Keeler on How the Rivalry Game Got Renewed

cigaretteman

Nov 8, 2006
Iowa
The Register and the Iowa City Press-Citizen, which publishes Hawk Central, are sister Gannett newspapers. The Register seems to have moved its online Iowa coverage to Hawk Central.

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
The Iowa blunder proved to be a program changer for them... imagine where ISU and Iowa would be if they played 10 years prior to 1978 .... probably not where they are now.

-keep

Last edited:

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008
Iowa blunder proved to be a program changer for them... imagine where ISU and Iowa would be if they played 10 years prior to 1978 .... probably not where they are now.

-keep

Yep. It is funny how hard the U of I fought against having to play Iowa State. If they had their way today the series would be over. They would rather play a directional school then a team that is capable of beating them.

Last edited by a moderator:

keepngoal

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
Yep. It is funny how hard the U of I fought against having to play Iowa State. If they had their way today the series would be over. They would rather play a directional school then a team that is capable of beating them.

take a look at the banners in Hilton, and the time frame most of those are from. No wonder the UofI didn't want their facade of an image damaged with the inevitability of losing continuously to ISU.

-keep

LoewDog

Sep 7, 2010
Reading that, sounds like Iowa fans were just as big of ****** bags then as they are now.

Yet if they had their way, it would be better for some of you because you would not have had to "deal" with us for the last 40 some years!

The rivalry could have ended then, and we could have went on our merry ways without ever having this silly rivalry week.

Of course Reichardt and Evashevski were Hawks who were all for it, much like a majority of Hawk fans are now.

NobodyBeatsCy

Apr 17, 2008
Clive, IA
Yet if they had their way, it would be better for some of you because you would not have had to "deal" with us for the last 40 some years!

The rivalry could have ended then, and we could have went on our merry ways without ever having this silly rivalry week.

Of course Reichardt and Evashevski were Hawks who were all for it, much like a majority of Hawk fans are now.

Somehow I don't buy that. Two BCS schools less than 200 miles away from each other and they never play each other? If it did end back then, I know that the pressure would build and another series would be agreed upon.

SuperCy

Nov 30, 2006
Smallville/Metropolis

Rrrriiiiiiight. Because not playing Iowa would have shut Hawk fans up.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville

Silly Rivalry week? I would like to see you name a reasonably succesful program call their biggest rivalry week silly. That's ridiculous. DO you think Michigan and OSU think it's silly? Do you think OK/Texas think it's silly? I bet they don't. If we stop this series, you will have no rival. You may have Nebraska in the future but I think it would be a stretch to say it is now. There is no reason to think it will be. Minnesota never really became one. You can talk about the last 40 years all you want. I prefer to be a little more recent. In the last 10-15 this has been very competetive. At one point we had won 7 out of 10. Hell it wasn't even a rivalry at that point. Sure you have won 2 in a row but let me know when you win 5 in a row. If the Hawks want to get rid of this because now they will have to play Nebraska every year, that's fine. Go ahead and play your directional school and chalk up a win. Sure, it sucks that the state of Iowa will be left without probably it's biggest sporting event of the year but who cares, right? As long as we can give the Hawks every chance succeed everything is fine.

Reactions: isugcs

sodakjoe

Sep 15, 2006
Ames via Sioux Falls, SD
Wow you guys. I mean, I obviously think Keeler puts out a whole lot of crap (see my avatar), but I am failing to see what in this article makes you so upset. The whole point of the piece is to say, "Hey everyone, aren't we glad that somebody decided to be smart and got us this awesome game to watch every fall?"

NobodyBeatsCy

Apr 17, 2008
Clive, IA
Wow you guys. I mean, I obviously think Keeler puts out a whole lot of crap (see my avatar), but I am failing to see what in this article makes you so upset. The whole point of the piece is to say, "Hey everyone, aren't we glad that somebody decided to be smart and got us this awesome game to watch every fall?"

I actually enjoyed the article. It's nice that Keeler decided to do some factual reporting with very little opinion injected.

keepngoal

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
it is a good article ... I to didn't see the anti-ISU slant on this ... its a truthful story that unfortunately brings in more Iowa references.

-keep

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
I find this priceless

University of Iowa’s Athletic Board of Control didn’t see what the school had to gain by starting it back up again.

This all was happening around 1970. Do you realize how BAD Iowa was in the 60's? Their only winning season was 1960. And didn't have a single winning season through the 70's. Yes - they had a larger stadium. And fans could have entire rows nearly to themselves. Iowa fb was not a hot ticket til the 80's.

I understand some of this arrogance better - it's handed down from generation to generation. :wink:

ISUSwimmer

Sep 9, 2010
Ames
I hate keeler.

I hate the rag or whatever organization that *******bag is working for.

I hate the hoks.

They looked down on us then just like they look down on us now.....I hate them...now I am just repeating myself...see what they do to me....another reason to hate em.

Just my opinion:notworthy:

LoewDog

Sep 7, 2010
I find this priceless

This all was happening around 1970. Do you realize how BAD Iowa was in the 60's? Their only winning season was 1960. And didn't have a single winning season through the 70's. Yes - they had a larger stadium. And fans could have entire rows nearly to themselves. Iowa fb was not a hot ticket til the 80's.

I understand some of this arrogance better - it's handed down from generation to generation. :wink:

See...it has nothing to do with "now that we are not a patsy the Hawks don't want to play any more." We didn't even want to play you guys when we were down and you were better.

:wink:

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron