Kempt's long TD run yesterday

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I know this doesn't matter anymore, but can anyone explain yet why Kempt's TD run wasn't reviewed yesterday? I still want to understand this.

Some have said you can't review a play where the official said you stepped out of bounds, but I swear I see that happen every single Saturday in nearly every single game.

And watching all these games every week that take 5 hours to play because these officials review every other play, and take forever to do it too, but yet they don't review an obvious TD run? I just want to understand what I'm missing, or what the rule is on this specifically? It didn't end up mattering because we scored anyway, but that's the kind of play that could have cost us the game.

SCarolinaCy

Jun 20, 2011
Greenville, SC
If the whistle is blown players stop playing. It's like Pavlov's dog. So you can't allow a team a touchdown after the whistle is blown. So the right call would've been for the ref to allow the play to finish, and let the replay correct if it's wrong.
I would have been VERY upset if ISU had not scored on the possession.

CloneConer

Apr 15, 2016
I understand the rule, but was it actually blown dead on the field within the half a second between Kempt skirting the sideline and being in the endzone??? Watching the game, I didn't see or hear any indication of what happened after the play until we were lining up again. It seemed like they decided he was out of bounds after the play had finished but before they reviewed it. Never saw a red running to the sideline calling him out. Veeeerrrry fishy.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
It seems you see refs try to play it safe and let plays go more and more lately, definitely what should have happened there. It didn't end up hurting us but it could've been significant.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
Maybe the wrong thread but who were the refs?

Three penalties for 30 yards (all on one team) is crazy.

• Agree
Reactions: Lineup

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
My head explodes every time I hear "every play is reviewed in college football".

In the OU/Ohio St game there was an obvious interception in the endzone that was incorrectly called incomplete. Ohio State rushed a play. There's absolutely no way that play was reviewed even slightly because it's a 100% confirmed overturned every time.

• Useful
  • Agree
Reactions: TruClone and Lineup

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
Can only assume the sideline official that blew the call is from Texas. Or Iowa City.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
If the whistle is blown players stop playing. It's like Pavlov's dog. So you can't allow a team a touchdown after the whistle is blown. So the right call would've been for the ref to allow the play to finish, and let the replay correct if it's wrong.

Got it. That helps explain it. Thanks. If the whistle blows, I guess you can make the point that players might quit on the play, although I don't think it happened on this play, a rule is a rule.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
It's on the side judge to have the situational awareness to let the play run its course and then make sure it is reviewed properly. It's become apparent that they are increasingly being trained to do this. We were just lucky it didn't matter this time.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Look at the bright side. Having to run additional plays meant a few more seconds off the clock. Kempt's run for a TD would have meant about 1:00 left for the Tech end of half drive. ISU ran it twice more before the TD pass on third down. As it was Tech only had :26 left and had to try a Hail Mary from the 50 rather than getting in scoring range.

But, yes, I would have been pissed if ISU wouldn't have scored anyway.