clone99

Sep 14, 2007
Iowa
Best lines, and fun to watch, but not very realistic
Kelly's Heroes
Heartbreak Ridge

Most accurately done

Saving Private Ryan
Band of Brothers (if we are considering it a movie, it would be first)
Gettysburg
Patton
Black Hawk Down

NobodyBeatsCy

Apr 17, 2008
Clive, IA
Win!!!!

BTW, I just got finger oil all over some original and reproduction 2 and 3 band Enfields yesterday. This post reminded me of that.

Josh Chamberlain has been one of my heroes since I was a kid. I just didn't see Jeff Daniels as being a good fit for the part... until he quite literally knocked it out of the park. Dude can act.

BTW - Nice Wall of Voodoo sig line.

Thanks - It was definitely a once in a lifetime opportunity to "experience" the Civil War and Hollywood!

BTW - Mexican Radio - one of the BEST songs and Videos from back in the day!

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
Prolly because "The Patriot" was typical Mel Gibson overdramatic (and historically inaccurate) crap.

But that's just my guess.

Inaccurate?

Much of that movie is taken from actual events, real people, real battles. Even the names are remarkably similar to the real life figures. I don't believe the producers called it a documentary.

Phaedrus

Jan 13, 2008
Khorasan
Inaccurate?

Much of that movie is taken from actual events, real people, real battles. Even the names are remarkably similar to the real life figures. I don't believe the producers called it a documentary.

Braveheart = We Were Soldiers = The Patriot

Melodramatic, enough of "true" events to gain a little cachet, but fundamentally flawed and just too... I don't know the word exactly - "schlocky."

Not really realistic portrayals, any of them no matter how based in "real" events they were. They were entertaining. But predictable.

Edited to add: I just thought of a new word: "Schlockumentary" Defined as what happens when Mel Gibson takes on a movie project based on real events.

Last edited:

NobodyBeatsCy

Apr 17, 2008
Clive, IA
+ 1 on Braveheart. Top 5 on my All-Time Movie List. How bad would it suck to be a soldier in the 13th Century?

I don't know - It would be pretty straight forward. No high tech ways to get picked off. They had archers, but I'd take my chances with them at a 100 yards out rather than a guy with a laser sight!

goclonz80

Sep 12, 2008
Omaha
Don't you think Almost Heroes had some sweet war scenes as well?
"Die you Spanish bastards!"
Obviously a classic war movie... A drinking duel with a spanish conquistador, a vicious attack by a bear, an eagle, and a squirrel with something in his hands... Not to mention the savage indians that eat your brain with a cruelly fashioned fork or spoon, which varies depending on the tribe.

BigLame

Feb 6, 2008
Western IA
All Quiet - perpetual winner

More recent = Kingdom of Heaven. First fight scene in forest and the siege scenes are pretty cool.

Obscure = March or Die. Gotta have a French foreign legion movie in there

Sleeper = The Winter War. Takes place in Finland during WWII.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Braveheart = We Were Soldiers = The Patriot

Melodramatic, enough of "true" events to gain a little cachet, but fundamentally flawed and just too... I don't know the word exactly - "schlocky."

Not really realistic portrayals, any of them no matter how based in "real" events they were. They were entertaining. But predictable.

Edited to add: I just thought of a new word: "Schlockumentary" Defined as what happens when Mel Gibson takes on a movie project based on real events.

The Patriot followed much too closely on the heels of Braveheart, and suffered because it was a very similar type of historical epic, but a little less engaging. I thought Braveheart was a great movie, but no, not historically accurate, since the history of William Wallace could be better classified as a collection of legends, with smatterings of small facts thrown in.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron