Farewell ISU

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Don't be a stranger on CF, Tom! hope you are still able to keep up with the Cyclones as well as Washington now!

ChrisMWilliams

Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com
This thread says a lot about Otzelberger's reputation within this fanbase in my opinion.

When I learned that T.J. was moving on, I was concerned as to how the fans would react considering it wasn't for a head coaching spot and it wasn't to be an assistant at say Kansas or North Carolina, Duke or wherever.

But Iowa State fans have once again proven why they are the best. The overwhelming majority of what I have seen has been support for a guy who has given his life to this program for the last seven seasons and done a damn good job while doing so.

I am happy for T.J. and am once away blown away by this amazing fan base for "getting it."

I don't think we've seen the end of Otzelberger. If T.J. has any success at all on the west coast (which I know he will), there is no reason at all why he shouldn't be the first call Jamie Pollard makes should Fred ever leave for the NBA.

Reactions: 1 person

scyclonekid

Feb 13, 2008
Thanks Tom we will miss your son a lot, but know this is what he needs to do as well, building that resume. TJ will be a D1 head coach sooner than later and wish him nothing but the best for the guy. TJ was a HUGE part in rebuilding this program and can't wait to see him as a head coach on the sidelines someday. Anyway, Washington is getting one hell of a good guy, coach, and great representative of the institution he works for, go get em Otz!!

Go Cyclones!!!

CyberJJJ

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2006
Johnston, IA
This thread says a lot about Otzelberger's reputation within this fanbase in my opinion.

When I learned that T.J. was moving on, I was concerned as to how the fans would react considering it wasn't for a head coaching spot and it wasn't to be an assistant at say Kansas or North Carolina, Duke or wherever.

But Iowa State fans have once again proven why they are the best. The overwhelming majority of what I have seen has been support for a guy who has given his life to this program for the last seven seasons and done a damn good job while doing so.

I am happy for T.J. and am once away blown away by this amazing fan base for "getting it."

I don't think we've seen the end of Otzelberger. If T.J. has any success at all on the west coast (which I know he will), there is no reason at all why he shouldn't be the first call Jamie Pollard makes should Fred ever leave for the NBA.

Chris, I agree with your entire post EXCEPT we never would have forgiven him if he left for Kansas!!!!

CyberJJJ

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2006
Johnston, IA
Washington should come to Hilton now...we need another major conference W on our schedule!

PsychedClone

Apr 11, 2006
Visit site

Chris,
I am not at all surprised by the outpouring of support. ISU fans are a class act. I meant it when I said that Clone fans are the greatest fans around. Being from Wisconsin, I've been to Badger games and Marquette games. Nothing I've seen compares to Hilton Magic. And with coaches like Hoiberg and Rhodes, you can be sure that the future is bright for ISU sports.

Reactions: jmb

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I really am glad he had some success here at Iowa State after all the hard work he put in. Really blessed to have him here for so long.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Glad to see you stop back in! Have missed our forum and PM interactions.

Best of luck to TJ - disappointed he's leaving but it's understandable. Don't be a stranger!

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
It has been a great seven seasons. Thanks for all the support you have given my son TJ. I will miss the trips to Ames and the wonderful friends I made there. At heart, I will always be a Cyclone fan. Thanks also to GMac, Fred, and Jamie for giving TJ the opportunity to pursue his dream. This has been a great ride. Cyclone fans are the greatest and most loyal fans in college sports.

All best to you and your teams in the future!

Tom Otzelberger

Best of luck to TJ, Alison, and you as well.

We know how lucky we were to have TJ for 7 or 8 years through 2 coaches and a lot of basketball. I especially appreciate him sticking with Iowa State through some tough times at the end of the McDermott era and for sticking around to help Fred get things started here. He was a big, big part of turning things around the program the last couple of years and he'll be missed. Hopefully, not too much though :)

ISU4ME

Aug 26, 2007
TJ's loyalty to Iowa State when McDermott left allowed Iowa State to stabilize the program. A true leader that I would definitely like my son to be lead by.

PsychedClone

Apr 11, 2006
Visit site
Glad to see you stop back in! Have missed our forum and PM interactions.

Best of luck to TJ - disappointed he's leaving but it's understandable. Don't be a stranger!

Yeah, it's been a long time since I posted anything or since we spoke. People got wise to my real identity so I had to stop posting. Sorry I never had the chance to meet you in person.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
Chris,
I am not at all surprised by the outpouring of support. ISU fans are a class act. I meant it when I said that Clone fans are the greatest fans around. Being from Wisconsin, I've been to Badger games and Marquette games. Nothing I've seen compares to Hilton Magic. And with coaches like Hoiberg and Rhodes, you can be sure that the future is bright for ISU sports.

It's not just Iowa nice -- I think we all really like TJ, and want the best for him. TJ staying through the McDermott/Hoiberg transition was huge for the program and he deserved every single cent he was paid by ISU and probably a lot more.

I also gained a ton of respect for TJ for how he handled the media after taking the position at Washington. He seemed to answer every question with such sincerity and honesty. Instead of saying family reasons were an issue, he articulated the reasons why his fiancee may like Washington better. Instead of not answering the question, he explained why going to Washington may be better for him and his career. I understand why recruits like him so much. He will be missed.