"The Worst Band of all Time"

flynnhicks03

The Man That You Love to Hate
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
www.mapcon.com
I've been reading a lot lately about one of the most polarizing bands ever, The Shaggs. They could hardly play their instruments, or carry a tune, but there's something interesting, almost hypnotic, about their music. Zappa and Cobain both listed "Philosophy of the World" among their top 5 all-time favorites. Here are a couple of articles and the title track to their album (also, check out "My Pal Foot Foot" if you want more). Fascinating stuff.

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/1999/09/27/meet-the-shaggs

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/f...ivisive-philosophy-of-the-world-album-w437682

Last edited:

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
I've been reading a lot lately about one of the most polarizing bands ever, The Shaggs. They could hardly play their instruments, or carry a tune, but there's something interesting, almost hypnotic, about their music. Zappa and Cobain both listed "Philosophy of the World" among their top 5 all-time favorites. Here are a couple of articles and the title track to their album (also, check out "My Pal Foot Foot" if you want more). Fascinating stuff.

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/1999/09/27/meet-the-shaggs

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/f...ivisive-philosophy-of-the-world-album-w437682

I may have read more about The Shaggs over the years than actually listening to much of the band's music. Didn't their dad pretty much finance all their studio time? (I didn't read the "meet the shaggs" link you included, yet; I'm sure such details are there).

Maybe they should be dubbed The Godmothers of Lo-Fi or something like that.

I admire their audacity, if nothing else. Closest description of Shaggs music for me, it's like kids pretending they're accomplished pop songwriters in an established band.

Reactions: Angie

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
I would like to amend a previous statement describing Shaggs music:

Closest description of Shaggs music for me, it's like kids pretending they're accomplished pop songwriters in an established band — because they want to be in a band like that.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
"And the skinny people want what the fat people's got and the fat people want what the skinny people's got."

I like it.

Reactions: cyclones500

josh777

Apr 13, 2006
That was frustrating to listen to...terribly offbeat. Seems like an attempt by musical elitists to make something cool that is terrible.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: StClone

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
When I saw the thread title, I thought this was going to be a thread about Nickelback.

I'd probably enjoy Nickelback slightly more if hearing both for the first time ever...but it's a no doubter that I enjoyed my first listening of "Philosophy of the World" more than hearing another opening of "Never made it as a wise man".

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
So basically the Shags were the precursor to the "Friday" chick. Pops buys some studio time and the talentless kid puts out something awful yet strangely amusing?

flynnhicks03

The Man That You Love to Hate
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
www.mapcon.com
I may have read more about The Shaggs over the years than actually listening to much of the band's music. Didn't their dad pretty much finance all their studio time? (I didn't read the "meet the shaggs" link you included, yet; I'm sure such details are there).

Maybe they should be dubbed The Godmothers of Lo-Fi or something like that.

I admire their audacity, if nothing else. Closest description of Shaggs music for me, it's like kids pretending they're accomplished pop songwriters in an established band.

It almost sounds like an early demo of something by the Velvet Underground with Nico on vocals, but Lou and the gang had taken too many drugs that day and forgot how to play.

IsUaClone2

May 12, 2006
Northville, MI
This reminds me of my high school and college days. Back then, DJs were not a thing. Records were played for high school hops but live music was used for college parties and dances. Consequently there were lots of bands formed to accommodate the demand and earn a few bucks. The half-life of many of these bands was very short because they sounded like the Shaggs. Listening to the posted song brought back memories; unfortunately the painful ones.