The Dan McCarney Method

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
100 Reasons To Be A Cyclone: Day 66 | ISU Football

This inspired me to bring up some conversation about Dan. I loved Dan. He represented us well and I will always be thankful for that. However, its summer downtime and we all know what that means... gripes and what could have beens.

After watching the 2000 highlights that was previously posted, I got really nostalgic about some great times we had, but it also brought in some let downs. The last few years Dan was here were some awful years. Did he lose the spark? Or was he just too comfortable to notice the crap going on. Why was he so loyal to a playbook, support staff, and culture that cost him wins?

We had some standout players on teams that underperformed. How far did that put us behind in the minds of recruits? I give PR and staff a ton of credit for building excitement and morale. Even more so on players that would have experienced the downward spiralling end of DM and the heartless showing of GC.

Last edited:

CRAZYGREG

Feb 29, 2008
Des Moines
1st down: Run up the middle (0 yards)
2nd down: run up the middle (1 yard)
3rd down: try a pass - crap they where expecting it
4th down: Punt

I sat through every single year of his crap.

azn4cy

Dec 27, 2008
DSM
1st down: Run up the middle (0 yards)
2nd down: run up the middle (1 yard)
3rd down: try a pass - crap they where expecting it
4th down: Punt

I sat through every single year of his crap.

You have 2nd and 3rd down mixed up.

rebecacy

Jan 31, 2007
100 Reasons To Be A Cyclone: Day 66 | ISU Football

This inspired me to bring up some conversation about Dan. I loved Dan. He represented us well and I will always be thankful for that. However, its summer downtime and we all know what that means... gripes and what could have beens.

After watching the 2000 highlights that was previously posted, I got really nostalgic about some great times we had, but it also brought in some let downs. The last few years Dan was here were some awful years. Did he lose the spark? Or was he just too comfortable to notice the crap going on. Why was he so loyal to a playbook, support staff, and culture that cost him wins?

We had some standout players on teams that underperformed. How far did that put us behind in the minds of recruits? I give PR and staff a ton of credit for building excitement and morale. Even more so on players that would have experienced the downward spiralling end of DM and the heartless showing of GC.
You'd have more luck with this at other sites where most still worship at the DMac altar.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
You have 2nd and 3rd down mixed up.

I'm not going to bash Dan but I will say that he lost his job in '05 due to his game day coaching. That team absolutely should've walked into the B12 Championship Game.

I wish him the best at NT.

rebecacy

Jan 31, 2007
I'm not going to bash Dan but I will say that he lost his job in '05 due to his game day coaching. That team absolutely should've walked into the B12 Championship Game.

I wish him the best at NT.
I know some leaders on that team that agree wholeheartedly with you. He was also a master at ******* up team chemistry by having different rules for different players based upon how good he thought you were.

Last edited:

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Do the McCarney haters ever take a day off?

Nope. We are obsessed. Look at all the threads.

We aren't "haters" either. We actually have an argument. He messed up multiple times with teams that should have been much better than they played. It's what happened. That's not being a hater, that's being realistic.

CykoAGR

Dec 16, 2008
Waukee, IA
This is how I see things through my own eyes.

The ISU FB program may not have become what it is today without DMac. He took a program that was HORRIBLE to heights that it had never been to before. He built the foundation that CPR is working with today. I dont know that stats and I'm not going to look them up but if you do you will see a dramatic increase in the level of talent before DMac vs during DMac judged by players in the NFL. The 5 bowl games in 6 years put ISU FB "on the map", or at least made us somewhat relevant again which is why I feel he established the foundation that I mentioned earlier.

On the other hand it seemed that DMac found a way to lose some big ones. His failed attempts at North Titles will always be a knock as well as his super conservative nature when his team had a lead or when we were down and needed a big play.

His success really led to his demise because once ISU fans got a taste of winning footbal mediocre play wasnt enough anymore and fans werent content with 7 wins.

I'm glad that DMac was a Cyclone and I am forever grateful for the kick in the *** that he gave the program but I was one that was calling for his job after the 06 season. It seemed that he had "peaked" and the program needed a new start.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
I dont know that stats and I'm not going to look them up but if you do you will see a dramatic increase in the level of talent before DMac vs during DMac judged by players in the NFL.

Isn't the bottom line wins and losses?

As I posted in the link below, McCarney and Walden had very similar records at ISU. If McCarney was getting better talent but still losing, isn't that an indictment of his coaching abilities?

http://www.cyclonefanatic.com/forum...h-dmac-rivals-com-homepage-3.html#post2294313

Last edited:

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Regarding Walden v. McCarney, yeah, Walden had a winning season that didn't get a bowl, but it was only one winning season. Danny Mac had 5 winning seasons.

Help Support Us

Become a patron