Keeler on How the Rivalry Game Got Renewed

SenorCy

Aug 29, 2010
C.J.
Iowa fans seem to fear losing more than most fanbases. It seems some Iowa fans would almost rather play in the MAC if they could win every game. The real reason they want to drop the series is because they hate that the "only team in the state" has lost to Iowa State seven out of the last twelve.

hawkeyescott

Jun 13, 2008
take a look at the banners in Hilton, and the time frame most of those are from. No wonder the UofI didn't want their facade of an image damaged with the inevitability of losing continuously to ISU.

-keep

WTF are you talking about? Try reading the article as it is about football and not basketball and Iowa/ISU have played basketball every year since 1970. Does ISU hang banners in Hilton for football and if they do the only banner in there would be for the 1972 Liberty Bowl as there wouldn't be any Big 8 Champions banners because the next bowl game banner that would have been up would be the year they resumed this series so that bowl game wouldn't have taken place yet.

DodgerHawki

Apr 1, 2009
Not sure Iowa "fears losing"...

Iowa fans seem to fear losing more than most fanbases. It seems some Iowa fans would almost rather play in the MAC if they could win every game. The real reason they want to drop the series is because they hate that the "only team in the state" has lost to Iowa State seven out of the last twelve.

more than any other fanbase. Where do you get the idea that we would rather play in the MAC? Hawk fans love the Big 10 and the opportunities it affords us. Our conference affiliation is a huge reason the Iowa program is where it is today.

I'm on record that the series should continue, but I fear it won't with both Iowa and ISU going to 9-game conference schedules.

CyLoboClone

Oct 15, 2009
Albuquerque
At the end of the day, it just feels so GOOD to hate on Keeler!

My issue is that the content is so lacking on the Rag that it seems that those guys hang around for one online chat, maybe a 3 sentence blog, maybe a diet coke and then go home to roll around in their free money, giggling and whatnot.

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
See...it has nothing to do with "now that we are not a patsy the Hawks don't want to play any more." We didn't even want to play you guys when we were down and you were better.

:wink:

Please note: I didn't say anything about us being better (we were for a while there in the 70s. But that's about it)

LoewDog

Sep 7, 2010

I don't know that fear fits, but there are teams out there who like or expect to lose? God I hope neither Iowa or isu ever get to that point.

Careful with the MAC stuff. There were clone fans who called in to the local talk shows and suggested that isu might be better off doing exactly what you said above. A Hawk fan would never think, let alone say on the air, anything even close to that.

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
I don't know that fear fits, but there are teams out there who like or expect to lose? God I hope neither Iowa or isu ever get to that point.

Careful with the MAC stuff. There were clone fans who called in to the local talk shows and suggested that isu might be better off doing exactly what you said above. A Hawk fan would never think, let alone say on the air, anything even close to that.

Where is this?

Kinda doubting that was actually a Clone fan. And if it was - I'm guessing it was same warped angle about the conference reallignment with the intent of getting out from Texas's grip.

I'd never advocate going to a non-bcs. But if the Big 10 ever were to open.. hell yes I want out of the Big XII.

snowcraig2.0

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA
If Iowa and ISU had played every year in the 70's, the percentage of Hak and Clone fans amongst this state's population could very well be reversed. It was a very good move for Iowa not to play ISU.

LoewDog

Sep 7, 2010
Sorry Daddy, I cannot give you any proof on a call in show that I listened to on the way home from work.

I suppose it could have been some DB Hawk fan doing it...but since it was more then one caller over the course of time where it looked like the Big 12 could fold I have to think some felt that way (I'd say 4-5 maybe?). Not painting clones with a broad brush but there were a select few. Just a little counter point to the Hawk/MAC post...which obviously no Big Ten team would ever leave based on how the conference is set up.

I like your honesty about jumping to the Big 10...it will be interesting to see what kind of a response your brother clone fans have to that.

Reactions: DaddyMac

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
Sorry Daddy, I cannot give you any proof on a call in show that I listened to on the way home from work.

I suppose it could have been some DB Hawk fan doing it...but since it was more then one caller over the course of time where it looked like the Big 12 could fold I have to think some felt that way (I'd say 4-5 maybe?). Not painting clones with a broad brush but there were a select few. Just a little counter point to the Hawk/MAC post...which obviously no Big Ten team would ever leave based on how the conference is set up.

I like your honesty about jumping to the Big 10...it will be interesting to see what kind of a response your brother clone fans have to that.

I think most Clone fans would and have stated that a jump to the Big 10 would be great. Sure we'll rip the rival conference, and the arguements will go back and forth about who's better, blah, blah, blah.

But most Clones realize we're very much on the outside looking in when it comes to the power structure - everything is run out of Austin, not Dallas. This spring/summer cemented that little fact. No denying it. There's a reprieve right now for the Big XII, but the future is still much in limbo. And given the $$$ the Big 10 pulls in... well, hell yes. It's a no brainer really. I think most will acknowledge this.

But until that point.... the Big 10 sucks, of course...

FWIW - outside the obvious geographic issues - I think there are plenty who'd advocate heading to ANY BCS conference. Just for security.

NobodyBeatsCy

Apr 17, 2008
Clive, IA
I think most Clone fans would and have stated that a jump to the Big 10 would be great. Sure we'll rip the rival conference, and the arguements will go back and forth about who's better, blah, blah, blah.

But most Clones realize we're very much on the outside looking in when it comes to the power structure - everything is run out of Austin, not Dallas. This spring/summer cemented that little fact. No denying it. There's a reprieve right now for the Big XII, but the future is still much in limbo. And given the $$$ the Big 10 pulls in... well, hell yes. It's a no brainer really. I think most will acknowledge this.

But until that point.... the Big 10 sucks, of course...

FWIW - outside the obvious geographic issues - I think there are plenty who'd advocate heading to ANY BCS conference. Just for security.

Big 10 would be a perfect fit for us, but it isn't worth the time talking about it.

CTAClone

Addict
Mar 28, 2006
Amerika
If Iowa and ISU had played every year in the 70's, the percentage of Hak and Clone fans amongst this state's population could very well be reversed. It was a very good move for Iowa not to play ISU.

^^^^This

I think the Rivalry in the 80's solidified the Hawks with Hayden Fry. 15 straight wins gave the cyclones no fight in in-state recruiting. Without the instate rivalry I don't think Iowa is nearly as good as they are now. I'm just amazed at how many Hawk fans are scared of playing us.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville

True, but I think most of those clone fans were talking more about a team like Utah. I think most of us want this series to continue. I want to continue for not only the schools but for the state. We have one big sporting event each year. This is it. Even casual fans get up for this weekend. It's a fun time.

GeronimusClone

Oct 23, 2008
Des Moines, IA
it is a good article ... I to didn't see the anti-ISU slant on this ... its a truthful story that unfortunately brings in more Iowa references.

-keep
I actually just thought it was funny that the Iowa fans in the 70s were saying the same ******** they do now. Not so much a slam on Keeler, although I do think he's a giant Pud.

logjammin

Sep 10, 2010
Rivalries are usually built on mutual respect..Iowa/Nebraska will be that type of rivalry. the biggest issue with losing to a team like Isu is that nobody has any respect for them and that makes it a painful loss.........

CycloneChris

Jan 28, 2009
Chicago suburbs

It's because Iowa fans replace their own failures and shortcomings with Hawkeye success more than any other fan base out there. They believe that because they choose to cheer for the Hawkeyes, it makes them a better person.

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Wow you guys. I mean, I obviously think Keeler puts out a whole lot of crap (see my avatar), but I am failing to see what in this article makes you so upset. The whole point of the piece is to say, "Hey everyone, aren't we glad that somebody decided to be smart and got us this awesome game to watch every fall?"

I am fully convinced that if Sean Keeler were to run into a burning building and rescue Paul Rhodes, Coach Fred Hoiberg, and Jamie Pollard from certain death that some people on this board would still scream, cry and pout about how he is just a Cyclone-hating Hawkeye.

I will never understand why so many on here believe that a columnist for a newspaper should double as the beat writer for Iowa State athletics.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron