'Clones #3 in home court advantage nationally, according to KenPom

Bewilderme

Apr 11, 2006
Minneapolis
http://www.kansascity.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/campus-corner/article168730742.html

Ken Pomeroy's Big 12 home-court advantage
Team HCA points National rank
Iowa State 4.4 3
Oklahoma State 4.4 4
Kansas State 4.1 11
Texas Tech 4.1 12
Oklahoma 4.0 25
Kansas 3.9 31
West Virginia 3.8 42
Texas 3.7 52
Baylor 3.6 84
TCU 3.3 151

Part of this is a credit to the Big 12, which Pomeroy says has the best home-court advantage of any conference. But it also brings up a philsophical question C.J. Moore and I discussed on our latest episode of the SportsBeat KC podcast.

Iowa State and Kansas State’s fan bases both have the reputation of being boo-heavy, focusing much of their attention on officiating. Could that be the most effective way for fans to influence the game, based on the knowledge that officiating determines much of home-court advantage?

prosey18

Aug 7, 2017
No clue whatsoever how OK State is above us or Kansas. I hate KU like pretty much everyone else here, but I have to admit they do better than bring 10,000 fans when they play Iowa State

• Agree
Reactions: CycoCyclone

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Am I reading this right? A team that had 54 home game winning streak is only ranked 31st? Something doesn't seem right.

To be fair, they could have a lesser home court advantage yet still have that streak because they generally have elite teams in general that would win almost all of those games no matter where the game was played.

That and one might say they seem to get good treatment from the refs at home and on the road, so the differential that others seem to see in terms of better treatment at home doesnt show as much for them.

CloneLawman

Fortis Non Ferox
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
Wherever I go, there I am.
To be fair, they could have a lesser home court advantage yet still have that streak because they generally have elite teams in general that would win almost all of those games no matter where the game was played.

That and one might say they seem to get good treatment from the refs at home and on the road, so the differential that others seem to see in terms of better treatment at home doesnt show as much for them.

Definitely that part.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Holy hell that's a poor article. It's called K-Boo for a reason. OSU as #1 in the B12, most years they have crappy attendance. As much as I love Hilton I could see the Phog being #1, but it's a darn close 1 vs 2 between us and KU for the best home court in the B12.

LOL at Drake being #30 overall.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
Too low. Trash analysis.

We're #1 for teams that don't have an elevation advantage!.

I'm surprised we're that high because it seems like ISU has been playing very well on the road the last couple of years.

BBHMagic

Oct 15, 2009
Am I reading this right? A team that had 54 home game winning streak is only ranked 31st? Something doesn't seem right.
Read the article. It's explained well.

He says the Big XII has the best home court advantage, but with how he came up with his results, I bet that has more to do with with how competitive the conference is. There are SO many close games which would have lead to higher scores from his calculations.

CyJeans

Apr 18, 2017
Beaverdale, IA
Where is Iowa located on this? I am guessing in the triple digits. This is based purely off of the science of **** IOWA.

Also, **** KU

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Seems like flawed methodology - winning at the Phog is a b***h to pull off. They seem to over-value elevation as a criterion but under-value things like Andrew Wiggins or Josh Jackson elevating and dunking on Big12 opponents.

And how do you put a valuation on Svi's non-call travel/game-winner?

• Winner
Reactions: Cat

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron