Alamo Bowl moved to January

JonDMiller

Jun 2, 2006
This is one of my favorite bowl games, year in and year out. I love it because of the Big 10-Big 12 tie in, plus, I think it might be the best city to actually go to a bowl game for, due to the proximity of everything being downtown along the Riverwalk. When ISU goes to this game, trust me, you will all talk about how much fun it was.

MontyBurns

Jan 27, 2008
No argument that San Antonio (& Austin) are great cities.

But do we really need another bowl game between also-ran 4th, 5th, or 6th place teams to take place in January, after the BCS bowls? The bowl season is long enough as it is, we don't need to keep moving more bowls into January.

gocubs2118

Mar 31, 2006
Illinois
No argument that San Antonio (& Austin) are great cities.

But do we really need another bowl game between also-ran 4th, 5th, or 6th place teams to take place in January, after the BCS bowls? The bowl season is long enough as it is, we don't need to keep moving more bowls into January.

This isn't making the Bowl season longer, I don't know what your talking about.

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
I agree with JDM and MB... is that even possible???!!!

SA is the bowl I am anxious to get to and watch ISU.

However and IMO, the BCS game should be the last game played in January AND happen on Jan 1st.

-keep

ripvdub

Mar 20, 2006
Iowa
How long til ALL bog Ten bowl games are on New Years, yet they will still brag about it.

cyingreen

Nov 13, 2006
Jasper County
Moving the Alamo Bowl to January is of the utmost importance, 'cause it means the hawks can finish in the middle or just below the middle of the Big Televen, and still have a shot at keeping their "January Bowl" streak going. Isn't that what it's all about?:wink:

JonDMiller

Jun 2, 2006
Moving the Alamo Bowl to January is of the utmost importance, 'cause it means the hawks can finish in the middle or just below the middle of the Big Televen, and still have a shot at keeping their "January Bowl" streak going. Isn't that what it's all about?:wink:

Now you are talking!

TarHeelHawk

Oct 22, 2008
W. Des Moines
How is that lame?

Because Monty said it was? So they moved the game up 24 hoursl; it was all ready played late on New Years Eve anyway, so....it's not a big deal.

I'm willing to bet that ESPN had something to do with it, as the Outback was/is usually their last (or first) broadcast of the season, and they weren't getting their cut of the primetime action.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Because Monty said it was? So they moved the game up 24 hoursl; it was all ready played late on New Years Eve anyway

Not since 1994:
Dec. 28 - 4
Dec. 29 - 7
Dec. 30 - 3
Dec. 31 - 2 (1993, 1994 -- the first two games)

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
This isn't making the Bowl season longer, I don't know what your talking about.

I agree. I love all the bowls - even the minor ones are usually exciting. Who cares when the bowl game is played?
For those that think there are too many bowls, or too many in January, then...just...don't...watch...them.

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX
IMO only BCS bowls should be allowed to be on or after January 1st. Getting to January bowl should be a great accomplishment, like going to any bowl game once used to be. Now half of all teams make bowl games, and it's not as big of an accomplishment. There needs to be greater recognition for teams with truly great seasons. January bowls.

Drive4cy

Nov 17, 2006
I always enjoyed this game a few days before New Years. This and the Holiday Bowl we're nice appetizers for the BCS games.

Oh well, still a great bowl.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Now a 6-6 team can go to a january bowl. Hawk fans, January bowls don't mean any more than any other bowl now-a-days. There are several more prestigious bowls than the Alamo or Outback that play in December (Holiday, for example). If we ever go to the Alamo Bowl, I will not run around bragging about a "january bowl". I'll be pumped for a bowl, but I'm not going to act like it's some massive bestowing of prestige. Somebody hold me to this, please.

4429 mcc

Aug 29, 2007
Wall Street
How long til ALL bog Ten bowl games are on New Years, yet they will still brag about it.

Agreed the "New Years Day" bowl has lost its luster and should not be used like this: its ____ 3rd January bowl game in the last 5 years...lame.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron