Iowa St. lost by Texas 44 to 41

2ndCyCE

Dec 21, 2011
Tulsa
Freshman year - I was hammered, but I still remember ISU letting Applewhite and the Longhorns march down the field for the chipshot winning FG. :sad:

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
mpGMzWM.jpg

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
JJ Moses fumble in that game was killer.

If I remember right Reggie Hayward tipped the game winning FG, but it still went in.

The_Architect

Apr 11, 2006
That was my freshman year. Still remember that game, Texas drove down the field so easily that last drive to win it. The 1999 team was pretty good and so close in several games. I remember losing a really close game to Colorado that year too and IIRC that was the same year we blew a huge lead to KSU at halftime.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
That was my freshman year. Still remember that game, Texas drove down the field so easily that last drive to win it. The 1999 team was pretty good and so close in several games. I remember losing a really close game to Colorado that year too and IIRC that was the same year we blew a huge lead to KSU at halftime.

Still have nightmares of the Texas game and being up 28-0 over KSU at half and then watching them outscore us 35-0 in the second half IIRC...

clonetil01

Nov 23, 2009
Oh yes, this is the game where we used TWO timeouts on freaking PATS!!!!! Came back to haunt us big time as they couldn't stop us that game either. As much good as Danny Mac did for our program, that was another example of the usual type of errors that cost us BIG games. It was at least a fun game to watch, even if I torched a few cars on the angry walk home(allegedly of course).

tejasclone

Oct 20, 2006
Chicago, IL
Still have nightmares of the Texas game and being up 28-0 over KSU at half and then watching them outscore us 35-0 in the second half IIRC...

K-State was ranked in the Top 5 too, I believe. Man, that one sucked.

28-7 at halftime and K-State ranked #15.

Cyclones Nearly Upset No. 15 Kansas State - Iowa State University Athletics Official Web Site - www.CYCLONES.com - The home of Iowa State Cyclone Sports

That 1999 team went 4-7 but lost several close games:

K-State (by 7)
Texas (by 3)
Colorado (by 4)
Kansas (by 3)

d4nim4l

Apr 23, 2008
West Des Moines, IA
Watched the 2000 Insight Bowl the other night and the classic Skladany prevent defense was in full effect at the end of the second quarter that allowed Pittsburgh to get back into the game. They missed the field goal but ate up yards quickly enough to gain a jolt going into the 3rd quarter.

My point here is the Skladany defense lost more close games for us than I can remember. It's one thing to give up the underneath routes late in the game to prevent a big strike, but it's something completely different to give up 10 yard underneath routes and allow the chains to move.

It's one thing I have been happy to see with Rhoads and Wally. Their late game play calling seems to be driven by what their opponent calls for crunch time plays and it appears more often than not the coverages will exploit those tendencies.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron