Not taking your connection flight

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
We have an odd travel loop to take, and on the way back with a final connection in Sky Harbor, we need to miss our connection.

This would probably happen while on American Airlines, and paying through AA.com. Does anyone have experience with this? Any ramifications?

Of course we will only have carry on stuff, so checked bags, no big deal.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I haven't done this for several years, but there used to be rules against it. But I never had any problems, as long as the only leg I skipped was the last one. If you skip an earlier flight, you will probably mess up your entire itinerary. If you call before you miss your flight, you may be able to salvage any value (after a change fee) for a flight on the route in the future.

• Winner
Reactions: cycloneworld

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
I haven't done this for several years, but there used to be rules against it. But I never had any problems, as long as the only leg I skipped was the last one. If you skip an earlier flight, you will probably mess up your entire itinerary. If you call before you miss your flight, you may be able to salvage any value (after a change fee) for a flight on the route in the future.

Only the last leg.

A-B-C
C-B

Then we take B-A at a later date.

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
Hidden city ticketing. Have read stories about repercussions such as losing frequent flier status, etc. Doing it one time on a return flight probably wouldn't get noticed.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
You can try calling them and explaining the situation.

A good sob story usually gets a change fee waived on American.

I am 4/5 on it so far. If not, just do not check bags and walk off.

Book your new one yourself or just pay the change fee (if that is less).

KnappShack

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
We have an odd travel loop to take, and on the way back with a final connection in Sky Harbor, we need to miss our connection.

This would probably happen while on American Airlines, and paying through AA.com. Does anyone have experience with this? Any ramifications?

Of course we will only have carry on stuff, so checked bags, no big deal.

Don't think this applies to you, but I wanted to do this a few years ago on the 1st leg.

Airline told me if I didn't continue and complete the itinerary they would assume I didn't need the return flights. They would cancel the rest of my flights. Cool.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Don't think this applies to you, but I wanted to do this a few years ago on the 1st leg.

Airline told me if I didn't continue and complete the itinerary they would assume I didn't need the return flights. They would cancel the rest of my flights. Cool.
I had a flight that traveled from dsm to Phoenix via the twin cities. Being halfway, I asked if I could skip the dsm part and check in at MSP. They told me that my whole flight would be cancelled. For some reason it was cheaper to do this instead of just the msp to Phoenix.

cycloneML

Mar 5, 2008
My son did it this summer. We both Flew from intl falls to Minneapolis. I continued to KC. He did not get on the KC flight. Flight attendants asked about him. I said he wasn’t coming. No big deal as long as you don’t check a bag.

DSMCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2013
West Des Moines
There used to be a website that would find these types of deals, where a connection was cheaper than a direct flight, if you were wanting stay in the connection city.
I think they got shut down though or sued by the airlines.

As other said, I'm sure you'd be fine doing it one time.

cloneteach

Nov 19, 2009
I skipped the first leg of a round trip flight because I was driving to my destination and planned on flying back but a round trip ticket was cheaper. When I didn't show up they canceled my return flight. After pleading ignorance they let me fly stand-by on the way home.

GrindingAway

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 27, 2006
I skipped the first leg of a round trip flight because I was driving to my destination and planned on flying back but a round trip ticket was cheaper. When I didn't show up they canceled my return flight. After pleading ignorance they let me fly stand-by on the way home.

This is accurate. If it's the last leg it shouldn't be a problem as long as you carry on everything. If it's an earlier leg it will cancel the rest of the itinerary.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron