Memphis

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
What happens to this program over the next few years? Over the last week they've lost their coach, likely the best recruiting class ever, and had a coaching search where they were turned down multiple times and eventually had to hire one of Cal's former assistants.

They still have a ton of talent right now, especially in relation to the rest of C-USA. However it really seems like the shine is off that program and they lost their connection to Worldwide Wes.

I personally think they'll stay a very solid mid-major and win that program just about every year (Although Davis at UAB could challenge) but they will fade in the overall basketball landscape especially as C-USA will really be a crap league now that they don't have Memphis and Cal to hang their hats on.

gocubs2118

Mar 31, 2006
Illinois
Conference USA just got competitive again. They will still be the favorites, at least next year but other teams will be right there with them.

hursts

Apr 10, 2006
I think Josh Pastner will be the real deal as a coach. He will be a tremendous recruiter and I think Memphis will consistently be a top ten program for a long time to come.

PGreen ISU '92

Mar 6, 2008
Waukee, IA
My prediction is that they will fall back to the rest of Conference USA. I think they will always be in the mix as far as winning that conference but long-term I don’t think it’s going to be a consistent Top 10 or even Top 25 program.

Clone5

Jun 3, 2008
Iowa
Coach Cal was Memphis and although he may have put them on the map with recruits they won't stay a national or conference power.

Harry

Mar 27, 2006
Memphis made the final four before Cal was the coach. They can get there again. This has been a solid program for years.

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
I think they'll be a bit like Gonzaga.

Tops in their conference and a player on the national scene and in the tourney. But not much of a championship threat like they've been in recent years.

drmwevr08

Nov 25, 2006
Tempe, az
Memphis made the final four before Cal was the coach. They can get there again. This has been a solid program for years.

only once officially :wink:

They have definitely managed to get good now and again despite issues in between.

NewCoke

Jan 20, 2009
I say that as long as they remain on the top of C-USA every year they can regain their status. It obviously will take a long time and a great coach to get up to where they were, but what college kid would want to go their if they are guaranteed a spot in the big dance every year. They won't be competing with Duke, UNC, UCLA, KU types for a long time if ever, but I think they will still be relevant on the national scene.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I see another conf championship for LE!

Not if he keeps coaching Southern Miss the way he has been coaching them. They're better than they've been historically, but take Memphis out of the equation and they're still not winning the conference.

mplscyclone

Jul 8, 2008
Ames, IA
I agree that they will be like a Gonzaga. Cal put this program back on the map and have been that way for 9 years. The new coach is a good recruiter and will a good job. Add the fact they play in a weaker conference, and I see them as being in the tourney almost every year.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
"The bigger they are, the bigger the fall."

THE BIG SHOW, largest active athlete.

hurdleisu24

Bookie
Sep 13, 2008
New York
I don't think they will be at the Gonzaga level. I think they will be good but not at that level. I was thinking that they maybe in that Temple range in a couple of years where they are good not great and the conference has caught them and they are no longer the shoe in favorite in the conference

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron