Sir Charles sets the CBS crew right on the missed block

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
I seriously doubt there is much out their for better officiating. I know it's a different sport, but during the NFL ref's lockout they picked up officials from below the college level and it did not go well.

Yes but there is not nearly the drop off from the Nfl to NCAA like there is from NBA to NCAA. That's what's bothersome. It's also not every official but some need to be sent out to pasture.

notoriouslfb

May 12, 2006
I think I have found the issue with officiating. The HOF said they ask them to get in the best position they can and do the best they can. That's good enough. If they aren't good officials they need to be gone. Officiating as a whole sucks at this level and it needs to get better starting with getting rid of the guys who want to put on a show instead of officiate basketball.

I completely agree. I have told other that the looked better than ever without Big 12 refs messing up the game. I agree that the game was called well but that call was terrible. It was not even close. You do not have to be set to get a charge but his body was inside the arc. The offensive player was already in the air or at best equal (go back to the arc) before the player got there. The complications are huge. Sorry about no paragraphs my computer enter key is not working /////////////////////////</P> With money and media becoming a bigger issue, so are the wins. What if Hoiberg wins this game and we make the final four and with it we higher rated recruits (Rashad as an example) and get more exposure over time including more television nationally or higher demand for cyclones network. I know this is a lot of 'if' but the officials should not be second rate because it is college basketball or football at least not for BCS teams and the tournament. The money is there so if they are not making the correct calls then that is the NCAA's problem. It should be fixed or lets get some of that money back without it.

mwitt

Mar 23, 2006
Excellent draw up my Matta knowing we would switch on the screen to get the mismatch they could exploit.

Interesting perspective since we made the switch because we wanted a 29% three point shooter to shoot a 3.

rob05

Apr 14, 2006
Ankeny
I'm not upset with the call. Credit the officials for actually making a call there instead of a no call then a dumb call like they did in the KU game. When you see that play live it's a split second decision on if the defender made the play or not, instant replay and HD technology sure makes it easy to question it once you slow it down and zoom in but we lost this game because of Babb's injury, our inability to play better defense which has been our weakness all season, and turning the ball over 16 times.

I think the no call when Bubu got mugged in the first half and they scored a bucket + 1 because of that was worse but bottom line if this team could just take care of the ball and defend better all these things are irrelevant.

Quit reading after your first sentence, you realize if they don't make a call at all...the layup counts and were up 3 right?

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
The call was wrong. Even outside the circle, Craft hadn't established legal guarding position until after Clyburn had left the floor. Automatically a block.

This call isn't a big deal if we take care of business on the other end and secure the rebound. Big time players make big time plays. We never make big time plays on the defensive end. That's where having Babb on the bench hurt. Excellent draw up my Matta knowing we would switch on the screen to get the mismatch they could exploit.

I cna't really argue it because it worked, but from an ISU perspective my first option would have been Craft shooting a three with a hand in his face on that play. I will take that and if that's how we lose, so be it.

cyclone87

Apr 6, 2011
Ames, IA
Interesting perspective since we made the switch because we wanted a 29% three point shooter to shoot a 3.

exactly Niang stayed off him because he didn't want him blowing by him and getting a basket or popping it out to a better shooter. Craft hadn't taken a three all game, even when he was wide open. Credit him fro making a huge shot though.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
The thing was Craft did have his foot on the circle, then went up on his toes......probably should have been a no call

I don't give a **** about the circle, he slid in on a guy in the air.

mwitt

Mar 23, 2006
ESPN Stats & Info (@ESPNStatsInfo)
Aaron Craft had missed his last four 3-pointers dating back to last week; was 4 of his last 20 before GW shot.

AltHawk

Sep 2, 2012
I don't give a **** about the circle, he slid in on a guy in the air.

Calls like that have happened in virtually every college basketball game this season. College coaches want more charges called. I hate the call, but it is what college basketball now has become.

xr4ticlone

Oct 1, 2006
Texas
replying only because i'm pretty sure it's the only time he and I have ever agreed on anything. Besides the idea that we both like to make lots of money.

This...my buddy and I think it's a sign of the apocalypse

xr4ticlone

Oct 1, 2006
Texas
For those of you who say 'we should have' and the officiating isn't a big deal...I argue that it's a huge deal...and an ongoing problem.

The reality is everyone loves a VCU / Butler final 4...or a KU / UK / UNC / UCLA type game...no one is excited about ISU vs Northwestern or Vanderbuilt vs Rutgers. The games are officiated as such IMHO. Just like the B12 does EVERYTHING in their power to make sure KU gets a high seed. Ok...maybe that's carried away...what I should say is the B12 does NOTHING to stop KU's preferential officiating. Same with UT and OU in FB.

83Clone

Apr 27, 2006
Ankeny, IA
Halftime of the next game and they are still talking about the block/charge. And no one has said yet that it was a charge, just the ref who made the call.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
Director of officials is Curtis Shaw. (the Cyclones arch nemesis) ...the one who screwed us in Auburn Hills in 2000.

He's only the B12 director of officials, and he should be demoted considering the B12 officials are so freaking terrible.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I keep seeing people post how this was one blown call and ISU had plenty of time to recover from it. What seems to be missed is that ISU did have two guys securing the rebound with 29 seconds to go and a tie game and Thomas poked the ball out of bounds from behind. How many times do you see this play, defender has position and getting the defensive rebound and the offensive player pokes at the ball from behind. Essentially both players touch the ball at the same time. 90% or more of the time the officials award the ball to the team that had position and not to the guy who punches it out of bounds from behind. Inexplicably they awarded it to OSU.

ISU was recovering from it and should have had the ball for the last shot rather than OSU. Exactly how many bad calls is a team required to recover from in the last 90 seconds before it is no longer just blamed on a team being mentally soft and unable to finish?