Keeler on How the Rivalry Game Got Renewed

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I will never understand why so many on here believe that a columnist for a newspaper should double as the beat writer for Iowa State athletics.

I don't think anyone complaining on this board feels that he should be a beat writer for any of the state's athletic programs. The fact that he is writing for a Hawkeye publication is part of what people find offensive. He's writing for a Hawkeye mouthpiece and we are supposed to not call him a Hawkeye hack? How is that the least bit objective?

My issue isn't with the piece, it's with the location.

LoewDog

Sep 7, 2010
Can your team winning help make a bad day better? I would say that is true any fan.

Clone student fails a test Friday...feels like crap. Clones beat Hawks Saturday...clone student feels better. Replace clone with any fan base and I would think the above would be true.

Random fan loses his job...is in despair. Random fan's team (college or pro) wins over the weekend...random fan feels better.

I don't think in either case the person is replacing their failure or shortcoming...I think people who get into unfortunate situations can find a little positive in life when their team wins though.

DodgerHawki

Apr 1, 2009
You are right on the 80s part...

^^^^This

I think the Rivalry in the 80's solidified the Hawks with Hayden Fry. 15 straight wins gave the cyclones no fight in in-state recruiting. Without the instate rivalry I don't think Iowa is nearly as good as they are now. I'm just amazed at how many Hawk fans are scared of playing us.

but it wasn't the wins over Iowa State that swung Iowans toward being Iowa fans. It was a part, but not the sole factor. Multiple wins over Michigan and OSU that decade, going to a Rose Bowl, winning two Big 10 titles endeared Iowans to Fry and Iowa more than just beating Iowa State. And note that Iowa won a conference title and went to a Rose Bowl in 1981, a year in which Iowa State beat Iowa. My point is that Iowa endeared itself to fans around the state by success other than by beating bad ISU teams during that time period.

It also coincided with a time where more games were put on television. Numerous people who had never been to a game in Kinnick (nor to one since) saw some Iowa games on TV, and saw Iowa play in and win (as well as lose) some very big games during that decade (81 and 85 Rose Bowls, the Peach Bowl against Tennessee with Willie Gault and Reggie White, Freedom Bowl, Holiday Bowls, the 85 game against Michigan, No. 1 vs No. 2.) It wasn't until 83 that Iowa started the 15-year run, and while that helped certainly make Iowa the "favorite" of the state, whatever that means, it wasn't the only factor.

ISU's descent into the abyss starting in 1983 meant that the Cyclones were not part of the explosion in college FB with games being televised, highlights on cable networks, going to the ever-increasing slate of bowl games, etc. The same thing has essentially happened to the Iowa basketball program over the last decade+. Iowa has basically lost an entire generation of basketball fans who have ZERO memories of Iowa being relevant in basketball. If you are under age 25, Iowa hasn't been going to Sweet 16's or even an afterthought on a national scale in the time period that you can remember.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
Re: You are right on the 80s part...

but it wasn't the wins over Iowa State that swung Iowans toward being Iowa fans. It was a part, but not the sole factor. Multiple wins over Michigan and OSU that decade, going to a Rose Bowl, winning two Big 10 titles endeared Iowans to Fry and Iowa more than just beating Iowa State. And note that Iowa won a conference title and went to a Rose Bowl in 1981, a year in which Iowa State beat Iowa. My point is that Iowa endeared itself to fans around the state by success other than by beating bad ISU teams during that time period.

It also coincided with a time where more games were put on television. Numerous people who had never been to a game in Kinnick (nor to one since) saw some Iowa games on TV, and saw Iowa play in and win (as well as lose) some very big games during that decade (81 and 85 Rose Bowls, the Peach Bowl against Tennessee with Willie Gault and Reggie White, Freedom Bowl, Holiday Bowls, the 85 game against Michigan, No. 1 vs No. 2.) It wasn't until 83 that Iowa started the 15-year run, and while that helped certainly make Iowa the "favorite" of the state, whatever that means, it wasn't the only factor.

ISU's descent into the abyss starting in 1983 meant that the Cyclones were not part of the explosion in college FB with games being televised, highlights on cable networks, going to the ever-increasing slate of bowl games, etc. The same thing has essentially happened to the Iowa basketball program over the last decade+. Iowa has basically lost an entire generation of basketball fans who have ZERO memories of Iowa being relevant in basketball. If you are under age 25, Iowa hasn't been going to Sweet 16's or even an afterthought on a national scale in the time period that you can remember.

Don't forget to mention the farm crisis. Everybody in Iowa was on the Hawkeye's bandwagon as a distraction from the horrible economy.

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
What were the enrollments over the years? I'd think that might have something to do with the fanbase size. I agree with Dodger that the explosion of tv had alot to do with allegiances.

I also think that the larger populations in a number of cites in eastern Iowa (Dubuque, Waterloo, Cedar Rapids, Davenport and IC itself) and the proximity of u of i is a large factor. Ames does have that, save Des Moines - which you can only hope to have at best a split fan base. Not to mention, IC was more of a destination. And particularly back then, Ames was near impossible to get to from other areas of the state. Heck, it was pretty much county roads and 2 lane st highways when I was in school in the early 90's.

LoewDog

Sep 7, 2010
I never made the connection with the farm crisis since I was young back then, but it makes a lot of sense.

DodgerHawki

Apr 1, 2009
If you actually believe this...

It's because Iowa fans replace their own failures and shortcomings with Hawkeye success more than any other fan base out there. They believe that because they choose to cheer for the Hawkeyes, it makes them a better person.

then I feel sorry for you. Good grief. Some people like to cheer for Iowa. Some like to cheer for Iowa State. Some cheer for both schools. It doesn't mean there is any deep-rooted issues with them.

Darn it, I'm a good person. Must be because I like the Hawkeyes.

CTAClone

Addict
Mar 28, 2006
Amerika
Re: You are right on the 80s part...

I agree with your post. But Iowa has been solidified as the #1 (gag) football school in the state because of the rivalry and that 15 year run. You guys got every recruit in the state of Iowa, making you guys a powerhouse on both lines. Which has also lead to national success. No Rivalry -- I think recruits don't all automatically go to Iowa. Look whats happened in the recent years, Iowa State is competitive again and recruits don't automatically go to Iowa. The only way for you guys to have dominance in the state is to continue playing and dominating the Clones, otherwise you guys are going to lose out on a major factor of your success. Losing the rivalry, you will lose recruits. Who wants to play for a team that is scared to play the "little brother" of the state?

CyLoboClone

Oct 15, 2009
Albuquerque
Say what you want about Iowa but Nebraska will be their rival. NU's fans are pumped for it. We would be the ones with no rival which I am fine with. Give us some noncon patsies and have us start winning and we'll start developing some natural rivalries.

Our records against Nebraska and Oklahoma are so bad that I wouldn't mind dropping them so the announcers don't mention them to the audience ever again

RustyTrombone

Sep 10, 2010
Iowa may not get ALL the instate recruits...but can you name 5 in the last 5 years that ISU beat iowa out for...the recruits Iowa wants ..Iowa gets over ISU....why????

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
Iowa may not get ALL the instate recruits...but can you name 5 in the last 5 years that ISU beat iowa out for...the recruits Iowa wants ..Iowa gets over ISU....why????

Because any recruit that Iowa hasn't got ... "they never really wanted anyway"?

RustyTrombone

Sep 10, 2010
Because any recruit that Iowa hasn't got ... "they never really wanted"?

Ding ding ding...EXACTLY.....because the only people that see Isu football as "SIGNICANT" are ISU fans.....See the Big 12 breakup this summer.....nobody wanted ISU......

Iowa is Leaps and bounds ahead as a program.....The one good thing that happened to ISU football....Dan Mccarney....is gone...even then Isu was mediocre at best..but from the ashes he dug you out.
So what does it benefit the Iowa program to continue this rivalry...none to the iowa program,,,,,,only to fans..Iowa would do better to replace it with an SEC team..

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
Ding ding ding...EXACTLY.....because the only people that see Isu football as "SIGNICANT" are ISU fans.....See the Big 12 breakup this summer.....nobody wanted ISU......

Iowa is Leaps and bounds ahead as a program.....The one good thing that happened to ISU football....Dan Mccarney....is gone...even then Isu was mediocre at best..but from the ashes he dug you out.
So what does it benefit the Iowa program to continue this rivalry...none to the iowa program,,,,,,only to fans..Iowa would do better to replace it with an SEC team..

Look up ... I think that answer went right over your head.

Edit: Replace ISU with AN SEC TEAM??? I've officially heard it all. One third of the Iowa fan base is reasonable, the other third is afraid that ISU poses too much of a risk than a patsy, with the now "loaded" and duanting Big 10/11/12 schedule before them, and the other - most dillusional third, thinks they should up the challenge and put a SEC team on there. Wow.

Let me know if you see some pigs flying around while looking around for that earlier response.

Last edited:

CTAClone

Addict
Mar 28, 2006
Amerika

Why do you think you'd be able go schedule a SEC team. It would be another IAA team most years and every five years you'd get that great game. If you guys wanna be the best team in the state prove it year in and year out. You have no reason going to BCS bowls if you can't get past us. Put up or shut up!! If series is canceled it's because you are afraid of us. Simple as that.

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
Why do you think you'd be able go schedule a SEC team. It would be another IAA team most years and every five years you'd get that great game. If you guys wanna be the best team in the state prove it year in and year out. You have no reason going to BCS bowls if you can't get past us. Put up or shut up!! If series is canceled it's because you are afraid of us. Simple as that.

n/m CTA.

He'll be back on in a few minutes as logjammin (the resident Husker troll) telling us how nobody respects us.....

cyclonenum1

Nov 30, 2006

RustyTrombone

Sep 10, 2010

Iowa is more concerned with national rankings than state rankings......in 2002 after a loss to Isu we went on to the orange bowl......You guys were the "best team in the state" and went where??? We have finished the season 4 times in the top 10 this decade..how many other teams in the country have done that? i am not trying to diminish ISU..simply point out that there is a HUGE difference in acheivements between the 2 programs..
playing and beating an sec team would garner more exposure to the program..than playing a lower tire big12 school.

LoewDog

Sep 7, 2010
Because any recruit that Iowa hasn't got ... "they never really wanted anyway"?

Who are you getting at Daddy?

In the last three years there has not been a single recruit that Iowa has offered who picked isu.

2009...Iowa offered 8 in-state players and got 7...Barrent went to Mich. St.
2010...Iowa offered 8 in-state players and got 6...Dawson went to UNI and Kohler is playing baseball at Grinnell I think.
2011...Iowa has offered 3 in-state players and has 2 signed. French is not going to isu or Iowa with my guess being Notre Dame.

LoewDog

Sep 7, 2010
Iowa is more concerned with national rankings than state rankings......in 2002 after a loss to Isu we went on to the orange bowl......You guys were the "best team in the state" and went where??? We have finished the season 4 times in the top 10 this decade..how many other teams in the country have done that? i am not trying to diminish ISU..simply point out that there is a HUGE difference in acheivements between the 2 programs..
playing and beating an sec team would garner more exposure to the program..than playing a lower tire big12 school.

Any Hawk fan who wants to replace isu with a high power SEC school is delusional.

I have said before though that I think playing a lower level Big East/ACC/SEC school would do more for Iowa on the media/voting front and the recruiting front. Until isu rises up, we will get most of the recruits from Iowa that we want whether we play this game or not.

And again...I like this game over those reasons. A schedule of 2 cupcakes...isu and a team like Arizona is about right.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron