Fantasy Football 2017

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
My 12-team league drew for draft positions and I ended up at 5. Love that position usually, but this year will be interesting. I much prefer getting my RB1 in the first round unless I pick late in the round. At 5 there's no way I'll get Johnson, Bell, or Elliott. So I'm leaning towards taking Melvin Gordon. With Woodhead gone and the Chargers' new coach's offensive style I think Gordon is positioned to have a big year. I've done some mocks where I take Julio or OBJ and can't stomach who I end up with at RB1 on the way back down in the 2nd round.

Curious on others' thoughts about MG at 5.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
My 12-team league drew for draft positions and I ended up at 5. Love that position usually, but this year will be interesting. I much prefer getting my RB1 in the first round unless I pick late in the round. At 5 there's no way I'll get Johnson, Bell, or Elliott. So I'm leaning towards taking Melvin Gordon. With Woodhead gone and the Chargers' new coach's offensive style I think Gordon is positioned to have a big year. I've done some mocks where I take Julio or OBJ and can't stomach who I end up with at RB1 on the way back down in the 2nd round.

Everyone is going to go RB heavy this year early on. The guy that won my big league last year went RB heavy while everyone was going after WR (PPR league) and it paid off big time. Makes me wonder if I go against the grain this year what will happen. I have the second pick so Bell would be the obvious choice at RB or Brown if I go WR.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Everyone is going to go RB heavy this year early on. The guy that won my big league last year went RB heavy while everyone was going after WR (PPR league) and it paid off big time. Makes me wonder if I go against the grain this year what will happen. I have the second pick so Bell would be the obvious choice at RB or Brown if I go WR.

If I had #2 pick I'd take DJ or Bell, whichever one is there. Reason I like going RB1 first when possible is there are so few guys that aren't part of a committee. Get one of those elite guys who doesn't share the backfield and that's clear separation from most of the others at that position. Then I can live with an Amari Cooper-type as my WR1 and then taking another solid WR2 on the way back up in the third.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines

Interesting. His knee injury history might give me pause, but he's playing for a coach who likes to go run heavy and he'll be running behind a retooled offensive line that could be sneaky good. Five feels kind of high but you're right; I think RBs will be at a premium this year. You might have to reach unless you really trust a guy like Lamar Miller or Leonard Fournette or Carlos Hyde on the back end of the second round.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
If I had #2 pick I'd take DJ or Bell, whichever one is there. Reason I like going RB1 first when possible is there are so few guys that aren't part of a committee. Get one of those elite guys who doesn't share the backfield and that's clear separation from most of the others at that position. Then I can live with an Amari Cooper-type as my WR1 and then taking another solid WR2 on the way back up in the third.

DJ will go first for sure in my league. I agree Bell is the smart move there just kicking around the idea of trying a different strategy.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Interesting. His knee injury history might give me pause, but he's playing for a coach who likes to go run heavy and he'll be running behind a retooled offensive line that could be sneaky good. Five feels kind of high but you're right; I think RBs will be at a premium this year. You might have to reach unless you really trust a guy like Lamar Miller or Leonard Fournette or Carlos Hyde on the back end of the second round.

Yeah been burned too many times by Lamar Miller, not going there again. Hyde is on very shaky ground in SF right now. I really like Fournette but just not as a RB1. I agree 5 is probably a bit of a reach on Gordon but he's the guy I want, so I may look into trading down a little.

Jjflm62

Aug 2, 2017
I've been on some other forums in the past that have their own fantasy league on yahoo or espn. Does this group start a fantasy league of their own just for fun? Just a free espn or something? Last place team has to change avatar pic to a rival school is usually the bet we made.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Six game suspension for Ezekiel. I imagine he'll appeal, but looks like he could miss serious time. Will be interesting to see how far he falls.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Six game suspension for Ezekiel. I imagine he'll appeal, but looks like he could miss serious time. Will be interesting to see how far he falls.

How far do you think he'll drop? I'm picking ninth overall in a ten team league, and I'm toying with the idea of taking him right there. Even if he doesn't get the suspension reduced or held off in court, that's still ten games from a guy who would have gone first or second overall. I could also probably get him with the second pick in the second round. I'm guessing if I don't take the plunge there then someone else will before I pick again at the end of the third round. I feel like I could cobble together a .500 record until he comes back, and then I've got the best or second best fantasy RB in the league for the rest of the season.

ZB4CY

Dec 17, 2012
2nd year of my Dynasty league.

Overall pretty fun, a lot of trading leading up to the draft for picks.

Cyclone.TV

Sep 3, 2016
I still can't believe people have drafts that aren't auction anymore. It's like using a flip phone in 2017.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
How far do you think he'll drop? I'm picking ninth overall in a ten team league, and I'm toying with the idea of taking him right there. Even if he doesn't get the suspension reduced or held off in court, that's still ten games from a guy who would have gone first or second overall. I could also probably get him with the second pick in the second round. I'm guessing if I don't take the plunge there then someone else will before I pick again at the end of the third round. I feel like I could cobble together a .500 record until he comes back, and then I've got the best or second best fantasy RB in the league for the rest of the season.

I've done some mocks and he hasn't gone in the first round in any of them. Usually early- to mid-2nd round. I'd be surprised if he wasn't there for you in the 2nd. Doubt he'd be there for you in the 3rd.

Reactions: jbindm

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver

I think that's who I would take there assuming Julio is gone and OBJ is still left.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I've done some mocks and he hasn't gone in the first round in any of them. Usually early- to mid-2nd round. I'd be surprised if he wasn't there for you in the 2nd. Doubt he'd be there for you in the 3rd.

Yeah. If he's still there with the second pick in the second round I'm taking him. I can stay afloat for the first six weeks without him. And if the suspension ends up reduced, so much the better.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Yeah. If he's still there with the second pick in the second round I'm taking him. I can stay afloat for the first six weeks without him. And if the suspension ends up reduced, so much the better.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's dropped to 4.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
I just did a mock with 5th pick, 12 team 1 pt ppr. Here's my lineup:

QB - E. Manning
RB - M. Gordon
RB - T. Gurley
WR - B. Cooks
WR - D. Adams
TE - J. Reed
Flex - H. Henry
DEF - Pittsburgh
K - M. Prater

BN - D. Woodhead RB
BN - D. Moncrief WR
BN - D. Parker WR
BN - K. Britt WR
BN - J. Hill RB
BN - T. Lockett WR

Not thrilled with my WRs, but when Gurley was there with my 2nd round pick had to take him.

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
I'm drafting 5th on Saturday, will most likely be deciding between McCoy, Gordon, OBJ, or Julio (Not necessarily in that order)

Usually prefer to go RB first, but not sure what I'm gonna do..

cyclonpediaJoe

Jun 27, 2012
Norwalk
I just did a mock with 5th pick, 12 team 1 pt ppr. Here's my lineup:

QB - E. Manning
RB - M. Gordon
RB - T. Gurley
WR - B. Cooks
WR - D. Adams
TE - J. Reed
Flex - H. Henry
DEF - Pittsburgh
K - M. Prater

BN - D. Woodhead RB
BN - D. Moncrief WR
BN - D. Parker WR
BN - K. Britt WR
BN - J. Hill RB
BN - T. Lockett WR

Not thrilled with my WRs, but when Gurley was there with my 2nd round pick had to take him.
Ballsy! You got some grey hairs on the bench.

DaHiltonHaus1

Apr 28, 2017
A perfect team for 12 team league by round

1- Juice Bell
2- Zeke the Freak
3- Tommy Boy
4- Diggs
5- Jamison Crowder
6- Eifert
7- John Brown

If you want to win your league, you need an elite QB. Too many people made the mistake going risky on QB's the last few years (Bortles last year, Tannehill 2 yrs ago, RG3 outside his rookie year and many more). Finding other positions seems easier. Finding the right QB is tough. And mark my words, if you draft Andrew Luck or Cam Newton, you will lose your league.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron