Matt Thomas ranked No. 31 on ESPN's top 100

BuffettClone

Jul 7, 2012
Congrats to Matt, quite a jump in the rankings...now he's closer to where he should be!

Yes13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2009
Highest ranked recruit in the Big 12 (so far). Suck it Kansas.

Last edited:

Thompsonclone

Dec 13, 2008
Ames
Future McDonalds All-American? They go by ESPN's rankings and we all know they have taken players rated way lower than 31. Obviously I'm not going to get my hopes up though.

Goldfinger

Nov 5, 2009
Future McDonalds All-American? They go by ESPN's rankings and we all know they have taken players rated way lower than 31. Obviously I'm not going to get my hopes up though.

no they don't go by any rankings, its done by a vote by committee. If Matt was in that top35 range among all recruiting services, then he'd be in the hunt, but still likely not. 5th year preps are not eligible, but I don't see too many of those types in the top 25 this year. Game is in chicago, BTW

Thompsonclone

Dec 13, 2008
Ames
no they don't go by any rankings, its done by a vote by committee. If Matt was in that top35 range among all recruiting services, then he'd be in the hunt, but still likely not. 5th year preps are not eligible, but I don't see too many of those types in the top 25 this year. Game is in chicago, BTW

Oh really? I always thought rankings played a huge part in deciding who goes. Maybe since he is one of the best shooters in the class they will vote him in for the 3 point contest? I always knew 5th year preps couldn't play but I didn't know it didn't go by rankings. Thanks for clearing that up.

Goldfinger

Nov 5, 2009
Oh really? I always thought rankings played a huge part in deciding who goes. Maybe since he is one of the best shooters in the class they will vote him in for the 3 point contest? I always knew 5th year preps couldn't play but I didn't know it didn't go by rankings. Thanks for clearing that up.

indirectly rankings have a huge effect, because the obviously the higher ranked players are going to be selected and the most all the guys doing the rankings have a vote. I believe it is a 35 member committee last year. Also in the final round of voting, each person is asked to select 2 PGs, 2 SGs, 2SFs, 2PFs, 2Cs for both an east and west squad.

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX
All this is getting me jacked for basketball season to start! I tell ya what it's a great feeling to be a Cyclone fan!

Me too; just look what Fred has done with shooters. I can only imagine how MT is gonna flourish under Fred.

Final42b

Jan 4, 2009
Ames

The way he has been rising...he has a chance.

copenhagen

Apr 23, 2007
This is good news and shows the player respect. But i find it funny that just because 2 guys from 2 sites say he is good the shiny objects, pretty stars crowd goes bonkers. A couple months ago the same player was just a ok small town midwest player that might make a few threes for us. Strange how the system works.

brokenloginagain

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2006
This is good news and shows the player respect. But i find it funny that just because 2 guys from 2 sites say he is good the shiny objects, pretty stars crowd goes bonkers. A couple months ago the same player was just a ok small town midwest player that might make a few threes for us. Strange how the system works.

by "system" do you mean going to watch players play basketball games? because that's how it works.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
A couple months ago we knew he was Fred's top target which pretty much says all we needed to know.