Lindell Wigginton's next ambitous goal: becoming an "elite defender"

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

ForeverIowan

Feb 23, 2013
Absolutely has the quickness and strength to be an elite defender. All mindset, want to, and experience now. Will be hard to take that lock down defender spot from Babb. I'd say he is already nearing elite on that end. Shayok coming over from Virginia as well they know how to play D over there. Could be best defense perimeter we've had in years.

FredCyclone

Sep 30, 2017
Next year is going to be amazing. Any idea on how strong the BIG 12 will be next year. Hope it is not this strong.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
It's amazing how quickly he has adjusted and improved on the defensive end. He was really bad on D in the Mizzou game.
I'll stick with my prediction that he needs his Jr year running the point to get into the 1st round, but if he becomes an elite defender and can get a little bit of time and play at a high level at point next year he might be a first rounder after next year.
What a recruit this kid is. There are only a handful of kids each year that combine this type of ability with that kind of mindset, work ethic and what certainly appears to be a team-first approach.

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
Absolutely has the quickness and strength to be an elite defender. All mindset, want to, and experience now. Will be hard to take that lock down defender spot from Babb. I'd say he is already nearing elite on that end. Shayok coming over from Virginia as well they know how to play D over there. Could be best defense perimeter we've had in years.

I was thinking the same thing. Next year's starting 5 should be the best defensive unit we've had in a couple decades, if not ever. Babb, Wiggi, and Shayok will provide length and quickness, with Solo as the enforcer and Lard as the eraser at the rim. That's how you win in this league, especially on the road.

allfourcy

Apr 26, 2012
Can we have one year were we are really strong and the rest of the league is the BIG 10 :)

Haha. Would be nice. If an experienced Texas Tech or a Trae Young OU can't knock out KU this year they won't next year either. We're all excited about our returning team next season, but KU will be loaded..solid depth in the front court, plus the Lawson transfers, plus Newman, Garrett, transfer Moore, and another 5 star pg coming in.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I thought it was great when I saw they had him on Lecomte and he was handling him. That frees Babb to use his size on an opponent with size. If Babb had to defend Manu Wiggi would have had to defend someone with significantly more size creating a mismatch.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Anybody remember who was on Mykhailiuk (especially in the first half in Lawrence) and who was on Newman (in the second half for him) for the KU game?

upload_2018-1-16_12-17-7.png

Those two torched us. For that matter, who was on Graham? NWB?

KU is good, so they are going to get theirs on some level, but I would be curious who gave up 6/9 from three and 23 from Mykhailiuk and 27 from Newman that night.

Slow those two down just a little bit more and we win.

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
Nice Article Rob...there is no doubt in my mind that Lindell can do most anything he wants to on a basketball court...Lindell is a tremendous athlete and his future is residing in the NBA......

Thompsonclone

Dec 13, 2008
Ames
Part of missing open jumpers is rushing things when you have been pestered all game.
Definitely. I don't know if it effects college players as much but I know from my playing days as a shooter that after taking tough shots and missing, you get frustrated and when you finally get an open look you feel like you have to capitalize on it and you usually miss because you're thinking about it too much. Now a college player is probably mentally stronger than I was but still.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
Anybody remember who was on Mykhailiuk (especially in the first half in Lawrence) and who was on Newman (in the second half for him) for the KU game?

View attachment 53005

Those two torched us. For that matter, who was on Graham? NWB?

KU is good, so they are going to get theirs on some level, but I would be curious who gave up 6/9 from three and 23 from Mykhailiuk and 27 from Newman that night.

Slow those two down just a little bit more and we win.

Wigginton was on Graham. Once again, he was great.

Newman was our stretch-4 mismatch that we've run into in Big 12 play. We had Lard on him to start the game. Brase guarded him as well, which is a huge athletic mismatch. We started the game by completely laying off Newman on the 3-point line, which was a mistake. Lard has the athleticism to at least contest out there. We let Newman hit a couple and his confidence was sky high the rest of the game. He's been a huge disappointment for them except against us.

I don't recall who was guarding Mykhailiuk.

Wigginton-Graham
Young-Azubuike
Lard-Newman
Jackson-Mykhailiuk?
Babb-Vick?

Newman actually came off the bench but played 34 minutes because we had no clue how to guard him. Hopefully the scouting report is more locked in when they come to Ames.

Reactions: The_Architect