McDermott and Barnes representing the state of Iowa with conference awards!

Bigguns

Sep 22, 2008
Doug was 1st team all MVC and rookie of the year!

Harrison was 2nd team all ACC and the only unanimous pick for the all freshman team!

Also representing Ames High!

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
Sad that the Ames Gym was the closest either ever got to Hilton Coliseum. Don't know if McDermott ever seriously considered us(definitely not after his dad's debacle). It is UNI fans that should be more upset, as he was directed to go to UNI, and then his dad had to call Jacobsen and say"Hey,on second thought he does want to play for me." Barnes is the giant miss for this program.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Let's keep this respectful, folks. This thread is discussing the accomplishments of a couple of kids who have represented the city of Ames, very well. It's not in the ISU Men's Basketball forum, it's in the General College Sports Forum. Keep your distasteful comments to yourself.

Thanks.

Reactions: Bigguns

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Sad that the Ames Gym was the closest either ever got to Hilton Coliseum. Don't know if McDermott ever seriously considered us(definitely not after his dad's debacle). It is UNI fans that should be more upset, as he was directed to go to UNI, and then his dad had to call Jacobsen and say"Hey,on second thought he does want to play for me." Barnes is the giant miss for this program.

yes, but as 30 people will come in this thread an say, if we landed HB we would be stuck with Greg McDermott still. Things fell into place where they should have.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
yes, but as 30 people will come in this thread an say, if we landed HB we would be stuck with Greg McDermott still. Things fell into place where they should have.

For another week or so probably after he had another stinker of a season with one of the most highly touted players in the country.

Reactions: Phaedrus

Bigguns

Sep 22, 2008
I used to agree with you, but have heard alot about how big of MJ fan he and his Mom are....When UNC got in the game I think he was theirs to lose. UNI fans that are upset with Doug are being unreasonable.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
For another week or so probably after he had another stinker of a season with one of the most highly touted players in the country.

I can only imagine the meltdown threads that come from a losing season with the #1 recruit in the country. We'd be ugly (and GMac's coaching would earn that).

I guess we'd all be having fun this week looking at coaching candidates. Not as much fun as we're having with the Mayor already here, but something.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I can only imagine the meltdown threads that come from a losing season with the #1 recruit in the country. We'd be ugly (and GMac's coaching would earn that).

I guess we'd all be having fun this week looking at coaching candidates. Not as much fun as we're having with the Mayor already here, but something.

And KG would be here to tell us how great McD is and how nobody would ever be willing to take this job because the program sucks so much.

cycfan1

Nov 27, 2006
Ames
He sure is playing like one now.

17-18 PPG does not equal All-American. He is surely playing great right now and has a high ceiling, but for him to be a pre-season All-American was laughable for a freshman that had never played college ball yet.

jay moe

Apr 10, 2006
southern iowa
I would like to think that if Fred were here for a year or 2 before Harrison and Doug left Ames High, they may be in Cardinal and Gold now.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
I thought Barnes was an All-American?

:jimlad:

Points. Laughs.

So many fools were ripping him early in the season. All he has done lately is be a big part of UNC winning the ACC. Fancy a freshman would struggle early and then improve drastically.

Sour grapes are plentiful here.

Reactions: jdoggivjc

bpmcclain

Nov 17, 2010
Ames
17-18 PPG does not equal All-American. He is surely playing great right now and has a high ceiling, but for him to be a pre-season All-American was laughable for a freshman that had never played college ball yet.

17-18 PPG may not, but all those clutch shots he has hit lately might

SeattleClone

Aug 15, 2006
I would like to think that if Fred were here for a year or 2 before Harrison and Doug left Ames High, they may be in Cardinal and Gold now.

I can't see a scenario with Fred as our coach where Doug McDermott would've come to ISU. If we had gone straight from Morgan to Hoiberg anytime in the past four years, Greg would still be at UNI and Doug would be playing there. If Greg had coached here and gotten fired OR quit, or was one more bad first season away from getting canned (sounds about like what happened) no way Doug's coming here.

I do agree we may have had a chance at HB if Fred had been here for a couple years and gotten himself established, but not sure if it would've been enough to overcome the MJ connection at UNC.

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
I can't see a scenario with Fred as our coach where Doug McDermott would've come to ISU. If we had gone straight from Morgan to Hoiberg anytime in the past four years, Greg would still be at UNI and Doug would be playing there. If Greg had coached here and gotten fired OR quit, or was one more bad first season away from getting canned (sounds about like what happened) no way Doug's coming here.

I do agree we may have had a chance at HB if Fred had been here for a couple years and gotten himself established, but not sure if it would've been enough to overcome the MJ connection at UNC.
Why is this MJ connection thing getting traction? I guess if I was a RB recruit in HS I would want to play for Georgia because Herschel Walker was neat? MJ has nothing to do with the UNC program anymore. The days of Dean Smith have been over for awhile. The program is strong, and Roy Williams is the best Midwest recruiter around. That is how he ended up there.