ISU Volleyball Camps

sunset

Oct 18, 2006
San Diego, CA
We looking at the ISU summer volleyball camps for our 7th grade daughter. Has anybody been to these camps and can you give me an idea of what to expect (i.e. what skill level, how do the coaches run drills, etc.)?

I am considering the multi-day Junior Cyclone camp or a couple of the single day specialized hitter/setter/libero camps. Thanks.

Cyfan1965

Nov 9, 2016
Iowa
We looking at the ISU summer volleyball camps for our 7th grade daughter. Has anybody been to these camps and can you give me an idea of what to expect (i.e. what skill level, how do the coaches run drills, etc.)?

I am considering the multi-day Junior Cyclone camp or a couple of the single day specialized hitter/setter/libero camps. Thanks.

My daughter has been to the multi day camp. She said it was fun and she would do it again. However, she opted to stay connected with a friend she knew instead of getting put into group by her individual skill level. She has never played with her own age group and when she was put in that group because of the skill level of her friend it was not ideal. If your daughter goes have her be on her own and be evaluated by skill level.

Jess Schaben was my daughters court coach and when they broke into teams. She was very good about pulling the girls aside and working on footwork with them while they played a mini tournament. I don't know if that is everyone's experience or not on the other courts.

Being she is in 7th... I would have her go to specialized camps where you will learn footwork and position specific drills correctly so bad habits don't start early. CJL took the setters, Joe took the liberos initially and then they broke by age and skill level from the big group later with ISU players in those positions taking over.

Bottom line we liked it because we are ISU through and through.

• Informative
Reactions: sunset

Cybirdy

Sep 10, 2009
Ames
I have sent my 2nd daughter when she was going into 5th and going into 6th to the junior camp. She is just a rec level player, and this camp was perfect for her. They do work on skills, but also have a lot of fun. There are dress up days, and the groups break up into teams and eventually play little tournaments like someone mentioned. I never sent my older daughter because by 7th grade she had been playing club ball for a couple years and was a bit beyond junior camp. The position camps never worked with our softball schedule. If your daughter is a little more advanced, the skill specific camp may be more bang for your buck.

• Informative
Reactions: sunset and harimad

sunset

Oct 18, 2006
San Diego, CA
Thanks for the info, very helpful. My daughter plays club so it sounds like the positional options may be more suited to her. As an aside, these clinics are very reasonably priced. Similar options on the west coast are much more costly.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron