CAL Athletics in Dire straits

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
OMG 100 years of interest ONLY payments. HAHAHAHA California is SOOO broke. That makes the liar loans of recent residential mortgages look like child's play.

But they are located in Berkely so that went about as I would expect.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
That stadium with those payments is going to cost them over 2 billion dollars. WTH. Seriously realize how good Jamie Pollard actually is. Our stadium is just as good. Our basketball arena is better. The only thing they have more than Iowa State is Darius McNeil.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Cal has an endowment of over $4 billion. I know allocating those funds is very tricky business but I'd think that could help dramatically soften the blow before imploding their athletic department.

They will have to because that debt payment is Never going to work.

Reactions: Knownothing

CyJeans

Apr 18, 2017
Beaverdale, IA
That stadium with those payments is going to cost them over 2 billion dollars. WTH. Seriously realize how good Jamie Pollard actually is. Our stadium is just as good. Our basketball arena is better. The only thing they have more than Iowa State is Darius McNeil.

george_constanza_applause_slow_clap.gif

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
I think a big problem for them and the stadium, besides incompetence, was that it is built on a fault line. So if they have a big earthquake the entire area would likely be devastated but the pile of debt and the football stadium would still be standing. Congrats.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
They don't have a ton of debt. And if worse comes to worse the Chicagoan's will go home.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Jeez, California makes Illinois look rich.

Funny how our richest states -- and California, New York, and Illinois are objectively very wealthy places -- are also our brokest ones, eh?

And evil, low-tax, fiscally conservative Texas keeps humming along and wasting most of its time on bathroom bills that will affect like five people?

Coming to a federal government near you soon.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Borrowing money certainly makes people feel and act rich. Till the game ends. Then they need to find someone to blame so they can play the victim card.

• Agree
Reactions: cyfan21

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
Borrowing money certainly makes people feel and act rich. Till the game ends. Then they need to find someone to blame so they can play the victim card.

That is what our country is doing as a whole. Eventually we will go bankrupt. So California is not doing anything different than the United States and a ton of private folks.

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009
Funny how our richest states -- and California, New York, and Illinois are objectively very wealthy places -- are also our brokest ones, eh?

And evil, low-tax, fiscally conservative Texas keeps humming along and wasting most of its time on bathroom bills that will affect like five people?

Coming to a federal government near you soon.

What? You know Cal is a university in the state of California, correct?

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
Cal has an endowment of over $4 billion. I know allocating those funds is very tricky business but I'd think that could help dramatically soften the blow before imploding their athletic department.

Gotta believe the faculty at Cal (and probably most of the admin) would go bananas if a bunch of endowment money went to the football stadium. Would be fun to watch though.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron