KGYM Cedar Rapids

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
Anyone in CR hear this guy Brent Staab doing the morning updates? The guy can't even talk. I swear he must average a MAJOR blunder every 30 seconds he's on the air and he's been there several years. I would think that one of the requirements of working in radio would be that you could talk, but I guess not.

This morning he announced our WBB score as 86-57...in overtime.

Uh, first off, wrong score. Second, I kind of doubt you'd see a 29 point margin of victory in an OT game.

Reactions: cyfanatic

drmwevr08

Nov 25, 2006
Tempe, az
I always thought the producer who did the news during Deace way back was a goof. He didnt muf it that often but he spoke with such a stilt and pregnant pauses to make sure he didnt foul it up that it kinda drove me nuts. I'm sure hes probably still on somewhere (KXNO still?) Cory Kuhn or something.

While we are talking about people that shouldnt be talking for a living - Chris Mullen anyone? wow hes kinda hard to watch on ESPN.

Reactions: cyfanatic

Becker

Nov 10, 2006
Cedar Rapids
Brent is a friend of mine and I think he does a good job. He has his moments, but overall I think he is great on the AM afternoon show (gym class). Being a diehard Hawkeye fan that he is, I think he is usually fair to ISU and will actually find faults in the Hawks. Like you said ruxCYtable, he's been there for several years. I don't think he would've made it that long if he wasn't doing something right.

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
I don't mind that Brent is a Hawk fan and the fact that he can be critical of the Hawks is of no consequence to me. He rarely if ever says positive things about Iowa State. Not that different from a lot of Hawk fans but the fact that the station he works for carries Iowa State on-air, I would think that should bother many Iowa State fans. His role on the afternoon show is to be the d-bag...he does a good job of it. Unash is a very nice person and Dukes is a calm and relaxed personality, Staab has to say things that are obnoxious. He does it well.

UNIGuy4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2009
I don't mind that Brent is a Hawk fan and the fact that he can be critical of the Hawks is of no consequence to me. He rarely if ever says positive things about Iowa State. Not that different from a lot of Hawk fans but the fact that the station he works for carries Iowa State on-air, I would think that should bother many Iowa State fans. His role on the afternoon show is to be the d-bag...he does a good job of it. Unash is a very nice person and Dukes is a calm and relaxed personality, Staab has to say things that are obnoxious. He does it well.
I used to live in CR, is Brent the one that does or used to do the afternoon program with Scott Unash and Mark Dukes?

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
Brent is a good guy but he screws up the morning update ALL OF THE TIME. It must be hard because it's like clockwork. He's OK live on their afternoon show(Gym Class). He's a Hawk but with a good sense of humor and respectful to the Clones but he butchers the updates as if it's a job requirement.

He may have a Ron Burgundy fetish.

Last edited:

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
Brent is a friend of mine and I think he does a good job. He has his moments, but overall I think he is great on the AM afternoon show (gym class). Being a diehard Hawkeye fan that he is, I think he is usually fair to ISU and will actually find faults in the Hawks. Like you said ruxCYtable, he's been there for several years. I don't think he would've made it that long if he wasn't doing something right.
Becker, I respect your opinion but I'm going to disagree with you, and pretty strongly. He does NOT do a good job. Constant team name/score flubs, mis-pronouncing names of people and schools. Honestly, as I said before, I've listened to him and been listening for a specific high school score and after the update been unsure of who won. He either gave the score backwards or gave it two different ways during the update or, as he did this morning with the ISU WBB score, gave it SO wrong that I had no confidence that he had even told me the correct winner of the game. He must be really good friends with Unash because if he did not have a good relationship with his boss, he would not have a job.

I've met Brent, he IS a very nice guy and so is Unash. Unfortunately, the fact that he is nice guy does not, from my perspective, excuse his consistently poor performance on air.

And this has nothing to do with his performance but his bio states that he attended Mt. Mercy and,"...love my Hawkeyes, win or lose." Certainly that is his right but from a Cyclone fan perspective he is just another front-running, bandwagon-jumping Hawk fan.

wartknight

Mar 24, 2006
Fulltime radio guys at small stations don't get paid very much at all. These guys do it because they love it. I had several offers to work radio (and it ends up being much more than 40 hrs/week) When I got out of college in '03 and the BEST salary offer was 19,500. Several were in the 15-ish range.
I don't criticize guys that do it too much, because I would love to (still do some part time), but I don't love radio THAT much to not support my family.

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
Fulltime radio guys at small stations don't get paid very much at all. These guys do it because they love it. I had several offers to work radio (and it ends up being much more than 40 hrs/week) When I got out of college in '03 and the BEST salary offer was 19,500. Several were in the 15-ish range.
I don't criticize guys that do it too much, because I would love to (still do some part time), but I don't love radio THAT much to not support my family.
I started out at ISU as a journalism major and wanted to go into broadcasting. Pete Taylor was kind enough to meet with me in his office one day for a career chat. He said I wouldn't change what I did or went through to get where I am, but I'm going to tell you honestly that IF you are fortunate enough to make it in broadcasting, you are going to work a minimum of 10 years at starvation wages and the hours are endless. If you are OK with that up front, go for it. If not, think long and hard about whether this is really what you want to do.

I thought about it for about the length of time it took me to walk home, then I changed my major.

Becker

Nov 10, 2006
Cedar Rapids
Becker, I respect your opinion but I'm going to disagree with you, and pretty strongly. He does NOT do a good job. Constant team name/score flubs, mis-pronouncing names of people and schools. Honestly, as I said before, I've listened to him and been listening for a specific high school score and after the update been unsure of who won. He either gave the score backwards or gave it two different ways during the update or, as he did this morning with the ISU WBB score, gave it SO wrong that I had no confidence that he had even told me the correct winner of the game. He must be really good friends with Unash because if he did not have a good relationship with his boss, he would not have a job.

I've met Brent, he IS a very nice guy and so is Unash. Unfortunately, the fact that he is nice guy does not, from my perspective, excuse his consistently poor performance on air.

And this has nothing to do with his performance but his bio states that he attended Mt. Mercy and,"...love my Hawkeyes, win or lose." Certainly that is his right but from a Cyclone fan perspective he is just another front-running, bandwagon-jumping Hawk fan.

just another front-running, bandwagon-jumping Hawk fan - Sure he is. But so is 95% of CR. I was just trying to say that he is usually pretty partial to ISU and doesn't always give the Hawks more credit than they deserve.

He must be really good friends with Unash because if he did not have a good relationship with his boss, he would not have a job. - Not sure that this is fair. 1: How the heck would you know? 2:Brent does a lot of other stuff on the radio that isn't involved with Unash (Listen to 102.9 in the mornings? He goes by Waterboy.

I also respect that this is your opinion and it makes for a nice Thursday disagreement. Not every personality is going to be loved (I've heard that some Matt guy isn't loved in the DSM area), but I don't think he should be called out to say he shouldn't have a job.

wartknight

Mar 24, 2006
I started out at ISU as a journalism major and wanted to go into broadcasting. Pete Taylor was kind enough to meet with me in his office one day for a career chat. He said I wouldn't change what I did or went through to get where I am, but I'm going to tell you honestly that IF you are fortunate enough to make it in broadcasting, you are going to work a minimum of 10 years at starvation wages and the hours are endless. If you are OK with that up front, go for it. If not, think long and hard about whether this is really what you want to do.

I thought about it for about the length of time it took me to walk home, then I changed my major.

Even with all the people telling me about how little money was in it, I still went through getting my degree in electronic media. Funny how getting married talking about starting a family will change your perspective :wideeyed:

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
just another front-running, bandwagon-jumping Hawk fan - Sure he is. But so is 95% of CR. I was just trying to say that he is usually pretty partial to ISU and doesn't always give the Hawks more credit than they deserve.

He must be really good friends with Unash because if he did not have a good relationship with his boss, he would not have a job. - Not sure that this is fair. 1: How the heck would you know? 2:Brent does a lot of other stuff on the radio that isn't involved with Unash (Listen to 102.9 in the mornings? He goes by Waterboy.

I also respect that this is your opinion and it makes for a nice Thursday disagreement. Not every personality is going to be loved (I've heard that some Matt guy isn't loved in the DSM area), but I don't think he should be called out to say he shouldn't have a job.
Becker, it has nothing to do with his personality and whether he is loved or not. I don't listen to the Gym Class so I don't even know what his personality is like on that show. All I can tell you is that on the morning drive he has a job in which he is supposed to be able to be articulate and communicate information. He fails miserably at that task. If you can't do the one thing you need to be able to do to do your job then, yes, you should not have that job. And I would say that about myself as quickly as I would say it about another person. Maybe he is great as the Waterboy. Maybe he is great on Gym Class. On the morning drive he is horrible and I don't think I am overstating.

JBone84

Nov 30, 2006
Rochester, MN
Dude is awful in the morning trying to read the news - screws up and stutters constantly. The Gym Class show is terrible in the afternoon and is an instant "station switcher".

Also, why do they have Dan Patrick's morning show on in the afternoon? I enjoy the DP Show but wish a radio station in CR would carry it in the morning.

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Dude is awful in the morning trying to read the news - screws up and stutters constantly. The Gym Class show is terrible in the afternoon and is an instant "station switcher".

Also, why do they have Dan Patrick's morning show on in the afternoon? I enjoy the DP Show but wish a radio station in CR would carry it in the morning.

KGYM does a great job promoting local high school athletics and the "Gym Class" is a part of that most of the time. I agree about the DP show in the afternoon...too often a topic discussed on the DP show is outdated by the time KGYM airs the show.

I wish they would take Cowherd off the lineup...put DP in that slot or Rome! I have to listen to 1650 out of Cedar Falls to hear Rome.

shawn_200m

Apr 10, 2006
Tipton, IA
I agree he is a train-wreck doing the morning updates. One time last spring he was giving results from the state track meet and said that someone won the 800 meter dash with a time of 2 hours 2 minutes and 15 seconds... and never corrected himself.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron