Shutter Island

cyson

Jun 24, 2007
I went last night. I worked on a Mental Health Unit for a few years making it difficult to view as entertainment. It was ok.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I thought it was terrible. I predicted it within the first 10 minutes.
It also felt worse than it might have been because I kept thinking it was on the island that the Nicholas Cage move-The Wicker Man was on. Another terrible movie.

ThePollinator

Nov 29, 2009
Ames
I thought it was pretty good, not great. I don't know how all of you saw the twist at the end coming, but it surprised me.

josh777

Apr 13, 2006
I thought it was pretty good, not great. I don't know how all of you saw the twist at the end coming, but it surprised me.

***SPOILER ALERT***

Well, they really only had a few ways to go with the plot...either Leonardo's character was right that military experiments were taking place or we, as the audience, were experiencing his schizophrenic experience. They chose the latter. I wish the story would have went with the military experiments (which would still have been pretty stale) at least it could have gone a little gory and had a heroic ending.

Pretty disappointing for a Scorcese flick. I can't think of another of his movies I did not enjoy.

clonomaniac

Apr 12, 2006
St Louis, MO
I enjoyed the movie a lot. However, I, too, figured out what was going on way before the end of the movie. The thing I love about the movie, however, is that the movie-goers were left with two different thought process and both could be valid. I love movies that are open ended, much like LOST :)

CyForPresident

Mar 28, 2006
Cornlands of Ayuxwa
Just saw this. Pretty good movie. I went in not knowing anything about it except that it was supposed to be good, so I wasn't analyzing every second to figure out the twist. I was pretty shocked to be honest. I'm trying to figure out if he was insane or sane at the end still.

I do have to say though, what the **** is wrong with high school kids at movie theaters? 10 kids walk in 20 minutes late and everyone of them pull out their phones and start texting/talking. They then proceed to get up and leave every 10 minutes. And then as soon as the movie ends, one of them stands up and practically yells that the movie sucked. Wanker kids.

Kitkat

Apr 10, 2009
Don't read this if you haven't seen the film yet. I did not like this film because it messes with the audience's head and jerks you around. First, you identify with the main character and his partner as all the evidence seems to point in their favor; that is, the island is run by creepy sadomasochistic shrinks, the warden is a crazed ex-military man, etc. Plus the flashbacks to the DiCaprio character's wartime experience invite you to link the Shutter prison with Nazi concentration camps.
Then you learn at the end that the DiCaprio character has been a patient there for two years, killed his kids (when the film earlier suggests his wife did that and other possibilities), and will now be lobotomized because the alternative "therapy" did not work. I simply do not care for such manipulation of the audience; it was as if we watching the film were deceived by the director just like the DiCaprio character was deceived by the asylum administration. A cheap trick, really, in my view. Guess I prefer straight realism.

GeronimusClone

Oct 23, 2008
Des Moines, IA
Don't read this if you haven't seen the film yet. I did not like this film because it messes with the audience's head and jerks you around. First, you identify with the main character and his partner as all the evidence seems to point in their favor; that is, the island is run by creepy sadomasochistic shrinks, the warden is a crazed ex-military man, etc. Plus the flashbacks to the DiCaprio character's wartime experience invite you to link the Shutter prison with Nazi concentration camps.
Then you learn at the end that the DiCaprio character has been a patient there for two years, killed his kids (when the film earlier suggests his wife did that and other possibilities), and will now be lobotomized because the alternative "therapy" did not work. I simply do not care for such manipulation of the audience; it was as if we watching the film were deceived by the director just like the DiCaprio character was deceived by the asylum administration. A cheap trick, really, in my view. Guess I prefer straight realism.
I, and others I've spoke to, figured it out in the first 10 minutes when the "partner" has trouble with his gun and they make a big point to show it and everyone's faces.
Other than that, thought it was a good movie.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron