WFA, Band, Cheerleaders = Bad

cygrads

Jul 27, 2007
Altoona, IA
After being at the game a few thoughts:

• Wells Fargo Arena sucks - no stats on the scoreboard anywhere - the whole game I kept looking around for who has how many fouls, points whatever all the video boards they have and no stats. Also, seats were expensive.
  • The cheerleaders did nothing. They came out on the floor once the whole game - It seemed like a CU home game, their cheerleaders were out there more and were much more active during the game.
  • The CU pep band was better - they played more and were louder.
  • Lastly the ISU fans were very quite all game. My wife and I cheered all game and a couple of women behind us helped out but everyone around us would not join in or anything - I don't get why our fans don't get into the game and cheer. At one point I said I can't believe it we must be at the opera.
I hope we never play at WFA ever again.

hursts

Apr 10, 2006
What game were you at? I was at the game also and the ISU fans were definitely not quiet. It got loud in there!

GMackey32

TJ's spy team member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2009
Ames Via Cedar Falls

• Wells Fargo Arena sucks - no stats on the scoreboard anywhere - the whole game I kept looking around for who has how many fouls, points whatever all the video boards they have and no stats. Also, seats were expensive.
  • The cheerleaders did nothing. They came out on the floor once the whole game - It seemed like a CU home game, their cheerleaders were out there more and were much more active during the game.
    [*]The CU pep band was better - they played more and were louder.
  • Lastly the ISU fans were very quite all game. My wife and I cheered all game and a couple of women behind us helped out but everyone around us would not join in or anything - I don't get why our fans don't get into the game and cheer. At one point I said I can't believe it we must be at the opera.

You mean when they decided to play their fight song after we starting playing ours, to try to drown out our fight song?

mdclone

Nov 9, 2006
Iowa

What the hell are you smoking, their band sucked. You're right about them playing more and the drums were louder but that doesn't make them better. When they did play our band was light years better.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
What game were you at? The fans were great, the band was good and the CU cheerleaders looked like they were still in high school.

H

HGPuck

I wonder where you were sitting...some of the best atmosphere I have heard at an ISU game in awhile. Our band outclassed theirs by quite a margin. I can agree on the lack of stats.

agrabes

Oct 25, 2006

Funny, I thought just the opposite. From my seat the ISU band was louder and played with a cleaner, fuller sound. They also played music that was better and/or better arranged (seriously, CU's arrangement of The Hey Song was terrible). You could see a clear difference between a BCS conference band and a midmajor band in my opinion.

As far as the other points, especially the ISU fans being quiet I somewhat agree with. I was up in the very highest row thanks to my "smart" decision of buying tickets on the day of, but there weren't a lot of people yelling and making noise up there until the end of the game. I thought it was decent though, but could have been better.

jahfg

Apr 19, 2006
Ames
ISU band>>>>>>>>>>>>>Creighton band

They were all drums.

It was loud, especially in the second half.

WFA usually has stats on the board. I'm not sure why they didn't today, but it definitely did suck.

jj-cyclones

Dec 26, 2007
Ames

This is the only part I agree with. THE SEATS WERE EXPENSIVE???? ARE YOU KIDDING ME???

And the fans were def not quiet, that was the loudest ISU game I have been at in a while, I hope we get Hilton rockin' like that soon!

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
If Wells Fargo is so bad, next time ISU plays there, dont attend the game cygrads.

Its a typical arena thats built for NBA style basketball, and I think its a great arena to see a basketball game. I've been to several Ia Energy games and I enjoyed the arena and the D-League basketball. Curtis Stinson is still worth the price of admission!!!!

Congrats and Great Game, Coach Hoiberg and Cyclone Basketballers!!!!

Alswelk

Slightly Radioactive
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 5, 2006
Albuquerque, NM
The Creighton band was using field percussion which is louder than the drumset we were using because it's meant to be played for marching band. They were louder there, and they did have one trombone player that seemed to know what he was doing, but their melody instruments (read: trumpets) were practically inaudible. I know for a fact we were putting out more high and mid-brass sound than they were.

cyman1189

Aug 11, 2008
Akron, OH
I thought the cheerleaders did as good as they could do... they dont decide when they go on the court or not. I personally thought Cy did a heck of a job :psmile:....

sooooo good job for being negative on a positive day?

istater7

Mar 31, 2010
john walters said numerous times "LISTEN TO THIS CROWD" after a big ISU play. heck, i could feel the energy after jake's three and i was sitting at my computer. im not sure if you went to the right game..

cygrads

Jul 27, 2007
Altoona, IA
Funny, I thought just the opposite. From my seat the ISU band was louder and played with a cleaner, fuller sound. They also played music that was better and/or better arranged (seriously, CU's arrangement of The Hey Song was terrible). You could see a clear difference between a BCS conference band and a midmajor band in my opinion.

As far as the other points, especially the ISU fans being quiet I somewhat agree with. I was up in the very highest row thanks to my "smart" decision of buying tickets on the day of, but there weren't a lot of people yelling and making noise up there until the end of the game. I thought it was decent though, but could have been better.

Our seats were on the east side upper deck (5 rows from top mid court) and that whole area rarely got to their feet and yes it was loud at the end - if we would have been that loud during CU's free throws maybe they would have missed some. I think some people are so in love with the thought of getting the magic back they will accept a weak substitute.

mdclone

Nov 9, 2006
Iowa
I do agree that WFA isn't nearly as good as Hilton, but this was a good deal for ISU. By playing that game at WFA we got to count all three games as an exempt tournament so they only counted as 1 home game against us.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA

yes that did suck

meh, who cares about the cheerleaders. I was watching the game.

that will happen when your tickets are right next to them.

I will admit they couldnt have been more into the game toward the end rather than getting up for a play or two then getting back down after a CU score/time out, but a majority of the sections were in it all second half. Maybe not as loud as it has been in the Hilton Magic era, but that was lightyears ahead of what we have seen the last 6-7 years.

Only complain I really had was the circular screen on the scoreboard needs to rotate right to left, rather than left to right. It makes you read things right to left which isn't natural.

TrueAndValiant

Sep 7, 2009
The CU Band had 5 flutes and 2 trombones. It seemed like they had no idea what instruments you need for a pep band to sound impressive.

cyfreddy

Oct 15, 2006
[/QUOTE]
Wells Fargo Arena sucks - no stats on the scoreboard anywhere - the whole game I kept looking around for who has how many fouls, points whatever all the video boards they have and no stats.

I agree, it was terrible not knowing the stat's. You would think with the Energy playing at Well, they would have had this taken care of.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron