Noise Canceling Headhpones/Ear Buds

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
My wife has a pair of Sony MDR 1000x NC headphones. They are the best noise canceling headphones I've ever used and would buy myself some but I have a couple of issues.

#1 I hate paying $350 for headphones when I already have some Audio-Technica's that sounds better than any of the noise canceling head phones.

#2 I would use these only for riding on a plane. I've used her Sony's on the plane and they do a GREAT job of keeping out the noise but the thing they suck at is trying to sleep with them on and they also take up a lot of space. I believe I would have the same issue with any headphone.

So that leaves me with the earbud option. There are both wired as well as Bluetooth versions available. The one big negative on the Bluetooth ones compared to wired is battery life. The one big downside to the wired ones are that most devices seem to be getting rid of the plug.

Are the noise canceling ear buds as good as the normal headphones? Anyone have these?

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
My wife has a pair of Sony MDR 1000x NC headphones. They are the best noise canceling headphones I've ever used and would buy myself some but I have a couple of issues.

#1 I hate paying $350 for headphones when I already have some Audio-Technica's that sounds better than any of the noise canceling head phones.

#2 I would use these only for riding on a plane. I've used her Sony's on the plane and they do a GREAT job of keeping out the noise but the thing they suck at is trying to sleep with them on and they also take up a lot of space. I believe I would have the same issue with any headphone.

So that leaves me with the earbud option. There are both wired as well as Bluetooth versions available. The one big negative on the Bluetooth ones compared to wired is battery life. The one big downside to the wired ones are that most devices seem to be getting rid of the plug.

Are the noise canceling ear buds as good as the normal headphones? Anyone have these?
I'm glad you said you only use them on the plane.

Please, please, please, everyone do not use noise cancelling head phones while driving, bike riding or walking. Hearing things keeps you and those around you safe. I can't count how many near misses I have had on bike trails because people were riding, walking, rollerblading, etc. even with regular headphones or earbuds and couldn't hear me when I called out that I was passing on their left so they did something stupid while I was in mid pass. I have also seen many people with headphones step out into downtown traffic because they couldn't hear that bus/truck/SUV bearing down on them. They are great for planes and in your apartment but don't risk it when you need to be aware of your surroundings.

/rant

• Agree
Reactions: huntt26

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
I'm glad you said you only use them on the plane.

Please, please, please, everyone do not use noise cancelling head phones while driving, bike riding or walking. Hearing things keeps you and those around you safe. I can't count how many near misses I have had on bike trails because people were riding, walking, rollerblading, etc. even with regular headphones or earbuds and couldn't hear me when I called out that I was passing on their left so they did something stupid while I was in mid pass. I have also seen many people with headphones step out into downtown traffic because they couldn't hear that bus/truck/SUV bearing down on them. They are great for planes and in your apartment but don't risk it when you need to be aware of your surroundings.

/rant
I will add to your rant. Noise cancellation is not the same as hearing protection with ear plugs.

Last edited:

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
We bought these a month or so ago and so far we are fairly pleased. Don't worry Velo I only wear one while riding. Not a huge fan of the loop around your ear but I suppose it serves a purpose. We both have hit syncd to our phones so when both phones are in range it will connect to both and then cut in and out of what you are listening to. Will be solved when my wife gets her own pair and deletes these from her phone.

Amazon product

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I have a pair of the Bose noise cancelling headphones. They work wonderfully. I only use them for flying, nowhere else really.

We got my wife a pair of the Bose noise cancelling ear buds. They work 98% as well as my headphones, but take up less space and are more comfortable. And I don't really like ear buds in general.

FWIW, on my last flight for work, I actually took her ear buds instead of my headphones.

Reactions: dmclone

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I have a pair of the Bose noise cancelling headphones. They work wonderfully. I only use them for flying, nowhere else really.

We got my wife a pair of the Bose noise cancelling ear buds. They work 98% as well as my headphones, but take up less space and are more comfortable. And I don't really like ear buds in general.

FWIW, on my last flight for work, I actually took her ear buds instead of my headphones.

Are yours the bluetooth or wired ones?

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
I have the wired Bose and they are fantastic. They are comfortable to wear for extended periods. I am worried about how future proof they are. I bought the wired because they were $180 vs $350 for the BT. But now I've realized that many phones are dropping the headphone jack. So now I'm going to have to carry another adapter or spring for the expensive ones when I upgrade my phone.

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
Check out Shure's noise isolating headphones. Basically high quality earplugs with tremendous little microdrivers built in. Noise abatement is great and the sound quality is amazing for ear buds. They are pricey but worth it. It's nearly pro grade equipment (they also make the stuff the pros use for live music).