#40 for Chris Street

Naughtius

Oct 27, 2010
Central IA
Has Iowa kept the #40 tradition intact? I don't make a point to watch a lot of Hawkeye basketball, but I remember a while ago (maybe 10 years) I watched a game and looked for that jersey, but never saw it. For all I know the kid was hurt or something.
However, if they're not doing it, not sure we should either.
Regarding Pearson, I'm conflicted. I never new him but I've met his folks. Great people. Having said that, he was out of school when he passed on. I'm not saying he isn't deserving, but where do you draw the line?

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
It just seems that a tradition isn't something that goes away after a few years. I'm sure there are a ton of traditions at schools all around the country that the athletes have no knowledge of the origin.

That's my thinking as well... Traditions don't run a course...

batch40oz

Jan 20, 2010
Growing up in a Hawkeye household as a child (both my parents graduated from University of Iowa). Chris Street was my hero as a kid, he played basketball just like I did all effort, he had way more talent than me, but I watched him more intently than any other player. I wore #40 for all sports in High School at Sioux City West in honor of Chris Street and the impact he had on me as a kid. I wish this tradition would be brought back and continued. I have BATCH40 to this day on my Cyclone License Plates of my vehicle, and I use Batch40 or Batch40oz for email addresses and internet handles. I still own one piece of Iowa memorabilia my Chris Street Poster...over time his memory will deminish but for me its stuck for life. I love my Cyclones w/ such passion today because Chris made me love sports. Play hard at all you do and don't forget your heros! I changed my allegiance to Iowa State when I enrolled and graduated from I-State, and I will never go back to Iowa, but I still watch the black and gold from afar and hope they continue to make the state of Iowa proud on a national scale cause in the end we are all Iowans in some way shape or form. When its head to head, I want us to bury them. Go Cyclones and never forget your roots!

khaal53

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
The main reason the Chris Street "tradition" was started, though, was because Hoiberg, Wheat, & Meyer were all Iowa guys and Wheat and Hoiberg would've played against him in high school. They had their own personal connection. I'm okay with that one running it's course.

I would however be in favor of making a more concerted effort to have an Iowa walk-on wear #3 in honor of Brian Pearson. It's difficult if there isn't one on the roster that fits the mold, but it would be nice if it worked out.

twistedredbird

Apr 26, 2008
Midwest
The main reason the Chris Street "tradition" was started, though, was because Hoiberg, Wheat, & Meyer were all Iowa guys and Wheat and Hoiberg would've played against him in high school. They had their own personal connection. I'm okay with that one running it's course.

This. If he was an ISU player, then it would be different.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron