Roku vs. Apple TV

madcityCY

Nov 29, 2006
Madison, WI
or other internet media devices.

I'm tired of paying waaay too much to internet/ cable/ HDTV. I don't watch that many shows - mostly sports, movies, Discovery/ History/ Nat Geo. I like NCAA football, NFL football, NCAA basketball and Baseball. The girlfriend however likes such gems as "Real Housewives, Oprah, Dancing With the Stars, Grey's Anatomy, etc."

I think I want Roku or Apple TV, but I'm hoping that some of you tech-savy folks here can give me your thoughts, and answer me a few questions about content, user-friendliness, etc. I already have apple computer/ iphone etc, and generally like using iTunes and Apple Interface. I have heard however that Roku has more content.

I know that MLB.tv is supported with both devices, but what options are there for other sports? I don't care about NBA.

ESPN3 - any idea if this will be available soon? I suppose I could continue to watch on my laptop...

Are the Pandora Hulu or Amazon stuff any good?

Is there much free content?

After startup costs (box, cables, antenna for regular HD cable) I think getting my media this way will half my "media" bill

Thanks in advance!

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Have you checked out Boxee? I just got one a few weeks and it works sweet. It can play my itunes files or any other content on my PC. It has ESPN3, Pandora and about 100 other apps. It has wireless.

Go over to http://www.boxee.tv/download and check it out for free. I think you can pretty much use it on your laptop before buying the box.

cyhawkdmb

Jul 13, 2010
CB
I bought Google TV A couple months ago and am Hugely disappointed in it. I wish I would have gotten the Roku. It seems like it does more for less in my book.

That being said I have a used logitech revue for sale... retail $350 Ill let it go for $250 OBO............

FYI the top of the line Roku box is $99...

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
or other internet media devices.

I'm tired of paying waaay too much to internet/ cable/ HDTV. I don't watch that many shows - mostly sports, movies, Discovery/ History/ Nat Geo. I like NCAA football, NFL football, NCAA basketball and Baseball. The girlfriend however likes such gems as "Real Housewives, Oprah, Dancing With the Stars, Grey's Anatomy, etc."

I think I want Roku or Apple TV, but I'm hoping that some of you tech-savy folks here can give me your thoughts, and answer me a few questions about content, user-friendliness, etc. I already have apple computer/ iphone etc, and generally like using iTunes and Apple Interface. I have heard however that Roku has more content.

I know that MLB.tv is supported with both devices, but what options are there for other sports? I don't care about NBA.

ESPN3 - any idea if this will be available soon? I suppose I could continue to watch on my laptop...

Are the Pandora Hulu or Amazon stuff any good?

Is there much free content?

After startup costs (box, cables, antenna for regular HD cable) I think getting my media this way will half my "media" bill

Thanks in advance!

We canceled our Mediacom cable and just stuck with Mediacom internet. We watch our media using the XBox (ESPN3 & Netflix) or our PS3 (Hulu & Netflix) - this saves us $70/month (no basic cable, no expanded cable, no HD cable service, and no Showtime) and we can still watch HD broadcast tv (albeit a day later using Hulu) and we can stream any TV shows we may have missed out on (we're currently re-watching The X-Files in it's entirety on Netflix).

I would recommend going with the Roku box. It has an HD box and there are no fees attached except for purchasing the unit and the subscription fees for the channels you wish to watch. Apple TV allows 99-cent rentals through the iTunes store, but lacks the same number of subscription channels that Roku has. I also expect ESPN to announce that ESPN will be offered as an online channel in the next couple of years - I believe ESPN currently provides an online simulcast to Warner Bros. cable subscribers.

kilgore_trout

Nov 10, 2006
Madison, WI
I have a Wii which I watch Netflix through - AWESOME! But I'm getting a Roku for my other TV because it can stream Netflix AND Hulu, etc.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
Love our rokuhd. Has everything i need. Looked at appletv and really liked the interface, but the 720p max killed it for me, plus didnt have as many outputs. Price was comparable so i felt i was getting more bang for my buck with roku.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Afte rdownloading the free PC software from Boxee - Download

Open the Boxee software

Go to Apps

Choose extra's/repositories

Choose add repository

Put in dir.streamfree.tv

Then go to the Navi-X,ESPN3, JustinTV,LiveTV, etc and you'll pretty much find every TV show, movie, and live TV shows out there.

The enterface on your PC/Laptop will look exactly like what your TV will look like when you buy the box.

Swanson10

Jun 12, 2008
Digging this old thread out to get some more opinions.

For those of you with Roku's, how is it working out for you? Easy to use and setup, etc.? Have the channel options expanded? Any additional information is much appreciated!

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
The only thing I don't like about Roku is that it can't access the media on your network. I'm thinking about getting another player besides the boxee but I'm thinking about just getting a combo Blu-Ray/Google TV combo since the DVD player in that room is 10 years old.

waynemorgan

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 13, 2007
Can somebody explain in caveman terms why I need to buy a Roku player? Saw them at Costco today but am still unsure of their use?!? Maybe a top 5 on it's benefits over mediacom?

Thanks!!!!

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
Can somebody explain in caveman terms why I need to buy a Roku player? Saw them at Costco today but am still unsure of their use?!? Maybe a top 5 on it's benefits over mediacom?

Thanks!!!!

Streams Netflix, amazon, Hulu plus, etc. with subscription to those services anyway. Not sure it's quite time to cut cable 100 percent, but it's a solid device if ou can make use of those services.

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
Any Roku experts know if there are substantial differences between Roku & Roku 2? This seems like a solid deal.

isufan

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 23, 2009
SW Iowa
Ok, I don't know much about this stuff. I just upgraded my internet and have wireless in my house (used to have a US Cellular deal but it sucked). I was planning to get a blueray players that can stream stuff to my tv. Would I be better off getting this Roku deal?

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron