Favorite Iowa Craft Beer

GoCubsGo

Jul 22, 2008
As far as overall brewery, my favorites are Peace Tree in Knoxville and Angry Cedar in Waverly. Seems like there are several breweries that have recently opened that I haven't tried yet.

2020cy

Aug 7, 2006
Blond Fatale, Peace Tree, it will get you where you're going in a hurry too.

Gordyo5

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 3, 2007
Glenwood, Ia
Love the Keg Creek Brewing Company out of Glenwood, a little bias being as it is in the town I live in, but am yet to try one I don't like. Love the IPA and the German Malz.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Toppling Goliath is my pick. It's also the closest, so I'm probably a little biased, but if you love hoppy beers they make great ones. Peace Tree's Hop Sutra is excellent.

For something on the maltier side, I really like Backpocket's entire line up, and Olde Main's Scottish and stouts.

I haven't been there yet, but every Confluence beer I've had was a winner.

Iowa breweries I don't really care for: Raccoon River and Court Ave. I haven't had an Angry Cedar beer I really loved either.

sunnysideup

Aug 6, 2009
The Metro
Toppling Goliath is my pick. It's also the closest, so I'm probably a little biased, but if you love hoppy beers they make great ones. Peace Tree's Hop Sutra is excellent.

For something on the maltier side, I really like Backpocket's entire line up, and Olde Main's Scottish and stouts.

I haven't been there yet, but every Confluence beer I've had was a winner.

Iowa breweries I don't really care for: Raccoon River and Court Ave. I haven't had an Angry Cedar beer I really loved either.

I tend to agree on Raccoon River but not Court Ave. They have one of the best "browns" I've had. Smooth and malty. It's probably one of the best brewed beers in the metro (I haven't had a chance to try 515 or many Confluence beers however so my opinion may change after that)

ColoradoClone

Apr 6, 2006
Backpocket Dunkel has my vote. They just started bottling their beer. I haven't tried it bottled yet, but on tap it's great.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Backpocket Dunkel has my vote. They just started bottling their beer. I haven't tried it bottled yet, but on tap it's great.

They've done as good of a job transitioning from tap to bottle as I've seen. Had some Slingshot, Gold Coin (blonde lager) and Wooden Nickel (Peat lager) during the first round of March Madness. I'd go as far as to say that Gold Coin is better from the bottle.

I tend to agree on Raccoon River but not Court Ave. They have one of the best "browns" I've had. Smooth and malty. It's probably one of the best brewed beers in the metro (I haven't had a chance to try 515 or many Confluence beers however so my opinion may change after that)

A lot of folks like the Court Ave brown, but it hasn't really clicked with me. I don't think their beer is bad, I just haven't ever had one stand out to me.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
The new 515 place has some god brews that I tried out last night. I liked their Stout of the closet (nitro) brew but didn't like the IPA they had as well. Also visited Confluence yesterday and liked their Thomas Beck black IPA.