Daily article about Cael.

iahawkhunter

Apr 17, 2010
Huxley, IA
Saw this in today's Iowa State Daily. I felt like it was a little too harsh on Cael and I'm just wondering what everyone else thinks.

Cael Sanderson sold out - Iowa State Daily: Sports

I just gave it a quick read, but I agree that it seemed overly harsh. The article seemed to imply (at least to me) that a national championship would have been eminent if Cael had stayed in Ames. I don't follow wrestling closely enough to know how true that is. I agree, though, that Cael took the easy way out (as pointed out in a different thread recently).

cyfan964

Oct 22, 2006
I think it hit the nail on the head. He sold out his alma mater for more money and a better chance at getting big recruits. You can spin it any way you want, but that's what happened. I don't blame the guy, it's just the way it is.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
Well he did sell out. I think what hurts most is him taking recruits from us with him. That was a **** move. We paid him to bring those kids to Iowa State.

Last edited by a moderator:

pulse

Mar 24, 2006
I think it was right on the money. Nothing harsh at all about it.

TitanClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 21, 2008
I think it hit the nail on the head. He sold out his alma mater for more money and a better chance at getting big recruits. You can spin it any way you want, but that's what happened. I don't blame the guy, it's just the way it is.
That is what happened, he made a smart business move. If you got offered a job that increased your pay such a substantial amount and were told the job would be less stressful/less work (easy recruiting) than your previous job would you take it?

None of us know the entire story. Maybe Pollard and Cael had some sort of beef? Maybe Cael felt his alma mater didn't show him the respect he deserved? Who knows?

At the end of the day he is and always will be one of the greatest Cyclones ever. Embrace it.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
That is what happened, he made a smart business move. If you got offered a job that increased your pay such a substantial amount and were told the job would be less stressful/less work (easy recruiting) than your previous job would you take it?

None of us know the entire story. Maybe Pollard and Cael had some sort of beef? Maybe Cael felt his alma mater didn't show him the respect he deserved? Who knows?

At the end of the day he is and always will be one of the greatest Cyclones ever. Embrace it.

If he hadn't taken Cyler (likely costing us the title last year) and pretty much the entire 2009 recruiting class that we'd paid him to recruit with him, plus causing us to lose most of the 2008 recruiting class, then there would be a whole lot less bitterness.

azepp

Dec 9, 2009
Ankeny
I don't think the article was too harsh either. He sold out. I don't blame him.

That said, I wouldn't ever have written that article. The author is still harboring sour grapes over something that happened two years ago. It's time to move on.

RayShimley

Sep 9, 2008
White Bear Lake, MN

One, I have not heard anywhere that JP wasn't willing to match whatever salary PSU offered Cael. So it wasn't the money. Second, your scenario fails because we aren't just talking about leaving a job you have no personal connection to. It's more like if you worked for your family business for all your life, you'd already given your parents assurances that you wanted to take up the reins after they left and they'd made special arrangements for you to do so, and then, after a couple years, you decided it was too much work and went to go work somewhere else, taking with you all your family's old clients and their best employees. I'm not saying someone doesn't have the right to do that, but I think that is a more accurate analogy.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville

Not a similar scenario. Let's say a company hires you as a sales intern. They pay you well. You then do a terrific job and the whole company just loves you. You are known in the business because of what you did there. You are so great that not only does the company hire you full time, they bump out what would be your boss to make room for you to take control of the reigns. Now, this company, even though one of the top 5 in this particular branch, struggles in some of the other branches which are much more lucrative. Since, they struggle there, the money isn't the same as others.

So then, Company X comes calling. They are one of those companies that are huge with multiple successful branches. Not only that, but the most profitable branch of business is one of the "powers." Since this is so, they can then subsidize your branch with the overrun from the powerful branch and afford to give you more. They promise you basically the world in terms of this branch and can give you everything you want to succeed. Notice I said "want." I didn't say need because you were on track at your former company to have great success but the new office, four computer monitors, and fancy sale vehicle may have had to wait a little long.

You decide that instead of having some patience and sticking with the company who gave you your shot at an internship, then moved pieces to make you the manager of your department, you will go elsewhere to a company who didn't help make you what you are because it will be "easier" and you will make more money.

That's what he did. He sold out. I have a problem with it. I realize not all do and that's fine. I can see the other side as well but in the end he sold out and there's no other way to explain it.

Becker

Nov 10, 2006
Cedar Rapids
One, I have not heard anywhere that JP wasn't willing to match whatever salary PSU offered Cael. So it wasn't the money. Second, your scenario fails because we aren't just talking about leaving a job you have no personal connection to. It's more like if you worked for your family business for all your life, you'd already given your parents assurances that you wanted to take up the reins after they left and they'd made special arrangements for you to do so, and then, after a couple years, you decided it was too much work and went to go work somewhere else, taking with you all your family's old clients and their best employees. I'm not saying someone doesn't have the right to do that, but I think that is a more accurate analogy.

This is not the same at all. Cael wasn't even from Iowa. Yes, he did go to school here and won more than anyone ever. Yes, he did coach here after he was done. However he felt it was in his best interest to leave. He didn't owe ISU anything. If anyone owes, ISU should owe him for everything that he accomplished and the exposure he gave wrestling and ISU. He also didn't take those kids with him. After Cael left, they chose on their own to leave ISU. Just like hundreds of kids do after they leave when the head coach leaves that recruited them.

All to often people on this board take things way to personal about ISU. People need to remember that it is a business and shouldn't blame others for making decision on what is best for their own family. I think we all would take a new job if it was the best decision for their own family.

JJ4ISU

Apr 11, 2006
WDM Side of Waukee
Well he did sell out. I think what hurts most is him taking recruits from us with him. That was a **** move. We paid him to bring those kids to Iowa State.

I agree. That's his prerogative to take a different job, but to take recruits and a few current wrestlers with him to wrestle immediately is BS. And it's even worse to do that to your alma mater.

RayShimley

Sep 9, 2008
White Bear Lake, MN
This is not the same at all. Cael wasn't even from Iowa. Yes, he did go to school here and won more than anyone ever. Yes, he did coach here after he was done. However he felt it was in his best interest to leave. He didn't owe ISU anything. If anyone owes, ISU should owe him for everything that he accomplished and the exposure he gave wrestling and ISU. He also didn't take those kids with him. After Cael left, they chose on their own to leave ISU. Just like hundreds of kids do after they leave when the head coach leaves that recruited them.

All to often people on this board take things way to personal about ISU. People need to remember that it is a business and shouldn't blame others for making decision on what is best for their own family. I think we all would take a new job if it was the best decision for their own family.

You're right, ISU wrestling was nothing before Cael.

And BS he didn't take those kids with him. You are delusional if you think otherwise.

clones26

Nov 8, 2006
Urbandale
I heard Cael left because he wanted to be closer to home :jimlad:...I guess those Utah people dont know their directions very well

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville

News flash-People knew about ISU wrestling before Cael. He didn't make this program. ISU maybe did owe him though and guess what. They paid up. The moved Douglas out and him in right away. Then he sold out.

Reactions: joefrog

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
For the most part, I agree with the article.

From what I have heard (unconfirmed) Cael left over a beef regarding training facilities and a $1 million privately funded signing bonus at PSU. His 'salary' is about what he made at ISU.

Becker

Nov 10, 2006
Cedar Rapids
You're right, ISU wrestling was nothing before Cael.

And BS he didn't take those kids with him. You are delusional if you think otherwise.

You're right, ISU wrestling was nothing before Cael. - Did you talk to my wife? She has a habbit of reading into things I say. Did I say that ISU wasn't anything before Cael? Nope. Did I say that Cael did a lot for wrestling and ISU as far as exposure? Yep.
And BS he didn't take those kids with him. You are delusional if you think otherwise. - I must be delusional then. There is no way Cael went to those kids and said that they had to leave ISU. They chose on their own to follow the coach that recruited them. I'm sure if they felt like they wanted to stay, they could've stayed at ISU.

Madclone1

Oct 21, 2007
Saw this in today's Iowa State Daily. I felt like it was a little too harsh on Cael and I'm just wondering what everyone else thinks.

Cael Sanderson sold out - Iowa State Daily: Sports

He and his values folded like a cheap wallet.

You don't think he damaged ISU and our wrestling program for years to come? I do.

Was is it too harsh? No . . it was too gracious. Cashin Cael . . is just another carpet bagging coach who used ISU like a doormat.

CydeOut

Nov 21, 2009
Kansas
What bothers me about Cael is that ISU basically made Bobby Douglas step aside so that Cael could run the program to keep Cael from bolting for another school's head coaching job. Bobby was an excellent coach, but he knew to keep ISU growing and to capitalize on it's potential, Cael had to be the coach. Bobby graciously obliged and gave Cael the raines. Then, for Cael to bolt to Penn State because it was easier and more money, it just struck me as a slap in the face to Bobby Douglas. Yes, I agree, if I get paid more money to do an easier job I would be crazy not to jump on it. Hard to fault Cael for leaving, but the job security he had at ISU was infinite, money would have been ponied up at some time, and it is achieving success at a place you made a name for yourself. He wasn't coaching at a mid-major, he was coaching at a traditional power. Titles could have been won at ISU. Is Cael a sellout...yes. But let me say this, Cael will win titles because of his recruiting, not because of his coaching. At ISU, Cael implemented a methodical, tactical wrestling style that left us losing a lot of matches late and getting upset by guy or teams that we should have beat. Jackson brings more of the aggressive approach that will be much more successful...if he can get the athletes in here.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
I must be delusional then. There is no way Cael went to those kids and said that they had to leave ISU. They chose on their own to follow the coach that recruited them. I'm sure if they felt like they wanted to stay, they could've stayed at ISU.

When Cael left he took the entire 2009 recruiting class other than Weatherman with him. His timing was such that it was too late for Jackson to recruit any other elite guys. Additionally, it also caused us to lose a big portion of the 2008 recruiting class. Finally, he took his brother Cyler with him. If I recall he tried to bring other guys with him, but ISU wouldn't release them. The points that Cyler would have scored for us would have likely been the difference between our third place finish and first place finish last year.

Cael cleaned out the cubbard and left it totally bare for Jackson, that's why people have a problem with how he left.

Reactions: CyBobby

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron