Thought about the series ending

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

CYphyllis

Jun 22, 2010
I may have missed it, but don't think I have seen a clone fan that understands how the Big Ten could force the issue...like it or not.

It takes seven home games to sustain the budget.

In a nine game conference schedule with five Big Ten home games...we could play ISU at the jack and two cream puffs at home. With a four Big Ten home game schedule, we would need all three non-conference games to be at home.

If the Big Ten would give us a consistent rotation of 4...5...4...5...we could probably make the home/home rivalry with the clones work. The problem is that that will not happen. We may go something like 5...4...4...5, in which case in that third year the AD would lose the revenue of a whole game. Cannot do that.

So to keep the rivalry going the game would have to potentially be played in IC more than ames, or isu would have to be flexible with the Big Ten schedule.

Neither of those is fair to ask of isu, so the decision comes down to ending the rivalry.

* I could be way off base but that is the way I understand it.

That will never happen.

LoewDog

Sep 7, 2010
but when a non-informed idiot proclaims Iowa as the greatest thing on Earth, it gets a bit tiring.

I'm pretty sure those of us who are good Iowa fans would agree with that sentiment 100%. They are idiots and they make everyone look bad.

I have seen a couple of these types of clone fans (more Iowa fans though) and I cannot imagine the good clone fans like them either.

Both remind me of the guys who drove by my sons football practice last night and had to yell "you guys suck" to a bunch of 6th graders.

CYphyllis

Jun 22, 2010
Hence the next line Phyllis...

Neither of those is fair to ask of isu, so the decision comes down to ending the rivalry.

Iowa isn't the only team expanding to a nine game schedule, yet from what I've seen and read, the idea of removing the game is mainly (not entirely) on the Iowa side.

IowaSTATCyclone

Dec 4, 2009
I may have missed it, but don't think I have seen a clone fan that understands how the Big Ten could force the issue...like it or not.

It takes seven home games to sustain the budget.

In a nine game conference schedule with five Big Ten home games...we could play ISU at the jack and two cream puffs at home. With a four Big Ten home game schedule, we would need all three non-conference games to be at home.

If the Big Ten would give us a consistent rotation of 4...5...4...5...we could probably make the home/home rivalry with the clones work. The problem is that that will not happen. We may go something like 5...4...4...5, in which case in that third year the AD would lose the revenue of a whole game. Cannot do that.

So to keep the rivalry going the game would have to potentially be played in IC more than ames, or isu would have to be flexible with the Big Ten schedule.

* I could be way off base but that is the way I understand it.

I think you understand this one potential outcome well, but you are missing something: because of proximity and affinity and history, ISU and Iowa City can and might work out a different financial arrangement than the standard contract. In other words, a game in Ames can be "declared" a home game for Iowa City, or vice versa, for revenue purposes on an occasional year. Or they could develop a true neutral revenue split, or what-have-you. Heck, they can get the legislature involved if they really want the game.

On the other hand, if Iowa doesn't want the game for some reason, and ISU is just as happy facing off with the easier Gophers or old enemy Nebraska in the non-conference as well, I'm sure that could be arranged.

But MOST importantly, the Big Ten isn't operating in a vacuum. All the conferences are shifting, which may make the pool of "decent" non-conference teams available to anyone a lot, lot smaller. In that case, Iowa may end up fighting tooth and nail for the ISU game, so they don't end up with one or two non-bowl qualifying non-conference games: a distinct possibility if the leagues develop stringent "home defense" policies for non-conference games.

Cyrocks

Mar 12, 2009
Just curious. When Missouri decided not to honor its series with Iowa because it wasn't in THEIR best interest to play Iowa, how did Iowa fans react?

LoewDog

Sep 7, 2010
Iowa isn't the only team expanding to a nine game schedule, yet from what I've seen and read, the idea of removing the game is mainly (not entirely) on the Iowa side.

The Big Ten has a nine game schedule ready for 2014, or something like that...and once/should the Big 12 expands isu will be looking at the same thing.

Because Iowa will get there first, they will look like the bad guys...realizing isu will be there eventually makes it inevitable.

I could very well be wrong...help me if the premise is flawed.

Redhawk94

Jun 30, 2010
I think you understand this one potential outcome well, but you are missing something: because of proximity and affinity and history, ISU and Iowa City can and might work out a different financial arrangement than the standard contract. In other words, a game in Ames can be "declared" a home game for Iowa City, or vice versa, for revenue purposes on an occasional year. Or they could develop a true neutral revenue split, or what-have-you. Heck, they can get the legislature involved if they really want the game.

Would never happen. Can't even believe it was suggested. Iowa will never give up a home game at Kinnick to have it count as a home game at Jack Trice. I don't think ISU fans would want that scenario either.

IowaSTATCyclone

Dec 4, 2009
Just curious. When Missouri decided not to honor its series with Iowa because it wasn't in THEIR best interest to play Iowa, how did Iowa fans react?

Oh they squawked like someone had stolen their El Camino, but secretly they were totally relieved. Haven't you figured out by now that they cover their abject fear of playing Big 12 schools with a thin sheen of indifference and dismissiveness?:wink:

LoewDog

Sep 7, 2010

I think most fans were ****** as it was announce the summer before it was to happen...and it was entirely a decision made by Mizzu.

That being said, this is a decision that will be greatly influenced by the Big Ten and the out come will be known well out in front of any game being lost.

You cannot expect the Iowa AD to lose revenue from a home game just to keep the rivalry alive...no university is going to do that.

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
I think most fans were ****** as it was announce the summer before it was to happen...and it was entirely a decision made by Mizzu.

That being said, this is a decision that will be greatly influenced by the Big Ten and the out come will be known well out in front of any game being lost.

You cannot expect the Iowa AD to lose revenue from a home game just to keep the rivalry alive...no university is going to do that.

How are they "losing revenue"? Again, that contract is toast after tomorrow, IIRC.

CTAClone

Addict
Mar 28, 2006
Amerika
If you guys wanna be the best team in the state prove it year in and year out. You have no reason going to BCS bowls if you can't get past us. Put up or shut up!! If series is canceled it's because you are afraid of us and keep complaining that you have to "play the clones". Wow the ego of some of you blows my freakin mind.

IowaSTATCyclone

Dec 4, 2009
Would never happen. Can't even believe it was suggested. Iowa will never give up a home game at Kinnick to have it count as a home game at Jack Trice. I don't think ISU fans would want that scenario either.

It could and it has, your lack of faith notwithstanding. Occasionally splittling The Big Game in a new way would be mutually beneficial to both schools IF the alternative is a charity payout to a cupcake school, esp. if one isn't a bowl-qualifying game. K-State got burned badly last year by scheduling two FCS schools, and Iowa would amputate a limb before they embarrassed themselves with that situation. IF that situation is the alternative, I guarantee you they'd work something out.

So start believing.

Redhawk94

Jun 30, 2010

Iowa fans were ****** because they left Iowa without an opponent, which they they had to try and schedule at the last second. Big difference between not honoring your commitment and playing the contract out and then end the series.

Redhawk94

Jun 30, 2010
It could and it has, your lack of faith notwithstanding. Occasionally splittling The Big Game in a new way would be mutually beneficial to both schools IF the alternative is a charity payout to a cupcake school, esp. if one isn't a bowl-qualifying game. K-State got burned badly last year by scheduling two FCS schools, and Iowa would amputate a limb before they embarrassed themselves with that situation. IF that situation is the alternative, I guarantee you they'd work something out.

So start believing.

Any Iowa AD that ever agreed to that would be run out of town so fast it wouldn't even be funny. I don't think ISU would like it either. Will never happen, so won't have to worry about it.

Redhawk94

Jun 30, 2010
How are they "losing revenue"? Again, that contract is toast after tomorrow, IIRC.

He's saying that Iowa would lose revenue by not having a 7th home game. Iowa will always try to do their best to keep 7 home games at a minimum.

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
He's saying that Iowa would lose revenue by not having a 7th home game. Iowa will always try to do their best to keep 7 home games at a minimum.

Ok - not the way I read it, but that's fine.

So in your opinion, who are they filling that ISU void with? Cause you're likely not getting any other BCS opponent without being a home and home.

Redhawk94

Jun 30, 2010
Ok - not the way I read it, but that's fine.

So in your opinion, who are they filling that ISU void with? Cause you're likely not getting any other BCS opponent without being a home and home.

I'm not saying I want the ISU series to end. I'm just saying that it may be a forced possibility. Right now I think Iowa likes the current setup of opening up with a rent a win, playing ISU (home and home), then playing another decent BCS conference team (home and home) and then another rent a win.

If Iowa goes to a three game non conference schedule then they would probably like to have two rent a wins and another decent BCS conference team and ISU certainly fits that bill. But I also think they would rather not be locked in to playing the same decent BCS conference team every year like they would be with ISU. That is why I think the ISU/Iowa game could go from being played every year to not playing or somewhere in between where ISU/Iowa would play every other year or something like that.

Cyrocks

Mar 12, 2009
Iowa fans were ****** because they left Iowa without an opponent, which they they had to try and schedule at the last second. Big difference between not honoring your commitment and playing the contract out and then end the series.

I know that Mizzou backed out before the series even started, and Iowa's AD should have been upset. Fans shouldn't have been because they weren't the ones who had to reschedule the games and find a new opponent.

However, Mizzou officials did what they thought would be best for THEIR program, not what was best for Iowa's program.

Believe me, I am no Mizzou fan. But some Iowa fans can't understand why ISU fans can't see their point that backing out the ISU-Iowa series would be best for their program, or that it doesn't benefit them playing the game. To me, that is a little hypocritical.

I agree backing out at the last minute was a punkass move.

IowaSTATCyclone

Dec 4, 2009
Any Iowa AD that ever agreed to that would be run out of town so fast it wouldn't even be funny. I don't think ISU would like it either. Will never happen, so won't have to worry about it.

You obviously haven't seen the revenue agreement for the Red River Shootout.

My point isn't that they'd necessarily swap designations. My point is that they can structure the contract so that it works for both teams, given poor alternatives. Again, if Iowa can schedule a non-charity game in its place, it might choose to do so. My argument is that Iowa is unlikely to cancel the ISU game if it must be replaced with a greater revenue liability.

And the next AD that gets run out of town from a university in this state will be the first. This issue certainly wouldn't be the catalyst.

I recommend Midol.:wink: