Pollard, this is our new coach!!!!

Cyrocks

Mar 12, 2009
Like I said several times, bring him in an assistant coach first.

I get your point, but which coach is going to hire him as an assistant knowing full well he is going to have his job soon?

Also, the head coaches hire their own assistants, not the school.

akclone

Bookie
Nov 28, 2006
Re: This thread epitomizes the lunacy of this topic

Yeah, we thought GMAC could be a quick fix for the problems Wayne Morgan had. I guess to some, the grass is always greener on the other side.

GO CYCLONES!!!

When did postseason tournaments become problems?

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
America may love the repented sinner, but they hate the sinner. How many parents are going to send their kids to be coached by a recovering alcoholic?[/QUOTE]

LE as a future coach at ISU is a non-starter, however, I take exception with this comment. There are plenty of recovering alcoholics in all professions who are doing just fine. I wouldn't be bothered at all if a recovering alcoholic were recruiting my son and I think most people would be okay with it. There is shame in being an alcoholic not a recovering alcoholic.

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006
I also wanted to see LE put on 6 months to a year leave of absence to get his act together. Maybe the drinkng was part of it but the last two season weren't very good with a losing season and first round NIT loss. I'm amazed when people dismiss what Morgan did taking over a down program that was nationally the butte of jokes. Sure Morgan was picked by default, we couldn't get anybody else to take the job. Then look what he did with all winning seasons, 4 post season wins, and 4 wins over top 8 teams, and yes Stinson, Blaylock, Staple and Clark were his recruits and not LE's. The first 3 said they wouldn't come to ISU if Morgan wasn't named the coach. I'd include Morgan in any discussion about our next coach but with JP here I'm sure that never happens, or if Morgan would even consider it at his age.

BigBake

Mar 17, 2006
U'dale
Well, he didn't have too much trouble recruiting good players when he was a participating (not really sure what to call it) alcoholic. I think he should have been given a chance to stay here if he got his personal life in order. Maybe it would have worked, maybe not, but I just wish he would have been given a chance. That's all.

I recall recruiting to be a problem under Larry. He had no one coming in after his two good years. I also recall three of our best players walking away our never showing. Harper, haluska and Power.

BigCojones

Aug 24, 2009
Ankeny
I would love to get Bill Lambier as the next ISU coach if ISU decides to ever make a coaching change. He is an assitant with the Twolves now but before that he coached a womens pro team that has won 3 titles under him. He wants to be a head coach in the NBA but they wont give him a shot for what ever reason. Charles Barkley even spoke out for him saying he deserves a shot.

Last edited:
Reactions: weR138

WalkingCY

Sep 26, 2008
Kansas City
Go get him and bring ISU basketball back to what it should be!

JEFF HORNACEK.

Last second buzzer beater:
YouTube - 1986 NCAA Tournament first round - Miami (OH) vs Iowa State - Jeff Hornacek at the buzzer

YouTube - Hornacek

I was reading up on Jeff and it says he interviewed for the Bulls and Suns, but they went with a bigger name. I really think Jeff could do great things at ISU. First he knows what it takes to win at Iowa State. Second, recruiting would pick just with the NBA name/history. I also think that he would be loyal and not just pick up and go once he had success here and bigger schools come calling. I'm ready for a change.

You gotta believe that he would be able to bring in some nice guards to ISU. It would be cool to have JH as our coach. Can we get him right now?

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I recall recruiting to be a problem under Larry. He had no one coming in after his two good years. I also recall three of our best players walking away our never showing. Harper, haluska and Power.

Stinson, Blalock, Staple, Vroman, Homan were all recruited under Larry. They REALLY sucked.

mac4cy

Jul 16, 2009
Urbandale
A lot of wishing. We need to give McD. more time. I know I will be sacrificed for saying it but it is true. Too many times coaches don't get enough time to prove what they are. Sometimes it takes more then 4 years. We as Cyclones should now that. IMO Coach McD. is a good hire and knows what he is doing. Yes at times we wonder WTF but we are sitting on our ***** watching it on TV. How many of us could do any better out there?

MARLEY34

Jul 19, 2006
i say we call tim floyd or larry eustacy back we should of never let him go in the first place

WalkingCY

Sep 26, 2008
Kansas City
A lot of wishing. We need to give McD. more time. I know I will be sacrificed for saying it but it is true. Too many times coaches don't get enough time to prove what they are. Sometimes it takes more then 4 years. We as Cyclones should now that. IMO Coach McD. is a good hire and knows what he is doing. Yes at times we wonder WTF but we are sitting on our ***** watching it on TV. How many of us could do any better out there?

No, his coaching style and philosophy have GOT TO GO. He will never win at ISU. He is not B12 caliber. This season has been horrible. Lack of discipline/teamwork/offensive and defensive scheme has been shaky/another player has "mysteriously" left and he had NO IDEA?.....no, no, no.....I am done with this guy as ISU's coach. He is killing my alma mater's basketball program. (We still put 13k+ in the seats because yes....we are great fans....and we deserve better.) I would never disagree that he is not a nice person.....but I am not here nor are other alumni and fans to see someone, who is a "good guy" drive our program into the ground. We someone with some fire, someone who demands excellence, who knows exactly what is going on in his entire team's life and what their aspirations are.....and someone that has a better scheme offensively and defensively fits B12 play.

We must remove him from the program at season's end.

Cytaki

Feb 21, 2008
Nomad
Larry was a bad recruiter. Half the guys you mentioned Al were guys recruited by Wayne...now I understand they were while Larry was coach but for the most part, save Larry's last year, he was a pretty average recruiting at best.

cyclonepower

Oct 5, 2006
WDM
Mike Davis--UAB, put him at the top of my list, played for a National Championship, went to UAB has some good recruits and has proven to beat good teams on the road...

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006
I like Mike Davis too. Indiana really scewed up when they canned him, kind of like us with Morgan.

BigBake

Mar 17, 2006
U'dale
Stinson, Blalock, Staple, Vroman, Homan were all recruited under Larry. They REALLY sucked.

Yup, just a handful.

Point is the same player bolting problem is here today as it was then. The same problem that we only get a small recruit class and of that even a smaller set if really good players. And still the problem exists where the very good players we have leave.

Same crap different coach.

Cyrocks

Mar 12, 2009
Canning Morgan was by no means a mistake. Thanks for playing though.

Lol. Want to compare Morgan's accomplishments with GMac's?

You can't compare the two. It's sort of like saying "We should have never gotten rid of Dan McCarney" after Chizik's two years. I like DMac as much as anyone, but it was time for him to go.

Now, if you want to say GMac hasn't panned out like we all hoped he would, then you would get no argument from me.

Whose to say ISU's record would be any better right now under Morgan?

PsychedClone

Apr 11, 2006
Visit site
Comments about Mac from a Coaching News Website

Source: www.coachingnewsonline.com:

Greg McDermott's future at Iowa State
Saturday, 23 January 2010 "A lot of rumors are surfacing around the Big 12 concerning Greg McDermott's future at Iowa State. Regardless of what you hear, McDermott's job is in no trouble at all. He will be in Ames next season."

ss

Apr 10, 2006
hazleton
not sure why people think wm was any good at coaching.
i do think he was a good recruiter and between larry and waynes doings, gmac was
in a big hole when he took the job.
dont u think if wm was good enough hed be coaching somewhere right now? gregs teams frustrate me, but wm teams made me toss my tv.