Greatest War movies?

Phaedrus

Jan 13, 2008
Khorasan
I envy you. That is one of my top places that I want to see before I die.

Me too. I think every American needs to see the beaches at Normandy. Never got around to doing it, though, even living in Europe, twice.

When I'm feeling sorry for myself, I like to look at this "motivational" poster, just to remind me of who has gone before:

couragegoanyway.png

Blandboy

Mar 31, 2006
Bettendorf
Old school...Dirty Dozen, Bridge OVer River Kwai. Modern era ...Enemy at the Gate [Russian sniper vs. German sniper]. Private Ryan, Band of Brothers, U571. Kelly's Heroes for grins and giggles.

Last edited:

CTAClone

Addict
Mar 28, 2006
Amerika
Two movies that aren't your traditional war movies but that are fantastic films, Schindlers List and Life is Beautiful.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Me too. I think every American needs to see the beaches at Normandy. Never got around to doing it, though, even living in Europe, twice.

When I'm feeling sorry for myself, I like to look at this "motivational" poster, just to remind me of who has gone before:

couragegoanyway.png

Fantastic and humbling post!

I dream of going to Normandy someday, too. Revkah caught me tearing up to "Love of the Game" this week. I can only imagine what would happen at Normandy, or at Pearl Harbor.

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa

I dream of going to Normandy someday, too. Revkah caught me tearing up to "Love of the Game" this week. I can only imagine what would happen at Normandy, or at Pearl Harbor.

I had a buddy who made it there. Said it was kind of somber.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I envy you. That is one of my top places that I want to see before I die.

We're going to stay at the Churchill Hotel in Bayeux, which isn't far from the beaches.

I'm not usually big into tours but we are going to use this company for one day.
Battlebus Home Page - D-Day Tours, Normandy Tours, WWII Tours, Battlefield Tours

My wife has been wanting to go to Paris for a while and I was surprised that she was excited to include Normandy on our trip.

We just finished watching the last episode of The Band of Brothers. I now have to watch the extended version of The Big Red One.

cyingreen

Nov 13, 2006
Jasper County
Bridge Over the River Kwai--the stupidity of war
Band of Brothers (though not technically a movie) and
Enemy at the Gates--the reality of war
Letters From Iwo Jima and Das Boot--war from the other side's
viewpoint
Midway--the role of luck in war
Patton and MacArthur--the effect of ego and personalities in war
A Bridge Too Far--if only they had done it three weeks sooner (or the effect of British, read Montgomery's, personality in war)
Kelley's Heroes--private enterprise war
Best of the lot--A Bridge Too Far

CycloneYoda

Jan 27, 2009

Essentially the equivalent of every Brit heading over to The Somme to pay some major tribute.

Phaedrus

Jan 13, 2008
Khorasan
Essentially the equivalent of every Brit heading over to The Somme to pay some major tribute.

Or a Canadian heading to Vimy Ridge.

minor thread hijack: Canadians, esp. Canadian military folks still take Vimy Ridge seriously. They consider it the battle that "made" Canada a nation to be respected.

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006

Nothing wrong with that. Every time I watch Saving Private Ryan I get very choked up with General Marshall reads that letter to Mrs Bixby.

Not sure many people realize that's an actual letter - but allegedly not penned by Lincoln, but one of his staffers.

guitarchitect7

Oct 8, 2006
www.chrisboeke.com
Band of Brothers isn't a movie is it? Although it would be on the top of my list.

Saving Private Ryan for my generation would be the obvious choice as it even changed they way cinema made movies.

Tora, Tora, Tora is a good one.

I haven't seen a lot of people talk about "All quiet on the Western Front". Although not as popular, isn't it one of the more famous war movies to date.

Of course considering War, Schindler's List comes to mind and the Diary of Anne Frank.

I guess when you say war, do you mean in the heat of battle war, or just about war?

goclonz80

Sep 12, 2008
Omaha
I would say that even though it was a mini series Band of Brothers takes the cake for most realistic and entertaining. My roomate in college got the box set for Christmas. We started watching them and couldnt stop. Took up the good part of a weekend watching them one after another.

Personally I also love Stripes but you cant really call it a legitimate war movie.

as far as actual war movies...

Platoon
Blackhawk Down
Saving Private Ryan
Full Metal Jacket
Hamburger Hill

Phaedrus

Jan 13, 2008
Khorasan
Well, I suppose you can self-define, if you'd like.

Far and Away was a terrific war movie. (I think that's the title). When the German pilot was shot down, and sat down and had a cigarette as the home guardsmen and townspeople surrounded and gawked at him.

And then he said "Boo!" and they all shrank back from fear, and he laughed.

Very nice vignette, there.

I really think that disregarding technology and cinematography, "All Quiet" has to be considered top(ish) of the heap.

GeronimusClone

Oct 23, 2008
Des Moines, IA
I would say that even though it was a mini series Band of Brothers takes the cake for most realistic and entertaining. My roomate in college got the box set for Christmas. We started watching them and couldnt stop. Took up the good part of a weekend watching them one after another.

Personally I also love Stripes but you cant really call it a legitimate war movie.

as far as actual war movies...

Platoon
Blackhawk Down
Saving Private Ryan
Full Metal Jacket
Hamburger Hill
Don't you think Almost Heroes had some sweet war scenes as well?
"Die you Spanish bastards!"

StPaulCyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2008
Duh!
Just a slight correction, StPaulCyclone, but it is Stalag 17 -- which starred William Holden. I also posted this a while back. You are absolutely right, however, this is a great war movie.

Stalag 13, by the way, was the name of the POW camp in Hogan's Hero's -- a classic TV show.

You are of course correct. I blame HH's for my mistake. :confused: Stalag 17 is a great movie and Holden is fantastic! I still love the scene where they are painting lines on the road out the gate to the women's barracks. Classic!

NobodyBeatsCy

Apr 17, 2008
Clive, IA
1) Gettysburg
2) Full Metal Jacket
3) Braveheart (I'm calling it a war movie, even though there is more to it)
4) Last Samurai (see #3)

Ha! I was actually in Gettysburg! I was one of the mutinous 2nd Maine boys that JLC (Jeff Daniels) talked into rejoining the 20th Maine - He did that whole speech in one take - it was awesome!

Phaedrus

Jan 13, 2008
Khorasan
Ha! I was actually in Gettysburg! I was one of the mutinous 2nd Maine boys that JLC (Jeff Daniels) talked into rejoining the 20th Maine - He did that whole speech in one take - it was awesome!

Win!!!!

BTW, I just got finger oil all over some original and reproduction 2 and 3 band Enfields yesterday. This post reminded me of that.

Josh Chamberlain has been one of my heroes since I was a kid. I just didn't see Jeff Daniels as being a good fit for the part... until he quite literally knocked it out of the park. Dude can act.

BTW - Nice Wall of Voodoo sig line.