Discipline

ISU_phoria

Apr 10, 2006
Andover, MN
Probably due to the fact I've been an ISU fan for so long that I just can't help myself....but I keep thinking that we're going to have a rude awakening that brings us back to reality, like has always happened in the past. But these guys keep proving me wrong!

This is the most complete, well-rounded ISU team I have ever seen. They are solid in every aspect of the game. It's hard to believe we're watching Iowa State play like this. I absolutely love it!

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
It has been pretty good this year, and you saw it today. ZERO penalties!! No sacks allowed. Love this coaching staff.

Somebody disagreed with this? Why/how? It was another really clean game and the o-line did well. They’re learning.

Reactions: justincl

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest
Somebody disagreed with this? Why/how? It was another really clean game and the o-line did well. They’re learning.

Likely just disagreement over the statement "zero penalties" based on the debate in other threads if a kick out of bounds on a kickoff counts as a penalty or not.

(For the record, while it's not really worth splitting hairs over, I say it's still a penalty if you take the ball at the 35. Just multiple choices for enforcement.)

Side note, a few years back there was some company (might have been Allstate) that said they would donate $1 mil to each school if there was a D1 NCAA football game with zero penalties on either side. Came moderately close today. I wonder if that ever happened?

Side note 2: Noteworthy that we rank 10th in the nation for fewest penalty yards per game. (link)

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: ImJustKCClone

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
Probably due to the fact I've been an ISU fan for so long that I just can't help myself....but I keep thinking that we're going to have a rude awakening that brings us back to reality, like has always happened in the past. But these guys keep proving me wrong!

This is the most complete, well-rounded ISU team I have ever seen. They are solid in every aspect of the game. It's hard to believe we're watching Iowa State play like this. I absolutely love it!
I'm with ya. Each week there is the "well, but can they...." and they keep answering.

What I love is (and this is going back to end of last year) is it's starting to show that no matter the opponent, we will show up. No "hope we don't get beat by 50" feel.

Even the Iowa loss....burns me still...but one play here or there and that's ours. Less errors and such will continue to help put us in position to beat anyone.

Omaha Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 1, 2007
www.tecmobowl-vs-rbi.com
It has been pretty good this year, and you saw it today. ZERO penalties!! No sacks allowed. Love this coaching staff.

If I recall correctly from watching a video via Tech's version of Cyclone Fanatic, Tech was in the upper half of the big 12 with defensive sacks. Add in that Kempt got a bunch of low snaps from center yesterday and its even more impressive.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
We will need this discipline this coming Saturday...cooler weather and a tough TCU defense are going to be a challenge...game on!

Definitely. Need to be firing on all cylinders, and be patient. Sometimes just flipping the field for your defense is a good drive. I love the way this staff manages the game, and the players just seem to stay focused no matter what.

BBHMagic

Oct 15, 2009
Another great example was the pick 6 by Spears. The quarterback pumped left, but Spears stepped right. People are just doing their jobs.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
Hopefully our staff has learned from the Texas game because this TCU defense is for real. Just feed Montgomery the damn ball and wear them down. He might end up with 30 carries for only 60 yards but they will grow tired of needing to tackle him with 6 guys every play and that will open up everything else.

Very impressed by our passing scheme with Kempt. He doesn't hold onto the ball long and our receivers are making great plays.

We have a fundamentally sound football team. Turnover margin and penalties for and against lead the big 12. Near the top in rush defense as well. Simply phenomenal.

Reactions: khardbored

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Play of the year in my opinion was vs OU when that OU player was slapping the helmet after the play and our player just backed up with his hands raised. Flag on OU and they can't argue it when our player is standing with his hands raised backing up. Incredible discipline on a game changing drive. I'd say only 1 out of 100 times does a college football player not slap him right back.

RealisticCy

Nov 2, 2014
Ames, IA
Only been a Cyclone fan since 2007, but what Campbell and staff have done to the culture of the program in a little under two years is incredible. Just an amazing turn around and it all starts with discipline and fundamentals.

We haven't been incredible at any one part of the game, but we have very very solid at everything. Montgomery runs so damn hard and grinds out yards, OL has been ok, passing game has been accurate and efficient, WR's have bought in and are blocking like crazy. Offense just doesn't make mistakes and we've stressed ball control, and I think Kempt plays to that style better than Park did. On defense, tackling has improved by leaps and bounds, players are in the correct position and doing their jobs, limiting the big plays, and forcing the other offense to convert multiple third downs on every possession. Special teams has been rock solid.

The paragraph above basically describes Synder at K-State; this is exactly how you win with players generally thought to be less talented. You develop them through S&C and teach them how to play mistake free. So many posts over the last few years have said we need a high flying offense to be competitive in the Big 12, and they were wrong. We need to run the ball, stop the run, control the clock and the line of scrimmage, and not screw up.

The crowd support at the TCU game needs to be a huge "THANK YOU" to Campbell and this team. They deserve it...

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron