
Springville, IA
I am fairly new to the Marion/Cedar Rapids area and I would like to get some CF hoops started up in the area like we already have in Ames.. Would anyone be interested and/or know anyone that would be able to put the logistics of it together? Sat/Sun mornings maybe? When I lived in Cedar Falls I would go up to our local church every Sat/Sun to hoop it up, but ever since I have moved down here I cant find any pickup games..

to2extreme

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 9, 2008
I live in Marion also. There are pickup games and leagues at the YMCA and Rockwell Rec, but you need memberships for pickup. There are also pickup games at Xavier HS Sunday nights, but think that is kind of a "bring a Catholic friend" thing and isn't open to everybody. I think a lot of the churches that have gyms have pickup games, I have been to a few when invited by friends, but the games aren't the greatest usually(but it is a game) so you could try contacting some churches. I also believe Marion HS either Saturday or Sunday mornings has pickup games, but not sure who you would contact to get in on that. (Could try calling the HS to see). A lot of people also drive down to North Liberty or go to IC. Games are pretty good there, but is a long drive. Hope this helps!

snowcraig2.0

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA
I'm sure we could play a higher level of basketball than we have seen out of previous versions of CF basketball. Of course, I've seen junior high girls basketball played at a higher level than what we've seen from previous versions of CF basketball.

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
I wish I had time. But I'm going to hijack this thread and say if any of you have ever considered giving officiating a try, please PM me. Probably too late to get you started for school-sanctioned play for this year but we can start a dialogue. Great way to stay involved and make friends. And like anything else, I'd like a few more Cyclone fans involved!

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
I'd be in if you need another body. Baseball/softball is more my expertise.

cyhawkdmb

Jul 13, 2010
CB
I wish I had time. But I'm going to hijack this thread and say if any of you have ever considered giving officiating a try, please PM me. Probably too late to get you started for school-sanctioned play for this year but we can start a dialogue. Great way to stay involved and make friends. And like anything else, I'd like a few more Cyclone fans involved!

I just started refing last year. still gettting the hang of things. basically my mechanics. It is pretty fun.

liljones13

Mar 27, 2006
Springville, IA
Hey, thanks for the feedback everyone. I would love to pull this together. Anyone have any connections that could get us into a gym for a couple hours a weekend? Also, if anyone would be up for it while the weather is respectable I live right behind a Marion City park and we could hoop it up outside until we pull some strings to get a gym together. Let me know what you think.

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
Hey, thanks for the feedback everyone. I would love to pull this together. Anyone have any connections that could get us into a gym for a couple hours a weekend? Also, if anyone would be up for it while the weather is respectable I live right behind a Marion City park and we could hoop it up outside until we pull some strings to get a gym together. Let me know what you think.
I can't promise but I have a contact at Sports Zone. I'll get back with you.

PS: All y'all PM me and tell me who you are and where you live. Wouldn't it be funny if we already knew each other and didn't know it?

Last edited:

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
I talked to my friend at Sports Zone in Hiawatha. It is a rental facility and they would charge $50/hr so if we had 10 guys it would be $5/each every week. It's a nice full-length college court though. Problem might be scheduling. It would either have to be a Wednesday night, when they have no leagues, or very early or very late Sat/Sun to schedule around their weekend youth tournaments.

He also floated the idea of starting an adult league but I thought you guys want this to just be Cyclones.

liljones13

Mar 27, 2006
Springville, IA
It sounds like a great place, but scheduling wise it would be very difficult especially if they are tight on their schedule and need us done by a certain time. More or less looking for a place where we can come and go as we please. Thanks for checking though!

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
It sounds like a great place, but scheduling wise it would be very difficult especially if they are tight on their schedule and need us done by a certain time. More or less looking for a place where we can come and go as we please. Thanks for checking though!
We should all chip in some $$$, put up a steel building with a court in it and a bar and giant ******* TV for CYCLONES ONLY.

Reactions: JBone84

Help Support Us

Become a patron