Keeping Campbell

cyattack69

Oct 5, 2017
I dont want to get the cart in front of the horse here...but after reading about how much of a dumpster fire KU football is, it just goes to show you how bad things can be, and how lucky we are for CMC. HYPOTHETICALLY, we go to a bowl game this year. Will other programs come calling? And if they do, can we keep him? Id be willing to pay mid to top dollar for him. His staff is solid, he can recruit well, and people are really excited about ISU football. I think if he stays we are consistently in the top of the Big 12 in the next 3 years.

Malone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 7, 2010
Des Moines
I dont want to get the cart in front of the horse here...but after reading about how much of a dumpster fire KU football is, it just goes to show you how bad things can be, and how lucky we are for CMC. HYPOTHETICALLY, we go to a bowl game this year. Will other programs come calling? And if they do, can we keep him? Id be willing to pay mid to top dollar for him. His staff is solid, he can recruit well, and people are really excited about ISU football. I think if he stays we are consistently in the top of the Big 12 in the next 3 years.

Dude, just relax and enjoy. Your insecurity is showing.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
He's signed through 2021 I think. Including 2017, total owed by ISU is 4.5 million and his buyout is that amount. (he was paid $2m in 2016) Should another school be willing to pay ISU that much for CMC that's a good thing, but it also shows JP isn't only offering a one-sided contract and the coach needs to pay us to get out of it, too. He also gets $500k if we go 6-6 and another $100k is we win a bowl game. He's paid based on results, not just a base salary.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
giphy.gif

Cyclophile1

Dec 14, 2009
Overland Park, KS
When his departure happens, it's going to be a "don't be bitter it came to an end, be grateful that the good times happened" kind of situation. Enjoy the ride until that day comes, knowing that his regime will have taken us at least one step forward to being a middle of the pack Big12 program. You never know. Pollard may throw real money at him and extend it 2-3 years until Ohio State comes calling, but until then just salute and enjoy the tangible progress and potential for a culture-changing experience.

Just know that there is a pack of wolves at the door ready to take you down and the margin for victory is razor thin at Iowa State. You can't fall out of bed and make 8-9 wins here like you can at some places. Makes the climb to being a legit program all the sweeter, looking at Baylor falling back to reality and K-State looking at a regime change in the next couple of years. The door is cracked for us to make a move to the middle and possibly stay for a while. Regardless, it's fun to see some momentum with the young talent all over the field. Enjoy the ride.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
I will be utterly shocked if he departs after this season, that's a little premature. Now if we win 8-10 games next season... then I might worry.

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

CRCy

Sep 13, 2016
I will be utterly shocked if he departs after this season, that's a little premature. Now if we win 8-10 games next season... then I might worry.

Agree, won't be this year. And that is if he does decide to go. Maybe he stays.

All that said an upset win and a beat down of the worst team in the Big 12 doesn't mean the season is over. A hell of a lot more games where anything can happen.

Spam

May 21, 2008
What I would hate is another Fred Hoiberg situation. Where simply talk of the coach leaving kills recruiting. That said, not sure how a coach should handle a situation like that.

Spam

May 21, 2008
A quote from Campbell when he was hired.

“This place is special. I’m as loyal as you’re going to get,” Campbell said. “I really believe that the building process in taking something and making it special is what I love to do. That’s not a short-term fix. You’re not going to see a short-term fix by me or my staff. I’m here for the long haul … quite honestly, I look forward to raising my family here in Ames.”

http://www.iowastatedaily.com/sports/article_ac5ca55a-97b4-11e5-832e-97dfc3e11584.html

Maybe typical coachspeak. Hopefully not.

cyclonevac

Feb 11, 2016
CMC likes it here, most of his staff like it here. Although well compensated, he wouldn't look adversely at more money. Look at his staff, MOSTLY young family guys, Ames is a nice place. Remember you're looking at a guy who grew up in a town where THE HIGH SCHOOL COACH would get hung in effigy for losing a football game.

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
CMC is here for the long haul.

It's been 40 years since we had a coach hired away because of his success at Iowa State (and, no, I do not count that weird situation with Chiz). And then it was some real recognized success. Hell, Majors and Bruce won the Big 8 COY three times in the 1970's and were here five years and six years. If we are fortunate to get to 6-6, no big ass name school is going to come calling.