C Pap machines

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Getting one for the first time today. What do I need to know about this contraption?

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
Man, should have invested in a company that makes those things. Seems like everyone I know is getting one. Sorry OP, not helpful I know.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Man, should have invested in a company that makes those things. Seems like everyone I know is getting one. Sorry OP, not helpful I know.
No ****. There charging so much my insurance company is making it be a rent to own thing for 10 months.

cyclone13

Apr 7, 2009
Had it 6 years ago due but only ysed it for 2 years - managed to lose weight and get rid of sleep apnea.

My advice: this machine will save your life, so if you feel uncomfortable at first, just try to enjoy it. I know it can be a hassle when traveling but it was truly a life saver for me.

Don’t hesitate to find the best mask and/or strap that works best for you. Fortunately For me, I didn’t experience any issues or any reluctance but once I was in the clinic to get a new pipe and there was one lady who returned the machine after just 1 night because she hated it.

Make sure you change the filter, clean the mask and pipe regularly.

MLawrence

Jan 21, 2010
Getting one for the first time today. What do I need to know about this contraption?

I have had one for about 6 months now. At first I hated wearing it, but after the first week I got used to it. Now, I wouldn't got a night without wearing it because it has improved the quality of my sleep, and if I go a night without it, I get pretty tired the following day. If you need to replace parts, be sure to check out Amazon since you may be able to get a better deal then your medical supply store. Obviously this is dependent on your insurance, and how much they are going to pay for it.

One last thing, I am sure you may already know this, but be sure to use distilled water instead of tap. I used tap water a couple of times, and I noticed there was a little residue left behind in the water tank.

• Agree
Reactions: khardbored

kirk89gt

Feb 15, 2014
Like others have said, stick with it. It will seem a little awkward at first, but it drastically improves your sleep quality. Have had one for about two years and don’t want to sleep without it. Make sure you maintain and replace the wear parts at the recommended intervals as that affects your sleep quality as well.

One thing that I have noticed since I began using it is I have started having dreams again, which means I am getting the REM sleep your body needs. During my sleep study I was going apnic roughly 50 times per hour (which I later found out was about 10 times above the minimum threshold for having sleep apnea). I just wish I would have gotten one sooner.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Like others have said, stick with it. It will seem a little awkward at first, but it drastically improves your sleep quality. Have had one for about two years and don’t want to sleep without it. Make sure you maintain and replace the wear parts at the recommended intervals as that affects your sleep quality as well.

One thing that I have noticed since I began using it is I have started having dreams again, which means I am getting the REM sleep your body needs. During my sleep study I was going apnic roughly 50 times per hour (which I later found out was about 10 times above the minimum threshold for having sleep apnea). I just wish I would have gotten one sooner.
What’s the intervals for all the **** I need to replace?

Shawker

This May Not Be Accurate
Jun 19, 2014
Des Moines
What’s the intervals for all the **** I need to replace?

The water reservoir and tubing should last a while as long as you're keeping them clean. I usually order a few of the masks every other month or so since that's directly touching my face and they're relatively cheap.

cyclone13

Apr 7, 2009
I think the insurance will cover routine replacements (filters). Mask usually once a year and pipe once in a year too.

I think I woke up 76 times in an hour and when I did my sleep study, after just 2 hours I was woken up by the nurse who told me that No doubt I had apnea (usually the doctor delivers the diagnosis) and let me try the mask. I only slept about 3.5 hours with the mask, but felt very energized when I woke up.

My son, who was 4 that time said I looked like Darth Vader with my mask.

Reactions: CYdTracked

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Our family having a heart to heart talk with my dad several years ago to get a sleep study test was one of the best things we ever did. He was showing all the signs of sleep apnea but he was in denial about it. Once he finally agreed to take a test I think the results surprised him then he was skeptical about if he could actually sleep with the mask on because he said it felt like someone was blowing an air compressor on him. Well they adjust the machine once you start using it and once he gave it a try he admits he can't go without it if he forgot to take it with him on a trip. I notice a big difference in his stamina and energy levels once he started using it and I'm glad he listened to us because if he kept ignoring the problem I wonder if he would still be with us right now. His dad died of a heart attack just a couple years before I was born so both his mom, sister, and us all pointed out that he shouldn't take the issue lightly given family history with heart health. His excuse was that his blood pressure was good and he passes his physicals but glad that he listened to us because he is getting to enjoy his retirement and grandkids and I am glad that our kids will have memories of both Grandpas when I only have memories of 1.

OPButtrey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 21, 2010
Do I need a refer a referral from my pcp to get tested for sleep apnea? I suspect I have it.

kirk89gt

Feb 15, 2014
Do I need a refer a referral from my pcp to get tested for sleep apnea? I suspect I have it.

Yes, but if you tell him/her your concerns, they can get you set up with a study. If they blow you off , you need a new doctor.

So back story to how I got tested. Both my parents have sleep apnea, dad was the first to get diagnosed and how he was diagnosed was largely coincidence. He had went in for a scheduled colonoscopy, and when he woke up after being put under, he made a comment to the anesthesiologist that he felt great and asked how long he had been out. Turns out he was only out for ~ 30 minutes, but he would have swore he was asleep for hours. This lead the anesthesiologist to ask him a few questions and ultimately an appointment with the sleep clinic.

I remember growing up that dad would fall asleep at the kitchen tables on Sundays while reading the paper and eating breakfast. Driving in the afternoon with him behind the wheel became an adventure. While these situations are more related to narcolepsy, narcolepsy is a symptom of sleep apnea in that your body and brain are not getting the deep REM downtime needed to recharge, and your body will try to find other opportunities for you to get your rest.

This ultimately lead to me getting tested. I knew I wasn’t getting a good sleep, but I figured that it was just part of getting older and being a parent. I would wake up and feel like I hadn’t slept a bit. On good days I would feel somewhat rested, but have a feeling of being in a brain fog, which was very weird. I didn’t have enough energy to exercise, I ate more than I should to find a replacement for the lost energy, which leads to other issues, and so on.

This speaks to the power and importance of sleep and it is a shame that it isn’t more widely publicized.

CyJam

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Denver, CO

Before getting tested, I'd make sure you have sufficient life insurance coverage. Your rates are going to take a big hit once you are diagnosed with sleep apnea. At least that was my experience.

• Informative

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
It's a game changer for life. Agree with what others have posted. Keep it clean and use distilled water.

I use filtered water and that works fine too. I have bad sinuses so I keep my heat and humidity turned to max, and therein lies my problem - if I sleep in, I have to refill the reservoir. I wish the reservoir was bigger.

chadm

Giving it a go
Apr 11, 2006
Midwest
I have one, If your spouse says you snore a lot or stop breathing for long periods of time, get the study done. It helps you live longer and your spouse will appreciate it.

• Agree

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Before getting tested, I'd make sure you have sufficient life insurance coverage. Your rates are going to take a big hit once you are diagnosed with sleep apnea. At least that was my experience.
This is important

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron