ISU Defense Strategy and Offense Strategy

cyhawk55

Sep 9, 2011
The Bend don't break defense isn't working. This Strategy is great if your front four can make plays but ours can't. So when Reeves and Johnson, who are two of the Best CBs in the Big 12 are playing 8 to 10 to ten yards of the ball the other team can run short curl routes ALL DAY against us. This team has the talent to win these games our secondary and linebackers are very solid in coverage we just need to blitz more and move our corners closer to the line of scrimmage. On offense I just don't think we can pull off the spread we just don't have the receivers for it. Our line seems better suited for a pro set offense similar to Iowa's. I love the ball that Barnett throws he has some serious talent he just needs to become more consistent with his throws. This team is so close to being where we think they should be.

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
Can't do anything when the offense can't stay on the field for more than 1 or 2 series. The defense just gets worn out. It shows more today than other games, imo for how well they were playing early. Our O has to find a way to burn some clock when they are out there.

tman24

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2008
let the team score as many points as possible and create as many 3 and outs as possible.

nhclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2008
This team is so close to being where we think they should be.

If I read that correctly, this team is so close...we just need to completely change our offense and defense?

Tedcyclone

Oct 27, 2009
West Des Moines
The Bend don't break defense isn't working. This Strategy is great if your front four can make plays but ours can't. So when Reeves and Johnson, who are two of the Best CBs in the Big 12 are playing 8 to 10 to ten yards of the ball the other team can run short curl routes ALL DAY against us. This team has the talent to win these games our secondary and linebackers are very solid in coverage we just need to blitz more and move our corners closer to the line of scrimmage. On offense I just don't think we can pull off the spread we just don't have the receivers for it. Our line seems better suited for a pro set offense similar to Iowa's. I love the ball that Barnett throws he has some serious talent he just needs to become more consistent with his throws. This team is so close to being where we think they should be.

i agree with this for the most parts... i dont know why when we are down by 7-20 pts we dont let the corners take more chances on routes.. annoying... we got within 2 scores and they just let A&M throw sideline routes all night... let reeves or LJ try to make a play.

cyclone87

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2011
Ames, IA
Thought Reeves had a poor game today, Johnson is very good though; one of the only sure tacklers on defense. Thought overall the defense played much better than they did in the Missouri, but then again they couldn't get much worse. We needed to do more on offense today and couldn't convert in key situations that is pretty much what cost us the game.

clonestar12

May 16, 2006
Texas

Our offense is killing the defense. Even when the defense plays well(1Q), they can`t get enough of a break. Offenses in the B12 eventually get into a rythm when given enough chances.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
Our offense is killing the defense. Even when the defense plays well(1Q), they can`t get enough of a break. Offenses in the B12 eventually get into a rythm when given enough chances.

In fairness, the defense never exactly helps the offense with a short field or anything. The lack of turnovers is disturbing. The offense never has a shot to get into rhythm because the defense can't get themselves off the field.

Reactions: CycloneErik

Skyh13

Mar 17, 2006
This team is so close to getting there.. but they're so far away from getting there, it's hard to get there.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
In fairness, the defense never exactly helps the offense with a short field or anything. The lack of turnovers is disturbing. The offense never has a shot to get into rhythm because the defense can't get themselves off the field.

This I agree with. Our defense seldom helps our offense this year. I think it has something to do with the teams and gameplans we have in place. The first three games were teams that ran a lot and weren't turnover prone. The last four have been situations where I think we wanted to make teams beat us running the football. They have done that obviously.

I was going to say the same thing. He gets burnt time in and time out all game long.

Not really but make up what you want.

This team is so close to getting there.. but they're so far away from getting there, it's hard to get there.

I agree with you too.

cyclonez7

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny
The bend but don't break philosophy was the most apparent when A&M ran comeback routes for 10-15 yards a lot. If you try to cheat on it then they are just going to run hitch-and-go's for big yards. We gave them the easy yards cause if we tried to jump routes or jam them at the line we would of gotten beat deep. So it's kind of a pick-your-poison situation.

Cytom5

Sep 3, 2010
Ames
Wally Has done wonders for this defense. :jimlad: I need to stop or I will get suspended again. that is my last negative post for the night

Psyclone Brian

Apr 11, 2006
42°00'50"N 93°
Well, the offensive strategy would be to get a Seneca Wallace type QB... a Troy Davis Type RB... an RJ Sumrall wide-out... on one side, maybe an Austin Flynn agressive type on the other side. 5 big dudes up front that can give the Seneca Wallace type QB all the time he needs to let a play develop.

The Defensive strategy is easier. (cash might come into play here, but it doesn't go directly to the player) OK, it can... or his family. Don't just go after the best you can get, go after the best there is! From the line, to the LB's, to the 2ndary.

The Kicking game is even easier. Are you telling me we can't go find some pro soccer player, or anybody with a nice proven track record as far as accuracy goes?

My bottom line........ If we are going to have to settle on recruiting what we can get, or walk-ons, etc... Then things are more than likely continue the way they are. It doesn't matter if Lou Holtz, Bobby Bowden, Pete Carroll, and Vince Lombardi all try to coach this team... We need to get some strong sought after talent that can play the game a step above the rest. If we don't... we're just gonna stay with the rest.

Creed

Mar 14, 2011
Fort Dodge

We punted the ball and recover off an A&M player, believe we started inside the 30. What do we do, go 3 and out...kick a FG (which was made, suprisingly).

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
We punted the ball and recover off an A&M player, believe we started inside the 30. What do we do, go 3 and out...kick a FG (which was made, suprisingly).

All I'm trying to say is that neither unit has anyone to blame outside themselves. The defense has no reason to cry about being on the field too much. They need to get their own ***** off it. The offense and defense are battling for the highest level of ineptitude.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
The Defense versus Offense blame game is a push. We rank 9th in the league in total offense going into today and will drop to 10th after this game. We rank 9th in the league in total defense. We are dead last in scoring offense and 9th in scoring defense. We are collectively the worse team in the league. Only Kansas is as bad because their defense sucks as bad as ours.

:sad:

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron