How could Jack Trice hold 58,000?

CycloneGB

Jul 20, 2010
Remember the days when student section tickets were dirt cheap and the seats were still rarely completely full? IRRC, they were like $40 when I was in school...

You could show up halfway through the first quarter and still weasel your way into the first 20 rows.. Unbelievable turnaround.

cyinne

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2009
O-town, Iowa
You could always get a few hundred more if they put bleachers on the cement behind the teams. A-la Iowa 2005.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
He should, but he got what he paid for. The AD advertised that they were overselling those tickets. It's not always my favorite deal, but it's not an arbitrary surprise, either.

Well, when the sales pitch you get is at orientation for an All Sports pass, they don't really tell you that you aren't getting a seat. They don't hand you a JP press release. It's more like you're an out of state engineering freshman and they tell you for another $270 we tack onto your U bill, you can get into everything, and if you don't buy this now, they'll sell out and you won't be able to get into Cyclone Alley. Oh and if you buy it now, free shirts.

clones_jer

Apr 16, 2006
IA
Well, when the sales pitch you get is at orientation for an All Sports pass, they don't really tell you that you aren't getting a seat. They don't hand you a JP press release. It's more like you're an out of state engineering freshman and they tell you for another $270 we tack onto your U bill, you can get into everything, and if you don't buy this now, they'll sell out and you won't be able to get into Cyclone Alley. Oh and if you buy it now, free shirts.

Hug him and tell him it will all be ok for all of us.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN

Well look at the bright side. When I went to school I had a seat but no team to watch. :spinny:

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Does anyone think it would be concievable to add bleachers on the field level on both sides permenantly? It might not be convenient, but I think we could sell the heck out of those seats over the next few years (until we get SEZ) and it would bring the fans closer to the field.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Does anyone think it would be concievable to add bleachers on the field level on both sides permenantly? It might not be convenient, but I think we could sell the heck out of those seats over the next few years (until we get SEZ) and it would bring the fans closer to the field.

I'm guessing when they did this they beefed up the security pretty heavily so unless it is a sellout every time I think it would be a revenue negative proposition. Keep in mind that there is really no physical barrier between these bleachers and both teams' benches.

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009

I would be all for it. I think it would really add to the atmosphere to have fans closer to the field.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
I'm guessing when they did this they beefed up the security pretty heavily so unless it is a sellout every time I think it would be a revenue negative proposition. Keep in mind that there is really no physical barrier between these bleachers and both teams' benches.

Good point. Didn't think about that.

CyArob

Why are you the way that you are?
Apr 22, 2011
MN
Sounds like he needs to make some friends who can save him a seat. I 'm a student and get there right when the gates open and I still usually end up in the upper deck. But I'd rather be up high and on the 40 yard line than in the front row and 10 yards beyond the endzone.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Decent point, and plus some of those went to the band who they can trust not to cause any issues. I don't see them being kicked out of their current location though for this. When we do the SEZ, who knows.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Well look at the bright side. When I went to school I had a seat but no team to watch. :spinny:

My first year in band our seats were in the front of the student section. They couldn't even fill it.

BTW, they hated having the band in front of them. They would get ticked every time the sousas picked up their horns to play. It actually led to some animosity I think. Then the band moved to the south EZ bleachers and became completely disconnected from the students. Now that the band is back on the North side it finally feels like they have a connection with the students again, which is awesome.

clones_jer

Apr 16, 2006
IA
Decent point, and plus some of those went to the band who they can trust not to cause any issues. I don't see them being kicked out of their current location though for this. When we do the SEZ, who knows.

I don't trust the band as far as I can throw em ... suspicious to me, always standing there with their "instruments" and their "uniforms". I mean really, how could there really be not 1 person that "knows the words" to that stupid f'ing song?

Oct 10, 2012
Des Moines
Selling beer inside JT is easily the best way to raise extra revenue.

Obviously ISU letting fans leave and have a couple at half time in the parking lot is commendable but doesn't really make the school any money. ISU seems to do a pretty good job in terms of crowd control IMO the kids I have seen getting protective custodied it has been for their own good. Lots of other teams security go overboard putting hoards of drunk people in silver bracelets. And its a very friendly fan base I have hardly seen an away fan lambasted by a drunk person.

I don't think beer inside the stadium would be an issue.

If you're going to expand the stadium and justify cost of expansion I think you need to make total capacity higher than Kinnick. Make a statement its going to cost a lot of money regardless. So I'd put a 3rd level on the east side. And configure the walkways up to that level to have views of the field so you can sell more GA tickets. The additional seats will only sell if they are cheap too (although JT could definitely do with some more premium/club seating.)

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Selling beer inside JT is easily the best way to raise extra revenue.

Wouldn't the Board of Regents have to sign off on that? If so, good luck with that. Even if they wouldn't have to sign off, I could see the legislature getting their panties in a bunch and making a huge issue out of it. Keep in mind that only 11 University owned stadiums sell beer to all seating areas at their Div 1 games. I can't see everyone involved letting ISU getting that far away from the norm on this issue.