Morrissey at the Surf Ballroom

h-man64

Oct 18, 2006
West Des Moines
This is a bucket list concert for me, but it seems strange that he would play Clear Lake. Show is Tuesday February 5. Any chance there will be a good crowd? How is the Surf as as venue?

aforstate

Jan 23, 2010
It's not the first time that he's played there. I've never been, but The Surf is supposed to be a historic venue.

May 20, 2010
Des Moines
Morrissey was originally scheduled to play October 30th. His mom was ill back in England so he went back home to be with her. The event has been rescheduled for Tuesday, February 5th. My wife is dying to go, me ... just being a good husband.

timappelgate

Apr 9, 2010
Cedar Falls, IA
I live in Mason City (5 miles from The Surf). The Surf still thinks it's a great venue, but it's not. Old building that only has it's history to run on.

aforstate

Jan 23, 2010
Supposed to be?

Jesus, man. Okay, the Surf is a super historic venue that I just happen to know the entire history of, down to when the bathroom was cleaned last. You should probably take your shoes off before you enter. Better?

Like I said, I have NEVER been there. I have seen the outside of it, and have heard little bits and pieces of its history. That is all. Apologies.

Last edited:

clones_jer

Apr 16, 2006
IA
The Surf is kind of a neat place to watch a concert. Its basically a basketball gym, with a stage at one baseline and a a bar at the other and slightly elevated booths on the sides.

I've seen Blackhawk, Lonestar & several other country groups there. The building is old but its neat to check out.

ketelmeister

Oct 24, 2006
If you enjoy a sense of history at any facility or building, you will enjoy the Surf. It's a classic 1950s ballroom, restored to it's original condition. Booths, beautiful wall painting and classic dance floor. The hall of fame of performers there is a who's who in rock and country music. It's going back in time, and for many that is something fun even if you are too young to remember. I HIGHLY recommend going. My Dad's band played the Surf the night after Buddy Holly's plane crash. The owner took him out to see the crash site. They played a couple of tunes and ended the evening. The loss of some of the brightest stars of the day carries to this day.

docholihawk

Oct 9, 2012
clear lake
I live in Clear Lake and from what people have told me they really like what's been done there. When I was younger I saw 30-40 concerts there and had a great time. The place got to be run down quite a bit in the 80's-early 90's but when the Snyder Construction family bought it they put a lot of money into it. I haven't been there since I became disabled, hard to handle crowded areas, but it does attract large crowds for good concerts. I believe the date is right after the Winter Dance Festival/Buddy Holly Days so the town won't be packed with a ton of people and Hotels, restaurants, bars shouldn't be hard to get to. I would be careful about drinking and driving, cops seem to be okay with the bars on main street and The Other Place, two blocks from Surf, but other than those they watch pretty close. If you can make it I think you would have a good time. The Surf is listed in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame for Venues although most of that can be attributed to the early days.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron