Kansas City BBQ Question

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Gotta know what you want before you get in line. They move a lot of people through there and don't like it when people are indecisive. The first time I was in there I was waiting for someone to say "NO Q FOR YOU!" :realmad:
But it's my first time!

CY ST8T

Mar 23, 2006
Smokin Guns is my all time Favorite, but none of the ones mentioned are a bad choice either.

D

DistrictCyclone

Another vote for Oklahoma Joe's, even if it is in Kansas.

OK Joe's > Bryant's > Gates > everything else

huntt26

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
po' dUnk
Arthur Bryants gets my vote - watch out though, it's in the ghetto

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
Gotta know what you want before you get in line. They move a lot of people through there and don't like it when people are indecisive. The first time I was in there I was waiting for someone to say "NO Q FOR YOU!" :realmad:

If there are signs posted about the procedures, i.e. know what you want before you get in line, then I'm fine with this. If it's their schtick and they hope to catch people off guard for the humor of it all, there are other places to get good Q. Never was a big fan of Soup Nazi type establishments, but as I've gotten older I've decided that I like pleasant atmospheres withy my food.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
You want a sit down dining experience:
Hit up Jack Stack. I like their ribs or their burnt ends. The sides are top notch, BBQ beans and cheesy corn for the win. To do it right, hit the original location in Martin City on the south side of town, near the state line on 135th Street.

For something quick:
Oklahoma Joes - Either the Z-Man or Smokey Joe sandwich for me, side of fries. The Olathe location isn't the original, but it is much larger so it is easier to get a place to sit.

Gates - Burnt end on a bun and fries. Whatever you order, just be ready to roll, because they keep things moving.

I'm not a huge fan of Bryant's myself, but plenty of people love it. BBQ comes down to personal taste.

flander1649

Apr 20, 2006
Kansas City
Visit site
1. Okie Joes
2. BB's Lawnside
3. Arthur Bryant's
4. Jack stack
5. LC's
6. RJ's
7. Johnny's
8. Gates - not a big fan everytime I go the meat I get is dry and bland tasting.

Also don't ever go to Wyndotte BBQ it is the worst BBQ I have ever had in my life

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
It really depends on what you want to eat. Arthur Bryants has good sandwiches, but the ribs I had were not very good. Oklahoma Joes on Mission is great, but it seems a little impure that the best sandwich I had there was the one that had to be dressed up with the onion ring (Z-man). Gates spicy sauce is the best, IMO, and I really liked the ribs I had there.
The Z Man sandwich or Chicken Z Man at Oklahoma Joe's >>>>>>>>>>>>>> *
Soooo good. You get decent value for your money too. Great great bbq joint.
You want a sit down dining experience:
Hit up Jack Stack. I like their ribs or their burnt ends. The sides are top notch, BBQ beans and cheesy corn for the win. To do it right, hit the original location in Martin City on the south side of town, near the state line on 135th Street.
For something quick:
Oklahoma Joes - Either the Z-Man or Smokey Joe sandwich for me, side of fries. The Olathe location isn't the original, but it is much larger so it is easier to get a place to sit.
Gates - Burnt end on a bun and fries. Whatever you order, just be ready to roll, because they keep things moving.
I'm not a huge fan of Bryant's myself, but plenty of people love it. BBQ comes down to personal taste.

These are the correct answers. Save yourself some time and call in your order. If you don't be prepared to stand in line for a half hour at the gas station.

cyflier

Apr 13, 2006
Was passing by KC on Friday and actually drove 30 minutes out of the way to get the Z-man and fries at Oklahoma Joes.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron