Ames Buffalo Wild Wings, workers in Hawk shirts!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
Everyone knows you tip based on how the waiter/waitress is dressed, not based on service!!!!!

Actually,I guess this is somewhat true. Hot chicks do get tipped more.

Like I said earlier about Hooters. In cases like this, it's not what's ON the shirt/pants. It's what IN the shirt/pants that opens wallets. :biggrin:

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
And this isn't petty because?........

Who cares if it is? If I worked in the service industry, I'd damned well understand that what I looked like would impact my bottom line. If you're that stupid to wear that on an ISU gameday with a ton of ISU fans in town (and very few iowa fans...unless you count the UNI people), then you probably deserve to get stiffed on tips. I personally wouldn't stiff the waitress, but I wouldn't blame someone who did.

As for being petty, I think that we'll see PLENTY of hawk fans being petty on Saturday. You guys have what is likely the most idiotic, self-entitled, boarish, ignorant, uneducated, white trash fanbase on the planet. I expect no less from your fanbase on Saturday. And what they do on a regular basis makes not giving a waitress a tip look nice by comparison.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
Yeah, any guy that doesn't admit to it is probably lying. It happens subconsciously most of the time.

If the chick was hot enough and showed enough her shirt could say **** ISU and she'd get a decent tip from me.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
Who cares if it is? If I worked in the service industry, I'd damned well understand that what I looked like would impact my bottom line. If you're that stupid to wear that on an ISU gameday with a ton of ISU fans in town (and very few iowa fans...unless you count the UNI people), then you probably deserve to get stiffed on tips. I personally wouldn't stiff the waitress, but I wouldn't blame someone who did.

As for being petty, I think that we'll see PLENTY of hawk fans being petty on Saturday. You guys have what is likely the most idiotic, self-entitled, boarish, ignorant, uneducated, white trash fanbase on the planet. I expect no less from your fanbase on Saturday. And what they do on a regular basis makes not giving a waitress a tip look nice by comparison.

I won't deny that the Hawk fanbase is hardly a saintly bunch. But two wrongs don't make a right.

I just feel like if you're going to eat someplace, you should tip your waiter/waitress if he/she does a good job. If you don't care for their wearing Hawk gear on an ISU gameday, tip them (maybe under-tip a little, but still tip them), and then don't come back on gamedays in the future. But don't run them into the ground serving you and then leave them nothing.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
I won't deny that the Hawk fanbase is hardly a saintly bunch. But two wrongs don't make a right.

I just feel like if you're going to eat someplace, you should tip your waiter/waitress if he/she does a good job. If you don't care for their wearing Hawk gear on an ISU gameday, tip them (maybe under-tip a little, but still tip them), and then don't come back on gamedays in the future. But don't run them into the ground serving you and then leave them nothing.

What's wrong with this? It's all in good fun, c'mon man, rivalry week! Yay!

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
What's wrong with this? It's all in good fun, c'mon man, rivalry week! Yay!

It wasn't rivalry week when the OP went to BWW. The one day where this practice would be acceptable would be this Saturday. Plus, it's not fun to stiff people out of their hard-earned money. I've been on the other side of that fence before, and it's not fun.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
It wasn't rivalry week when the OP went to BWW. The one day where this practice would be acceptable would be this Saturday. Plus, it's not fun to stiff people out of their hard-earned money. I've been on the other side of that fence before, and it's not fun.
*insert joke about getting pizza delivered here*

I'll give you credit, tm3308, at least you can take some crap. :smile: You aren't a complete and total d-bag like most of your fanbase.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
wow, this is a joke right? Come on, there are Iowa fans in Ames, just as there some ISU fans in Iowa City. Get over it.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
*insert joke about getting pizza delivered here*

I'll give you credit, tm3308, at least you can take some crap. :smile: You aren't a complete and total d-bag like most of your fanbase.

I know where I'm at when I'm here lol. It comes with the territory.

And if I were a Cyclone fan who was in the OP's position, I would have done what you guys do to me here: give him/her a little crap, all in good fun. Stiffing them on the tip is NOT all in good fun.

ketelmeister

Oct 24, 2006
wow, this is a joke right? Come on, there are Iowa fans in Ames, just as there some ISU fans in Iowa City. Get over it.

On game day, firing up for the Cyclones first victory, didn't need three Hawk shirts, plus glittery Hawk pin to start my day. There were others as well. Maybe they are looking for Iowa fans to work there, I don't know. They have a choice, so do I. But I believe it's not very smart business. I would feel the same way about the one in Iowa City. I would not expect I State shirts there on game day. Just my observation. If you like it, go there. They need the business. (and I wouldn't stiff the tip on anyone)

Hawkeye11en1

Apr 22, 2011
Colorado
On game day, firing up for the Cyclones first victory, didn't need three Hawk shirts, plus glittery Hawk pin to start my day. There were others as well. Maybe they are looking for Iowa fans to work there, I don't know. They have a choice, so do I. But I believe it's not very smart business. I would feel the same way about the one in Iowa City. I would not expect I State shirts there on game day. Just my observation. If you like it, go there. They need the business. (and I wouldn't stiff the tip on anyone)

Although I have not been to this particular BWW, I would venture to guess that is inaccurate. Nevertheless, it is really pretty petty to care what a server is wearing. If she was shoving down your throats and talking trash, then so be it. Complain. But to email corporate over a few t-shirts? Yikes.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
What I don't get is why some Ames businesses don't seem to think that having strong Iowa State athletics is in their best interest or in the least just take it for granted. Ames is Iowa State but you would hardly know it driving around town. Are they going to be happy when we drop to MWC or CUSA and football attendance goes from 45000 to 30000. Not saying they can make a difference but why should we expect the national media to care when some local businesses don't seem to.

I would much prefer going to WestCyed Wings over BWW's but last few times I was there service was gawd awful.

I wonder this also. It is just good business to support the home team, especially when it is not rivalry week. I wouldn't make a huge case out of it, but if it were my business, they would wear ISU or nothing at all (er, I mean just plain clothes).

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009

First off, this seems like a double standard to me. Iowa fans can act boarish, get drunk and be rude to anyone, go up to total strangers and scream in their faces and throw beers on them and it is "just a bad segment of fans" and "we don't claim them". But ISU fan gets mad and sends an email to BWW management and our entire fanbase is thin-skinned and petty...basically whiny little b$tches. Funny how that works. Hawk fan can act like an idiot and nothing comes of it while Cyclone fan gets chastized over something that hurt no one.

As for your tipping comment, I agree. I'm usually between 10 and 20%. If the service is bad (or the girl is wearing a hawk shirt), I'm probably going to be close to 10. If the service is good and the girl is hot, probably closer to 20. The only thing that seeing the iowa gear on the waitress would do for me is move BWW a little further down the ranking when I decide to go out to eat in town again. Not saying I would never go there again, just maybe it moves WCW up above BWW a few notches.

Bottom line for me has always been that people can spend their own money where they see fit based on the price, product and whatever other factors are important to them. If a person wants to reward a business for supporting ISU or punish others for not supporting ISU, that is THEIR business.

TedKumsher

Aug 30, 2007
Ames
I've never had a problem there, and this seems kind of petty.

I don't really care what they're wearing. I care if I get the food I order. That's never been a problem, so I'm happy enough with them.
Except that some (most) people also care -- to SOME extent -- about the experience.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Except that some (most) people also care -- to SOME extent -- about the experience.
Yeah when I choose to go to a place like BWW it's because of the dining experience...and it is RUINED if I see someone making a fashion choice I disagree with.

BasedClone

Jun 14, 2011
Not even going to lie, if a waitress wearing hawk gear served me in Ames and we had friendly banter and we poked fun at each other, I am more likely to leave a larger tip. Because it was all in good fun!

People (more specifically the OP), lighten up and remember that ISU-Iowa is a FUN rivalry!

Status
Not open for further replies.