Sherri Coale not happy

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Yeah surprised how much she complains in the video....though I give her credit. OU was going to get rid of their program in the 90s and they just grabbed her from Norman Highschool.....and she turned OU into a national WB name.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Well, no surprise that officiating might be maddening. We've all been there. But... it's a little much to be non-responsive to questions other than imply that her players couldn't do anything because of the refs.

Yeah, she should of done this...

[video=youtube;Jvo5XO1kH1c]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jvo5XO1kH1c[/video]

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
Early in the game it was State getting called for fouls while OU was beating us up. We adjusted, OU kept beating on us and the officials adjusted. As mentioned, OU had numerous intentional fouls. ISU also played great defense most of the night while moving their feet and gaining good position. These girls have very good defensive fundamentals.

Its not as if we didn't get bad calls. The 4th on Prins was borderline crazy.

cydney

Mar 14, 2011
Yeah surprised how much she complains in the video....though I give her credit. OU was going to get rid of their program in the 90s and they just grabbed her from Norman Highschool.....and she turned OU into a national WB name.

Surprised is my reaction too, partly because it seemed out of character to be so focused on that. She's going to watch the replay and see that the refs were not so one-sided. ISU got whistled for plenty, including a few phantom fouls on both Pop and Anna. If Halie had not had a monster game, had the guards not protected the ball to make the most of our possessions, the fouls called against us could have spelled disaster.

The difference was ISU kept playing through the calls and OU did not. Sherri's attitude after the game seemed like a carryover from the game, and her players during and after the game appeared to be ready to whine first. That may have hurt her team's competitiveness.

JJ4ISU

Apr 11, 2006
WDM Side of Waukee
I thought Oklahoma was playing some very strange defense. They were committing fouls that the refs couldn't ignore even if they wanted to...at times, I thought the refs were going out of their way to keep the foul discrepancy close by calling some ticky tack fouls on us

Jambalaya

May 29, 2008
She is still a hottie though!!

Sherrie and Bill are friends

Sherrie was a 'hottie' in 1998 perhaps

Screen%20shot%202011-02-15%20at%208.14.07%20PM.png

View attachment 18292

NOW View attachment 18291

Last edited:

gizzsdad

Mar 4, 2009
This thread reminds me of a time many years ago when I watched an NBA game that had Bill Russell as a color analyst. They were commenting about someone complaining about a foul, and Russell claimed that Walt Bellamy had fouled out of more games than anyone at the time. But he said if you asked Walt - deep down in his heart-of-hearts - he would tell you that never committed ANY of those fouls.

This is also one thing I always respected about Gary Blair. Yes, his teams play thug defense and beat the crap out of you - but I rarely saw him complaining to officials about fouls. This is based mostly on my experience watching him in Hilton.

twistedredbird

Apr 26, 2008
Midwest
Most Coaches are sore losers at this level. No one wants to be swept, but good for Bill. These Coaches hate Coaching against him.

considering BF and SC are about as close as you can get to best friends, I don't think it was about losing to him, it was about losing an important game on their home floor.

Not to mention that the OU team wanted to win this for their assistant coach Ross who has breast cancer. It was a very emotional setting and game for the Sooners.

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
She complained about getting called for illegal screens, they were called for two. She complained about the post play being physical, our two posts (Pop and Anna) had nine fouls between them, her two posts had 9 fouls between them. She complained about 4 players fouling out - Hook fouled out with 40 seconds left, and Ellenberg fouled out will 11 seconds left. That was her fault for not telling others on the floor to foul, Durrett and Hartman both had no fouls. Ellenberg had two of her five fouls in the last minute, and picked up another instead of letting Nikki have a break away layup.

What does she expect when the player guarding Hallie most of the time was 4 inches shorter? Her two post players took 12 shots combined to ours who took 23, and if you add in Hallie, it's 38.

As others have mentioned she had four fouls in the final minute which was 8 FT's. That's her coaching, and not the officials.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
She is pretty smart. The more I think about this the more I dread the possibility of facing OU in the Big 12 Tournament. If ISU does, I'll wager that OU will get plenty of the calls. Her diatribe will have paid off.

And yes, I believe that Bill and Sherri are the closest friends there are among Big 12 WBB coaches.

Now I need to go back and look again at that 1998 pic that someone posted.:jiggy:

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
Coach Coale spent the whole post game press conference blaming the loss on the officials.

Iowa State won a big game, swept OU, got second place in the Big XII settting us up for a strong finish prior to the Conference Tourney.

Sherri has reason to gripe at what transpired. Some of her bluster was to shield her beleaguered players from criticism for a loss at home and getting bumped behind us and league-leading Baylor (for now).

Bill coached the Team to victory but he could complain too.

The most egregious being late in the game as Brinn got whacked twice on one shot attempt (no whistle) and Kidd called for deflecting a ball out of bounds when it was clear to me OU's player had the last touch.

It was not a poorly called game as games go but the fact that home teams are thought to get the best of calls may be what disturbs OU's Coale too in this loss. But didn't Hallie play well and Kidd hit two big three with minutes go!? OU did lose because we willed it.

Last edited:

Cysister

Mar 18, 2008
Dubuque, IA
Every OU player had 1 or 2 senseless foul I thought. Also when you have to foul at the end you need to have your designated people to commit them. Plus, we were going into the paint while OU was jump shots.

Last edited:

Dryburn

Apr 3, 2006
Somewhere in the U.S.
When a visiting team gets a lot more free throws than the home team, you can't put all that on the officials. A lot of it has to go on your style of play. Sure there were some questionable calls.......on both teams. But the fact is she does not have the players that could match ISU's physical style of play without fouling.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Your question should be "could ya.?"

Once you have the woulda, coulda, shoulda figured out you are well on your way to determining the meaning of life, the universe and like that. Please share once you have this figured out!

:smile: